2004-09-28 - Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-09-28 - Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Any word on the set yet? This is the latest yet! Someone had to be there...
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

Setlist - Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, GA Sept. 28, 2004
As Makeshift As We Are
Grace, Too
Poets
Summer's Killing Us
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
700 ft. Ceiling
You're Everywhere
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Courage
Goodnight Josephine
100th Meridian
Springtime In Vienna
Mean Streak
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus The Polar Bear From Central Park
My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Scared
Blow At High Dough

2nd Encore:
Vaccination Scar
Fire In The Hole
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Great to see Joe and Ballroom (You're Everywhere) back in the lineup. 700ft. Ceiling is a nice touch too!

Anybody go to the show?

Would love to hear how Atlanta responded to the Hip!
rhanscom
New Maybe
New Maybe

Great Show!

Post by rhanscom »

After a several month wait, we finally had a chance to see the latest show here in the ATL. What a great show and very hot list of songs. The highlight had to be Courage. Gord and the boys rocked it up a bit more than in the past and his rant was engosssing.

I was impressed with crowds energy. I have attended every show the band has performed here in Atlanta and this one was consistent with the past shows. They played the Variety Playhouse again after playing The Roxy during the last two tours. Although I like the old venue better, the VP was not too bad. There was an typically large number of Canadians on hand and you canucks clearly show your country's colors (and jerseys) when rocking to the Hip. The only humorous demonstaration was the dude holding up a Canadian $10 bill to show his patriotism... Anyway back to the show. They opened up with Makeshift and seemed to feel their way into the grove. I saw the two Gords really checking out the the interest level of the crowd early in the show. But, after the very enthusiastic reception they kicked into gear and put on a great show. I loved the mix of old and new songs and only wished we could have heard The Darkest One. The music was awsome and their presentation was even better. Gord was on and the sound was very good. I 'll get another chance to see the band in Ashville later this year and I cannot wait!
mikeysaint
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mikeysaint »

The crows seemed smaller than I expected but on a tuesday night not bad. This was the first show in quite awhile that I was actually close to the stage without having to fight to the front. All in all the set list was realy good.

Met Sam Roberts after the show and he was a really cool guy.

Sorry I am not a wordsmith on my review but still suffering from some tinnitus and a small hangover.

In short not quite as good as Cleveland but the drive home was much better.
jyoun15
New Maybe
New Maybe

Hip Rocked ATL

Post by jyoun15 »

I've seen all the Atlanta shows since 98 (Phantom) and I thought this was the best yet. I thought Altanta responded great to the best band on the planet. I was up front, so I don't know how full it was in the back, but the floor was crowded and loving it. The guys never dissapoint. They are awesome - and Atlanta loved it.

"The highlight had to be Courage"
The funny thing was I was talking before the show about never having a "wish list" but instead a "don't need to hear again" list. I said "Courage" Fireworks and and NOIS (without an interlude) were on that list. Turns out Courage WAS a highlight." They love that song and so do I. It's off the list. NOIS is still on it.

700ft was a cool surprise, and so was Youre Everywhere (my fav on the new one). I was disappointed with Fire for the closer - especially when I saw Bones was on the setlist - to me Bones is a much better song.

Speaking for Atlanta, "Hip, we love you. And the Variety beats the hell out of Roxy for a venue."
Zunni
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Zunni »

I didn't know this site existed and was looking for a place to find a "news" review of the show.. Barring that this is fantastic..

Myself and my wife were there...

We brought a full size Canadian Flag (3 ft by 5 ft) that normally hangs in my office, so if anyone saw it draped across a few seats in the 3rd row during intermission or held up while the Hip was onstage, HI!

This was my first Hip show, and I really appreciated getting to see them in a small venue in a small group of people.. It really made the show intimate..

Highlight of the night was certainly Courage...

Wish they had played 38 years old.. But the other "oldies" they played were certainly great... I had never heard the stuff from 2000-2002 but loved Music @ work and have just ordered the CD...

I agree with the earlier comments about the crowd being hot, and partisan.. I met more Canadians, or Americans married to Canadians than I thought lived in Atlanta...

I took a couple of pics of the guys but being we were in the seats (about 30 feet away), they didn't turn out great.. I did get a nice pic of me holding the flag in front of the Variety Playhouse Sign and a picture of a guy from Halifax wearing an autographed Stompin' Tom T-Shirt.. I'll post links to these later..

My other high-light was seeing a guy with a Leafs Jersey signed by OLP..

Anyway, nice to see Atlanta represent, and I hope I get to see the guys again..