2004-10-15 - Minneapolis, MN - The Quest

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

txedomoon
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by txedomoon »

Rested and ready for the review... Returned to Fargo by 4:30 Saturday morning.. ears still ringing.. but still charged from yet another excellent Hip experience. After talking with some great folks outside the venue... I think we were about #15-16-17 in line. (not bad)... we made our way to the balcony; perched damn near directly above Paul. Cool vantage point.. not the best of sound - vocals (and the rants) were muffled.. but the band itself -- wow it was like sitting in on a rehearsal (VERY COOL) As said here earlier -- a very animated Gord... Bobby playing some new guitars and doing his moves which always reminds me of a six-string magician conjuring a spell over the crowd... Gord S., what can ya say there. the guy is all rock-n-roll - but never looks up. LOL... Johnny's drums were amazing from the balcony.... thus making my recording a clinic for any one studying his technique. (so as far as any trades - this is my way of saying - ya gotta be a pretty seriouis fan to want to hear this one - hoping someone back by the soundboard had better luck.) I think 1st Ave is the better club for taping the band... but ya gotta love the intimacy of the quest. to be close enough to see the sweat run off gord's elbow while he strummed the accoustic. sheeezus... Oh and he broke two strings on ABAC - the top E went first and then the A... blew me away. HOW DO YOU BREAK THOSE TWO!?!?! There were a couple dropped lyrics - Nashville pops to mind. But Gordie made up it elsewhere in the show - different phrasings on many older songs (My first time seeing Inevitability of Death) - and just sheer dynamic stage presence. (He told me after the show that he had to get along - he was "fighting something" and needed to get some rest.) Hats off to him - helluva show AND you're under the weather. Total pro. And I'd better mention Paul - being above him the rail actually blocked my view - unless I leaned over - but you could hear him. the Gibson's were signin'. Wow - such a tone - classic and unmistakable.
This may not have surpassed the Music@Work at the Zoo show (Night two) - But it rivaled the First Ave appearance from IVL - and the bird's eye view definitely scored this one high for me. Bring on show #7.
fireinthehole
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by fireinthehole »

This was only my third Hip show but it was probably my favorite one to date. My wife and I were right along the railing to the right of Lance and Lynette who we met outside before the show. Sam Roberts warmed things up nicely and the Hip didn't dissappoint. I was really happy to hear Grace and Kings in their set as I'd never heard them live before.

All in all, it was a great experience. Except the two above mentioned drunken idiots, the crowd was very respectful of each other but still full of energy. I don' think anyone even brushed up against me until the encore. My only minor disspointment was that they didn't get to Little Bones at the end of their setlist, but I can't complain.

Steve
brent99
New Maybe
New Maybe

chants

Post by brent99 »

hey guys and gals....

it was a terrific show but it wasn't a 'go jets go' chant, it was a 'go riders go' chant......we were trying to get johnny's attention with his saskatchewan roughriders t-shirt on.....

too bad about encore #2, but what can you do......

later

ps. go riders go
cpgash
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cpgash »

Very nice show - not for the meek or timid. I was pretty much in the same place on the floor for this show as I was for the First Ave show in 2002 (five bodies back - between Gord & Gordie). While the sound quality was a little better in 2002 (the sound system might have been a little too much for the venue), the energy of this show was far superior. The stage was only about 75 feet wide and, with the balcony hanging right over the stage, the energy used to fill arenas throughout Canada was funnelled into the size of a basketball court.

My wife and I followed the band to Chicago for Saturday night's show. We were on the floor for that show, too. And, from a band standpoint, they were just as "on" as Friday night (including a wonderful Mr. Microphone rant during "Courage" that I hope shows up on a boot somewhere). The sound quality was much better, too. However, the crowd was dead compared to the Quest. Really took the edge off of an otherwise excellent show.
Ponch
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Ponch »

Actually...it was a 'Go Jets Go' chant. It was at the end when everyone was leaving the bar. There was a guy wearing a Jets jersey who was leading the charge.
brent99
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by brent99 »

ahhhh crap....did anyone hear the 'go riders go' chants between songs??
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

awesome, "go riders go" I would have loved to hear it, im a huge riders fan. rider pride is canada wide.
bennytth
New Maybe
New Maybe

The Quest Show - Mpls, MN

Post by bennytth »

I was at the Quest show and want to offer up "my side of the story"! I was the guy who splashed the beer in an arc across the stage; a regretable act, caused by a drunken chick behind me. I was at the stage, as have been for at least a dozen shows. In anticipation of another great show, I was there before the doors opened and enjoyed conversing with Hip fans from all points. As the Sam Roberts show ended, I noticed the chick was getting boisterous and loosing coordination. As the Hip came on and we all went crazy, the problem got bad. She was holding a long-neck beer bottle and kept hitting me in the head as she fell back and forth, I let her know to quit at least 1/2 a dozen times before ripping it from her hand. Because I was holding the rail with my left hand, I had to reach with my right hand, over my left shoulder and grab the bottle with the next blow to my head, not smart. As I pulled it from her hand, a natural arc of beer went from left to right across the stage. Gordie obviously had no idea what happened and went nuts. I felt like a kid being berated by an angry parent. Needless to say, I felt bad about the deal, yet had no way to say, I'm sorry. I have pictures of Gordie with me, signed setlists from him, signed t-shirts, etc. Called me obsessed, but call me an "evangelist" of the Hip, spreading the word and getting people to dig their tunes. To say my night was ruined is an understatement. After seeing the Hip from the stage since the first Mpls show after Road Apples and everyone since, Zoo shows, Orpheum, 1st Ave, CA, CO, Duluth, etc, I am realizing that TOO MANY DRUNKS are ruining it for fans who really want to enjoy the Hip and their music and NOT RUIN OTHER PEOPLES' NIGHTS! If anyone can pass this not along to the band I would appreciate it. At least I provided everyone with a GREAT Gordie rant! Too bad it was directed right at me, one of Gordie and the Hip's biggest fans! Sorry that it probably cost us a second encore.
brent99
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by brent99 »

thanks for your side of the story....

i thought gord's rant added intensity to the show without ruining anything. we were all loving it from the other side of the stage, but felt bad for the person(s) that spilt the beer...we knew it would not be on purpose...

does anyone have a audio/video copy of the show yet??