2004-10-15 - Minneapolis, MN - The Quest

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-15 - Minneapolis, MN - The Quest

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
dfrolick
New Maybe
New Maybe

Quest Show

Post by dfrolick »

Just got back...Very Good show. The best of the 4 I've seen in Mpls. Gord was VERY animated which made for an entertaining show. Many rants and high energy as usual. Set List was great as well...(off the top of my head in no particular order)Grace, NOIS, Bobcaygeon, Makeshift; VS;ABAC;Wheat Kings,Nautical, Summer, Music @ Work;Gus, Nashville,Heaven, Family, Poets,Meridian, Inevitability Of Death, Courage ended with Blow. They never disappoint. The venue was alright. I snagged a spot up in the balcony which allowed a great view from above. Sam Roberts was a great choice as oan opener. Very good as well.
dfrolick
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dfrolick »

One more thing. I saw a few tapers at the show and would love to get a copy.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

Friday, October 15, 2004
Setlist - The Quest, Minneapolis, MN Oct 15, 2004
Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
My Music @ Work
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Ahead By A Century
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
As Makeshift As We Are
Inevitability Of Death
Are We Family
At The Hundredth Meridian
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Poets
New Orleans Is Sinking

Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Wheat Kings
Blow At High Dough
eriehip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by eriehip »

What, no "Good Life". When are you supposed to take a beer and bathroom break ? ;)
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

eriehip wrote:What, no "Good Life". When are you supposed to take a beer and bathroom break ? ;)
I'm glued to the stage for Good life... the way Gord emotes and drives the chorus with every thing he's got is fantatsic. It looks like his neck is about to explode.
chucky
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by chucky »

There were a number of songs I didn't hear that I expected to. Good life, Fireworks,...

In fact, I don't recall them playing anything off of Road Apples or In Violet Light.

The show rocked though. That's the first time I've seen them in a smaller venue (i.e. the first time I've seen them outside Canada)
Kyle
New Maybe
New Maybe

Great show in Minneapolis

Post by Kyle »

This was the smallest venue that I've seen the hip play. Having seen them play at the ACC, molson amphitheatre, and Massey hall, I would have to say that this was the best performance to date. This was an intimate venue with a crowd of approximately 500 people. It was full of raw energy. When first appearing on the stage, the hip appeared physically exhausted. They looked as tired as anyone who had been touring america for a month a half would be. However, once they cranked out vaccination scar, it was obvious that they were ready to rock!!! Vaccination scar came off as an aggressive performance. It demonstrated that the hip were ready to rock regardless of how hard touring in a bus can be. Downie was full of energy, demonstrating trademark moves like "the microphone battle and defeat", "ridin the mic", and "canoeing". Grace too was incredible, filled with many rants. During one moment of grace too, an audience member threw water at the stage, and Downie yelled out "don't throw f#@*in water!" After this incident, Downie expressed some brief views on the iraq war. Are we family, and at the hundreth meridian also stood out as solid tracks. The light show was a great complement to the music. Near the end of the show, a few audience members were becoming increasingly intoxicated, and created some interesting moments, such as an individual having their head cracked on the rail in front of the stage, both individuals who were involved were immediately ejected from the show. Downie addressed the audience at the end of the show with "thank you music lovers"
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Hey Foks, we are finally back from Minneapolis. We had a great time. The show was amazing, Lynette and I's first small venue show. We showed up early and got great spots, right on the rail, front and center. Sam Roberts opened with a ton of energy, and made a comment on how early it was. The venue was very small, I couldn't believe The Hip where playing this place. Great rants, Grace, Too stands out for me when the guy 3 people to my left dropped his beer and splashed all over everyone and Gord. He ranted about "if this was war I would shoot first and ask questions later" and how he was going to rip him to peices and beat him with the mic stand. Gord also had a great battle with the mic stand, the stand won this round. Nothing special stood out setlist wise, other then IOD and that was a treat for me! Of all the DVDs I have watched I have never seen Gord move this much, paddling, riding the mic 2 or 3 different occations and running on the spot. Just amazing!

Some drunk people about 5 people back where trying to get to the front and the finally did by the encore, but they knock almost everyone down and crushed me in the process. When they got to the front they just stood there for a minute then someone kicked them out. I got thrown 4 or 5 rows back from Lynette and some nice soul locked hands with me and pulled me back to the front. I thank you whoever you are. Other then that this was a amazing Hip show! I saw 2 people with mics, one by the board and one guy above us in the balcony. I also seen a video camera when I was leaving, I have no idea how it was set up. I have a few pictures that I will post later. Also Lynette got a setlist and I can scan that if anyone wants to see what they where going to play!
Kyle
New Maybe
New Maybe

quest club

Post by Kyle »

No problems Mrlayance, I believe I was up front with you guys when that nut case came barreling down, and pulled you back up. Great show nonetheless!!!!!!! yaaaaaaaa!

Kyle from Thunder Bay
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Re: quest club

Post by mrlayance »

Kyle wrote:No problems Mrlayance, I believe I was up front with you guys when that nut case came barreling down, and pulled you back up. Great show nonetheless!!!!!!! yaaaaaaaa!

Kyle from Thunder Bay
HAHA, this is amazing! Thank You very much, I owe you big time!
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

mrlayance wrote:Some drunk people about 5 people back where trying to get to the front and the finally did by the encore, but they knock almost everyone down and crushed me in the process.
:x Why do people have to be so rude? Drunken idiots :rambo: That has happened to us so many times at general admission shows that we finally have just given up, we just stick to the back. Sucks that people feel the need to ruin it for everyone else. (pisses me off though when we get there early, have a good spot and then get pushed out because someone feels that they deserve to be there more)

Yeah Lance..that would be cool if you scanned the setlist though :D
PRINCESS
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by PRINCESS »

Hello,

The show was a lot of fun. I knew most of the songs, so that made it even better for me. Lance and I were singing and dancing around, and met some really nice people. Hope they will soon become part of the Hipbase.

I didnt let any drunken fools get to my prime location. I held on to the railing really tight, and kept my spot the whole time. Could also be that Im a girl and no one really wanted to push me around?!?

Either way, we had a great time at the show. Gord is so Chrismatic and animated! I loved the small venue, hope that we will be able to attend another in the future.

Oh yea,,,, I got the Set List too. The bouncer was so nice, put it straight in my hand. A bunch of other people with longer arms were right in his face,, and he missed them all to put it straight into my hand!! The people next to us got Johnny's Drumsticks. They were pretty big Hip fans, so that was good, they were nice too!!!

All from me,

Lynette
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Ponch
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Ponch »

Hello all. Melanie and I just got back to Winnipeg from Minneapolis. What a great show, in a great small venue. I'd have to agree that there were no more than 500 people there. Lucky us.

Mel and I also got a spot right at the rail, directly in front of Paul. The drunk beside Lance were directly to the right of us, and I guess Lance and Lynette were on the other side of them. We spoke with them just before Sammy went on stage, and one of the guys was formally of Carmen, MB, but now lives in the Minneapolis area. His buds were down to see him, and I guess they wanted to tie one on. Not sure how their memories of the show will be...It's too bad they acted like idiots, but it could in no way dampen an amazing show.

Anyway, on to the show. I couldn't believe I was standing 3 feet from Paul, and 5-6 feet from Gord and the gang the entire show. It was like seeing the old house bands play at the old WiseGuys bar in downtown Winnipeg. Amazing. The boys were on fire too, and Gord was his classic self. His rants were great, and I also especially loved it when he gave in to the guy in front that dropped his beer everywhere.

Great setlist, though it's too bad it was 'hip-hop' night at the bar, and the boys couldn't get on for a second encore. I found that kinda funny.

Great show, great weekend. I honestly think there were more Manitobans, and Winnipeggers at the show, than Americans. I must have met over a dozen Peggers, and a few other folks from Manitoba, and Ontario. The Go Jets Go chant at the ends was kinda cool too.

It was our first big Hip Trip, and it was well worth the drive. I also got a setlist. I got the one that was just in front of Paul. It is my first actual setlist. Pretty cool.

Can't wait to see them in the new MTS center next month.