2004-10-13 - Denver, CO - Gothic Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
hasnt Sam roberts been around longer than jet
Actually, upon doing a little research, it's too close to call. From Amazon.com, their initial releases were both released early 2003 yet I seem to remember seeing Sam perform earlier than that and I thought his album was out already.

So the mystery continues.....

Actually, Sam was the lead singer/guitarist of a band called Northstar before he did the solo thing. From what I know, they released at least one CD independently, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I remember Sam mentioning in an interview that Northstar broke up around '98 or '99. So there's your answer. Personally I think Sam Roberts is a lot more original than Jet and I don't think he sounds anything like them, but maybe that's just me.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Personally I think Sam Roberts is a lot more original than Jet and I don't think he sounds anything like them, but maybe that's just me.
Agreed!
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

im not a fan of jet, but definitely a fan of sam
msvb60
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by msvb60 »

I'd never heard of Sam before and have only seen Jet in passing through MTV. So I have no basis for comparison, just felt very similar. But, what do I know.
msvb60
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by msvb60 »

Stephen Dame wrote: Don't I know it dude, there are no single women left. Ya got any sisters?
After the way things ended with the girl from Ottawa, I've sworn off women for a bit. But this girl at the show... She could make me change my mind.

I see that the Hip are headed your way. Any idea where in Ottawa they're playing? I'd be curious to see what their like in a bigger forum. I really liked the show here at the Gothic because it's so small.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

msvb60 wrote:
Stephen Dame wrote: Don't I know it dude, there are no single women left. Ya got any sisters?
After the way things ended with the girl from Ottawa, I've sworn off women for a bit. But this girl at the show... She could make me change my mind.

I see that the Hip are headed your way. Any idea where in Ottawa they're playing? I'd be curious to see what their like in a bigger forum. I really liked the show here at the Gothic because it's so small.
They're playing the 12,000 seat Civic Centre at the end of November, as well as a small club gig downtown next week. For me, nothing beats the atmosphere of big, outdoor, summer festivals... but the Civc Centre show should be fun.
Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

Why are they playing the Civic anyway? The could sell out the Corel Centre for sure..... and it's not like they'd be conflicting with any hockey dates! ;)

But I'll be enjoying it from the 6th row anyway...... closest I've been since the first time they've played at the Metro Centre in Halifax, oh so many years ago.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Gangrel wrote:Why are they playing the Civic anyway? The could sell out the Corel Centre for sure..... and it's not like they'd be conflicting with any hockey dates! ;)

But I'll be enjoying it from the 6th row anyway...... closest I've been since the first time they've played at the Metro Centre in Halifax, oh so many years ago.
Sens had (and still have actually...) all the dates booked at the Corel Centre which would have fit in between Toronto and Montreal on the original sched. So, even though they're not playing, they're to blame for the Civic Centre shift.

Although, that is the site of this years Grey Cup. Hopefully that party atmosphere will still be rock'n the Glebe.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

I really don't know if they COULD sell out the corel center... they haven't even sold out the civic center yet... there are still first bowl tickets available!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

ShannonW wrote:I really don't know if they COULD sell out the corel center... they haven't even sold out the civic center yet... there are still first bowl tickets available!

Same thing with the Saddledome here in Cowtown. All of the floor seats are sold out, but there are still plenty of upper and lower bowl tickets available. I hate to say it, but with the exception of Toronto and Hamilton, they just can't sell out the big rinks anymore. Five years ago they'd be playing no less than 2-3 dates in each city with each show selling out within minutes, but those days are obviously gone. In my opinion, the success of the IVL tour proved that smaller venues/theatres is where this band belongs now. Not only is the sound and lighting in these venues much better, but it's also a better way for the fans to experience the Hip's increasingly sophisticated sound. And of course my favorite thing about theatre shows is that the drunken crowd-surfing/stupidness factor is significantly toned down, which is as great for Gord and the band as it is for us. I was really surprised when they announced that they'd be doing arenas again this year.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

You have to factor in that the boys have already been on tour for four months and when they roll through Ottawa in November, it'll be the third time this tour (One a club gig, and the other to 30,000 people, more than twice the capacity of the Civic Centre and 10,000 larger than the Corel Centre)

If they had held off on the secret dates, the psuedo tour and gone straight to the big arena's after IBE was released, I don't think they'd have any trouble selling out the big rinks.

I don't think the fanbase is diminishing much, it's just that most folks aren't like us: once a tour is enough.
msvb60
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by msvb60 »

I've only seen them twice and both times at the Gothic here in Denver, which as just a wild guess MIGHT hold 1000 people. I guess not having seen them in larger venues I can't imagine them playing the Corel Center. I'd be curious to see the differences in the vibe of the shows.
briansmccabe
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by briansmccabe »

Hey msvb60, which night at the Gothic in '02 were you at? I was at both of them (but I missed the '04 show). BTW, the gothic holds 400.
Voluba
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Voluba »

Achtung!!