2004-10-09 - Portland, OR - Aladdin Theatr

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-09 - Portland, OR - Aladdin Theatr

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

From thehip.com

Setlist - The Aladdin Theater, Portland, OR Oct. 9, 2004
Soundcheck:
Puttin' Down
Silver Jet
You're Everywhere
As Makeshift As We Are
Ahead By A Century

Show:
As Makeshift As We Are
Grace, Too
My Music @ Work
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Summer's Killing Us
Puttin' Down
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Silver Jet
Goodnight Josephine
At The Hundredth Meridian
You're Everywhere
Poets
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
New Orleans Is Sinking
Fire In The Hole

1st Encore:
Wheat Kings
Vaccination Scar
Fireworks

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Blow At High Dough
Ryan2
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by Ryan2 »

How awesome to include the soundcheck - cheers to dave levison and the hip's new management!..I turned my bucket over.. i turned my lantern low
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Yet another testimonial to the notion that the Hip are the greatest rock n roll band in the world...

Arrived in Portland around 5:30 after a few minor setbacks(car died on us for a while), just in time to get a prime spot in line. Had the pleasure of meeting biga and wife (sorry, didnt catch names :oops: ), Aaron(anesthesiologist) and Kat(sp?), and Tony(TLB). Awesome meeting you guys, t'was a real treat. Hope you had as good a time as I did. Lemme know how the recording turned out.

The Hip were their usual selves, Gord went ape shit as per usual. I believe Robby's sporting a new earing? Or is that old news...Highlights for me were Makeshift as the starter and Fire in the hole. The crowd was generally awesome, not without a few idiots, but ofcourse. And my friend managed to snag both the Sam Roberts and the Hips setlists.

The only bummer to the entire trip was a $244 speeding ticket on the way back :shock: :shock: :x :cry: . The dude said he clocked me at 84mph....but $244!? That really stings, a tough one to swallow. Oh well, Im still on a high from the trip, they cant keep me down!
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

vicariousmartyr wrote:

The only bummer to the entire trip was a $244 speeding ticket on the way back :shock: :shock: :x :cry: . The dude said he clocked me at 84mph....but $244!? That really stings, a tough one to swallow. Oh well, Im still on a high from the trip, they cant keep me down!
Where'd they get ya? Is that $244 US?
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Yeah dude, thats US funds, just on some generic stretch of the
I-5.

Im contemplating not paying it...what do you think? Any serious rammifications? Because $244 is $244 I dont have...
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

vicariousmartyr wrote:Yeah dude, thats US funds, just on some generic stretch of the
I-5.

Im contemplating not paying it...what do you think? Any serious rammifications? Because $244 is $244 I dont have...
Well, I don't think you'd have any trouble with extradition or anything, they're not coming after ya... but, is it worth getting stopped again and held until you pay? It could prevent you from travelling stress-free to the US again... I guess it all depends on whether or not your're willing to risk getting double-dinged or even finding out that you have an outstanding traffic warrant on your next US trip.

I know out here in Ontario, you can set up staggered payments to the OPP... I'm not sure of the details, and who knows if Or or WA has a similar policy.

And if WA or OR and B.C. have some sort of agreement (similar to NY and Ont.) you may have trouble getting your license plate stickers renewed...

I'd say beg, borrow, steal... pay it, over time if you can, and save yourself the hassle.
Last edited by Stephen Dame on Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

well there is maybe the fact of a warrant for you arrest thats alot of money for a fine

but was it 84 in a 55 zone ?

got to court talk to the d. a. get a plea deal maybe they will reduce the the fine you never now

ron
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Damn Steve - sorry about the ticket.
Glad to here it was a great show though.
Hmm, gotta go start a new thread - this time with speeding tickets.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
lucasfowler
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by lucasfowler »

Anything from 0-15mph over can give you a ticket of roughly $120-130 USD...anything about 15mph I'm not sure, I'm guessing thats what you got. Were you in a 60 zone?

I would recommend paying the fine. Some friends of my parents who go to the USA to ski every year in March with their family had a run-in with the border a couple years ago. They hadn't paid a speeding ticket from the year prior, and as a result WEREN'T LET INTO THE US....despite having non refundable skiing and accomodation. Crappy deal, no question. It's just not worth taking the risk. I guess the mentality the border guard portrayed was that if you don't respect their laws then you are not welcome in the US.

The great thing about WA speeding tickets is that you can get as many as you want, and as long as you pay them, it will never deduct points from you BC DL or increase your Canadian insurance costs.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Hey all,
Still recovering from two Hip shows and Thanksgiving all in one weekend but I've got some words for the review and pics for all those who are looking for them. I'll probably get to sorting and posting them tonight, so hold tight!
All for now,
Aaron
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

I have some photos in my gallery at http://home.onegeeksopinion.com/gallery/album01

and a article at http://www.onegeeksopinion.com

cheers...
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Here is a sample of video for you.

http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/files/po ... _shift.avi

Enjoy.