2004-10-07 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-07 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

From thehip.com

Setlist - The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA Oct 7, 2004
As Makeshift As We Are
Grace, Too
Fully, Completely
Lake Fever
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Vaccination Scar
Inevitability Of Death
Are We Family
At The Hundreth Meridian
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Fireworks
Mean Streak
New Orleans Is Sinking
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Poets

1st Encore:
One Night In Copenhagen
Scared
Springtime In Vienna

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
My Music @ Work
katalack
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by katalack »

I don't know if I can do this, but here's what I posted back on the newsgroup. Never posted anything here, so go easy on this newbie:
Okay, this is just a short, rambling "I was there" review of the show. There is nothing like the Fillmore for that up close and personal concert experience. My daughter Colleen and I were right up in the front row next to the stage. Robbie smiled and waved to me at one point. Talk about a blissful moment. Sam Roberts was very good and pulled off a lot of energy for opening the show. Colleen to buy their cd and they were even nice enough to autograph it for her. The Fillmore is general admission and when the Hip were ready to come on, we had to be very territorial for our place up front. What a great crowd that night. There were a few jerks as always, but less than the last two shows there. Anyway, the setlist was perfect, although I would have love to hear Ahead by a Century as that's the song (with Poets) I put in Colleen's senior ad in the year book. I never expected Lake Fever or Inevitability Of Death and both were such a treat. What a night! Never again will Colleen doubt my word when it comes to how much Gordon sweats. It is the 8th wonder of the world. When they broke out Bobcaygeon, it was magic. We sang along, cried, and screamed in eargasmic ecstasy. I can't go through a song-by-song, but it seems like I always want at least four they didn't play, but went away satisfied. Know what I mean? At the end I was blessed with a copy of the setlist and Fillmore poster to add to the collection.
Thank you, Canada. Thank you for the Hip.

kat
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Great review!
And yes, I know what you mean!
conradjosepi
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

A night at the legendary Fillmore!

Post by conradjosepi »

Ahhhh, another fine night at the Fillmore!

We ended parking directly behind the tour buses on Geary. Same spot they parked in last time around. As soon as we got out of the truck, we saw Johnny Fay standing behind the tour buses, talking to what looked like a homeless person. He was shrugging his shoulders in that "I dont have any cash" kinda way. We left him alone.

We decided to go to the Boom Boom Room, a block north of the Fillmore, where we ran into a number of Hip fans. There was Bill, John and Bob from Sacramento that have been listining to the Hip for years. They were the most knowledgeble non-Canadian fans we've met. We also met a fellow from Detroit (forgot his name) who had just seen the show at the Fox Theater in Detroit as well. After a few drinks, we headed back to the truck to drop off our warmer clothing. On the way back to the Fillmore, we saw Rob Baker pacing back and forth talking on a cell phone, again behind the buses. We started to head over and introduce ourselves, but we were given the stink-eye, as he was obviously intent in his conversation, and we left him alone too.

We were able to secure seats up in the balcony (at the bar) overlooking the stage. We didn't plan on it, but it turned out to be a great spot. Sam Roberts opened up, right on time, with a great deal of energy. You could tell a lot of people in the crown were way into this band! I had never personally heard of Sam Roberts, but we were all greatly impressed with the set. All of the Canadians around us were familiar with his band....okay, I'm gonna buy the CD. After the openers, I promptly went downstairs and purchased the "All Canadian Surf Club" T-shirt. Cool shirt! My girl got the black, long-sleeve with the hood. She looked great too!

Right on time, at 9:15, the Hip came on stage and opened with Makeshift. We had all decided at the bar that they'd open with Grace, but they saved that for second. The sound was dialed-in perfect, on the floor. Up in the balcony, the vocals weren't quite as sharp, so I couldn't make out all of the rants. It helped to read his lips. I think Gord was soaking wet by the 4th song. It is quite amazing watching him soak up gallons of sweat from his face, guitar and mike between the songs. They replaced his mic 5 times during the show. He did the rant-piece on the microphone and stand and how they'd be nothing without him. About that time, his in-ear monitor reciever popped out of his pants, to be left dangling in the air. He danced around like it was a spider that was trying to get him, all the while contorting his body to prevent it from touching him. He eventually tore the whole setup off his head and finished the song with it. Pretty funny stuff.

By the time they got to Courage, the ENTIRE audience was bouncing in-time with the band. Quite amazing to see from up above. I was surprised by how many knew all of the words to the songs, as I could see them mouthing the words, especially on Bobcaygeon. The high-point for me was Fireworks. Paul sat down on the pedal steel and TORE IT UP! Very impressive.

They finished the show with Music @ Work. Aftwerwads the Fillmore handed out some great posters. They depict (in an abstract sort of way) a grey moose, with his head lowered and antlers full of snow. Great poster. I'll try to scan it somehow and post it here!

Great show, all in all, and I can't wait for the next one!

:thumb:
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
conradjosepi
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

There it is!

Post by conradjosepi »

Cool! Thanks bud. Obviously you have the technology!

Did you enjoy the show?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

No - sorry, I did not hit the show - I saw the poster on ebay and just grabbed the link.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Tthip wrote:Poster from the Fillmore:

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/9d/4f/4f_1_b.JPG
Beautiful, I was dying to see that... thanks.
VioletlightHeron
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by VioletlightHeron »

That is a beautiful piece of artwork, does anybody know who is producing them? Is Cameron involved?
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

i think the filmore puts those out. i could be wrong though
conradjosepi
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Fillmore Art

Post by conradjosepi »

The Fillmore (Starting with Bill Graham) commisions local artists to create the show posters. It goes way back to the early days of the Fillmore. Quite often, the posters would be adopted by the bands cover art, band logos, etc....

Here's a link to a site that has a lot of those posters:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Static.as ... egoryID=CA
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

was it paul on pedal steel or robbie on the pedal just wondering

ron
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

ron wrote:was it paul on pedal steel or robbie on the pedal just wondering

ron
Bobby plays the Lap steel, and it sounds fantastic live... they use it for Scar and Everywhere
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

that poster is awesome, though the fillmore always seems to put out some killer posters