2004-10-06 - Los Angeles, CA - Avalon

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-06 - Los Angeles, CA - Avalon

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Avalon Great Show

Post by Flamenco »

The Hip will post a setlist on their website. I just wanted to let everyone know the show was great!

I recorded the entire show via audio with my digital camera. When I return home I'll download the show to my PC. Hopefully the quality will be ok.

So now to the good stuff ... The boys opened with Vaccination Scar and followed with Grace Too. What can I say. The boys were tight as always. The sound was good and the crowd also. The Avalon is a great place to see a band. Many good viewing points.

Highlights of the show included Twist My Arm, Fully Completely and ABAC. The entire setlist was good. No disapointments.

LA women are georgeous!! Many Canadian Hip fans!

Cheers!
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Setlist - The Avalon, Los Angeles, CA Oct 6, 2004

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
Twist My Arm
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Summer's Killing Us
Fully, Completely
You're Everywhere
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Poets
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
At The Hundreth Meridian
As Makeshift As We Are
My Music @ Work
Mean Streak
New Orleans Is Sinking
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Little Bones*

1st Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Ahead By A Century
Fire In The Hole

2nd Encore:
Wheat Kings
Blow At High Dough
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

These setlist are spectacular, 2 encores fantastic!
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

anyone notice on thehip.com for Little Bones the * beside it? "So Tired of Waiting for You" tease....hmmmm
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

Flamenco, what was this "so tired of waiting you" tease?? please tell
ZaskarAZ
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by ZaskarAZ »

After seeing the hip this week in my home Arizona and then flying to see them in SD and LA, I must say that the shows just kept getting better. Last night might just be one of the best Hip shows to date (that I’ve been lucky enough to experience - 25+ and counting). The sound was VERY good - GREAT venue. I'd highly recommend seeing any band there. It was clear that the Hip were in a grove...the set list just flowed beautifully. Hats off to the band - another absolute rockin’ show.

They played You're Everywhere (which I’d been waiting for). I believe (HOPE :wink: ) this will eventually turn into a song we hear throughout the coming years, the song just has too much emotion to not be played live...

Unfortunately, I had to return to work... I'll need to catch them again this tour for I still have yet to hear NOIB live.

Awaiting the next west coast tour…
senschic
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senschic »

That setlist rocks! I'm glad the guys had such a good night!
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

Chancellor:

At this stag I cannot elaborate on the words as I don't recall .... Although, I recorded the audio portion of the show on my digital camera. I'll make the recording available to anyone who's interested when I downoad the clips to my PC.

Here's hoping that the audio portion turned out ok. My first attempt was at the Sudbury Bluesfest show. And, the audio there was at least recognizable. So, it should be ok.

I'll post a follow up here late tomorrow ...
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

chancellor wrote:Flamenco, what was this "so tired of waiting you" tease?? please tell
Could be the Kinks song "Tired of Waiting For You"....

I'm so tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

I'm so tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

I was a lonely soul
I had nobody till I met you
But you keep-a me waiting
All of the time
What can I do?

It's your life
And you can do what you want
Do what you like
But please don't keep-a me waiting
Please don't keep-a me waiting

'Cause I'm so tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

So tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

I was a lonely soul
I had nobody till I met you
But you keep-a me waiting
All of the time
What can I do?

It's your life
And you can do what you want
Do what you like
But please don't keep-a me waiting
Please don't keep-a me waiting

'Cause I'm so tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you

So tired
Tired of waiting
Tired of waiting for you
For you
For you
ZaskarAZ
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by ZaskarAZ »

It was the Kinks song. I think he was just being Gordie. Personally, I didn't and won’t read much more into it.
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

I'm pretty sure it's been done before too, at the Canada Day show maybe? I think I left the notes for that show at home when I came back to school.

Looking forward to the audio!

Cheers

Pat
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Any famous Canucks in attendance at this show?? It is L.A. after all.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Last LA show had Mathew Perry and two other celebs, that escape me right now.
Nice little "Extra" TV thing on The Hip last tour - with the stars attending.
I just find it weird - that TheHip.com listed a little rant/cover they did - I was hoping for a preview of something.
Why list now the Kinks (The Kinks? is "The" capitalized?) when they have never listed anything before, whether it be Ground Control to Major Tom, China Girl, etc....
Hmm - another weird thing - never noticed before that The Hip played TWO David Bowie covers. I guess life is just weird.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
mxsteve
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by mxsteve »

This show was better than San Diego, the sound was better, the lights were better and most importantly Gord was in a better mood. You could hear his rants and his ongoing battle with the mic stand was hilarious! He threw it down and turned his back on it at one point. He was saying the funniest things as the other hipbasers have stated. He bent it at one point and had to straighten it back. In San Diego the band didn't pause between songs, they just started up again whereas last night they paused a bit and Gord had time to talk a little bit. The setlist was awsome, I had no problems with it, over the course of both nights there wasn't any songs that i wish they wouldve done.(maybe 50 mission cap).
We went early and walked by the theater and saw Gord on his phone in the parking lot, we waited for him to finish and walk over to us but after he saw us he just went into the bus, oh well, wouldve liked a chance to say hello.
The crowd was great, with all of the oldies getting the most reaction, We were again against the barrier, right in the center and my wife got a setlist after the show, it had all of the songs that Gord played acoustically with his notes on it. Very cool to get this, wonder if it's his writing?
Dave Coulier was there in the middle of the crowd about 3 or 4 behind me, he was just chillin, drinking beer. Thats the canadian guy from Full house for those that didnt know.
Overall I am very happy to get to see the Hip 2 nights in a row and be 5 feet from the stage both nights, I know how lucky I am and can't wait to see them again. :mrgreen: