2004-10-04 - Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-04 - Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

setlist looks "meh". not one of the better sets, imho

from thehip.com

Setlist - The Marquee, Phoenix, AZ Oct 4, 2004
Vaccination Scar
Fully, Completely
Summer's Killing Us
Poets
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Vapour Trails
Courage
Fighter Fighter
Bobcaygeon
Looking For A Place To Happen
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
At The Hundreth Meridian
Are We Family
Springtime In Vienna
Mean Streak
New Orleans Is Sinking
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
My Music @ Work

Encore:
As Makeshift As We Are
Little Bones
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Nice to see Vapour Trails, Looking, Fully and Fighter again.
jeff topping
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by jeff topping »

rockin!
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Sad to see only one encore, but I'll agree that I'm glad Fighter, Fighter made it onto the set list. I wonder if any of the other cut tracks from the album will pop up on the tour?

-Jenna
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

there's a buzz going around there was a security issue, and that's why there was no second encore.. can anyone confirm this, and anyone have an idea what the issue was??? (let me guess, some good ol' boyz have a bit too much sauce???). should have put up the chicken wire in front of the band.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

The main set looks nearly identical to Cleveland's...sad to see only one encore, any Hipbasers at the show?
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

thehip11 wrote:Nice to see Vapour Trails, Looking, Fully and Fighter again.

My thoughts exactly! :thumb:
ZaskarAZ
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by ZaskarAZ »

I posted this in the General Forum as well:

Just a quick note on the show last night: As always The Hip were fantastic. They played 6 songs from IBE; Vaccination Scar, Gus, Nashville, Mean Streak, Makeshift and Family – All were excellent. I was standing directly in front of the sound boards and personally thought the sound had way too much base. I’ve seen a number of shows at this venue and have never heard the mix this far off?? Gordie’s mic was not very load and I could not make out much of his rants (and there were many). So…I can’t really speak to his topics on this night. Anyway, lots of good stuff, they played Fighter, Fighter and it appeared that many in the crowd seemed to lose interest? - Not sure what was up with that. I enjoyed it. Poets and Courage were two of the highlights. Gordie seemed particularly aroused by these. They did the ‘ol standards; !00th Meridian, NOIS, Little Bones, M@W. Again, all were excellent.

And then the bad news….Fans, why do some always have to F it up for everyone??? During the second song of the encore an overly drunk idiot jumped up on stage, clearly making both Gord’s very uncomfortable. He grabbed the mic stand from Gordie and proceeded to live out some twisted insecure rock star fantasy. The Hips own crew had to get the buffoon off stage. As soon as the guy was removed it appeared that a small fight broke out in front of the stage (center). Both these things seemed to rattle Gordie and he proceeded to finish the song saying his goodbyes and walked off stage WHILE the band was finishing the last few notes. That was it. I turned around and the guys at the sound board gave each other the “hey – whats up? I guess that’s it tonight?” look.

I personally think that the Marquee Theaters security sucked. Unfortunately, requiring the bands own crew to pull double duty.

I’ve seen The Hip ~20 times in the last 12 years and this is the only time I’ve seen them walk off stage like that. I find it repulsive that certain people just can’t handle their liquor and/or are so self-absorbed.

Sorry for the rant. It was a good show and I enjoyed it. I was particularly struck by Bobby during Gus – a pleasure to watch. He just jams during the whole thing – simply amazing.
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

I guessed something must have happened.

On one hand, if I were in the band, I'd do the same thing (end the show). You never know what stupid people will do.

On the other hand, I'd be slightly dissapointed if I went to a show that was stopped because security couldn't / wouldn't / didn't handle one jackass (note: this is not a whinge at Das Hips).

Hopefully, someone pummelled the idiot.
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

wonder if they were local boys or some drunken' canucks waiving the flag??? i'm from canada, and wouldn't mind seeing some of them get a nice shot in the head once or twice....
thechubb
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thechubb »

the hip were great. the setlist sucked bad. nothing from DFN. no grace too. Although, the show was cut short after the idiot on stage. also, it was too hot, gord was dripping badly. the fact that the roady had to get the idiot off stage is totally rediculous. That venue sucks. those idiot security dudes failed so many times last night. let the drunk girl fall, didnt help get her out and off the floor. it was fun of course. lots of great conversation before and some good tunes. still cant figure out whey they put good life where they do, for me that's a beer break. they just never really took off last night. Other recent sets include fire in the hole, so hard done by, greasy jungle, iod. and we didn't even get grace. bummed.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

I don't get it... The setlist looks awesome to me! Check out the Syracuse show and THEN say this sucked ass! :) Vapour Trails, Fighter, AND Looking? That's more rarities than most nights!
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

i don't get why anyone complains about the setlist anymore . You just saw your favorite band f'n enjoy it already.
It is not as if they said sorry but we are doing loverboy covers all night
Ron
thechubb
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thechubb »

yeah, i saw my favorite f'in band and had a great time. but, the set list for my taste was a bit of a dissappointment. Have you ever seen a show without Grace Too since DFN came out? And fighter, okay great, i was excited when i realized i was hearing the song for the first time. But, like the rest of the new record, its just not a great song. Bobby tore it up on the new tunes, too bad those solos dont exist on the record. And the venue sucks. Looking at the other sets, this show just isnt as good. i was hoping to hear iod, so hard done by.