2004-10-19 - Rochester, NY - Auditorium Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

After the response to playing Nashville, Gord says "maybe it can be Nashville every night".
Reading this gave me goosebumps.... The shortest simple song on the album and it got cheers like a "little bones" ....they had the momo going, they were in the zone...the songs just flowed together....I remember saying to my buddy after Nashville ended ...what did he say... ""maybe it can be Nashville every night" I think.... my mind flashed back to the July 1st LIVE SERIES recording where Gord says something like "after being in the rock n roll business for so many years ...you come to realize it can't be Nashville Every Night"

Folks this ranked higher than Kingston and the Mod Club for me.... also one that is clearly worthy of the LIVE SERIES

.... it was definately NASHVILLE LAST NIGHT !

Jeffro
Last edited by thecompletist on Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgo
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bgo »

I'm going to the concert tonight in Burlington, VT. Doors open at 7:30pm but what time did Sam Roberts go on stage at and for how long? When did the Hip go on stage and for how long.

Peace.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Tthip wrote:Downie walked up to Paul after a minute - then came back to the mic and said - "I had to go ask Paul for the first word"
Then Gord started the song.
:) Thanks man, that's great.
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

rochacha

Post by buffalorob »

Stellar show, especially the first 4 songs, could have left after those 4, being satisfied. Initially ABAC felt like it took the wind out of the sails after those first 4, but I guess they couldn't keep up that pace and intensity all night.... :P
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

picture
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

hers another that i took last night
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

bologna

Post by buffalorob »

Hey Ron, maybe you got a picture of me and my buddies, we were in the pit in front of Rob, and we all got hit in the back of the head with bologna :lol:
gibbytime39
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by gibbytime39 »

this was the biggest shake-up of the setlist yet. great show. rochester makes buffalo look like a striving metropolis. kodak better get with the times and get that city going again. started off partying at the richmond bar with some fellow hipbasers and hipfans. all of the good stuff has been pointed out. i cant wait to re-hear the rent about the river. out of the 4 shows i seen this tour the ranking goes:
chicago {easily}, rochester {solid second}, syracuse and then darien lake. this could be the last show unless i roll enough pennies for NYE.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

With thanks to Ron, I'm working on getting this show on the tracker. It should be up by end of day tomorrow if all goes as planned.
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

Chris - that's awesome news! 2 days is a very fast turnaround :)
Looking forward to it!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I'll try to get this show on the tracker tonight, but it won't be 'till late. I'm going to watch the Argos kick some Ticat ass!

The sound quality is great, and as everyone has mentioned, Gord seems very animated. The "rant" during Hundredth Meridian is classic - giving us "a look into the aquarium that is the rock band!"
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

From our seats up front you could see most of the poeple in the balcony were also sitting. Anyone up there in the balcony can say?

Fran
tth50mc
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tth50mc »

Hey everyone! first time poster here and glad to have found this site!

Just like to give my rundown of the show. This was my 11th show to see them and first time in the USA. The appeal of a small venue was the pull for me and my friend who has seen them way more than me, said there is a good chance we can meet the guys after the show outside the venue.

As stated before the lineup was heavy from PP and FC and IBE. I wonder they changed it up because Syracuse is nearby from the night before (for those catching back to back shows)?

Anyways loved it that it was a great venue, i ordered my tickets on Oct 8th and ended up in the 16th row which was way closer than i thought i'd be sitting. all the people around me were standing and totally grooving. The band i think gave a little more tonight because of the crowd's energy. I can't stand how many ppl sit down at Molson Amphitheater and ask for us to sit too so they can see.... i told those ppl if you wanna sit and listen to the hip... go listen to the cd... this is a show!! lol. So anyways happy to see everyone standing!

Gord dancing like a "rubberband" or something like that was cool. Meridan was great. Little rant in NOIS was something cool (more than i can remember for a long time). Liked Gord paddling the stage during Poets. I thought the crowd really sang along with ABAC , Bobc, Wheat Kings and Blow. Blow was amazing as they played it down but they wound it around again and cranked it up. My hilight was Gord singing at the end of blow something i've never heard him say "Out at the speedway, same TRAGICALLY HIP thingggggggg" that was awesome.

After the show we bought autographed cd for $15 (what a steal) and got a quick bite at wendy's. Headed back to the rear parking lot at the aud theater. Waited outside for a while and venue security told us 20 faithful that no musicians ever come out to sign autographs. They wanted us to leave and wouldnt let us in the parking lot to wait by the tour bus. Hip went inside their bus and watched the end of the yankee game. Sam Roberts came out to us and signed auto's and we took pics with him. 12:15am Gord Downie and Bobby Baker came out of the bus to greet us and we got autographs and pics. they were super cool and took time to talk to us. Gord signed my picture "Mike is Night of the Blues - Gord Downie" it was awesome.

after shaking hands and them heading back to the bus, we turned to the security guard and said we knew they'd sign. He didn't say anything! lol. great way to cap a good little roadtrip to see the boys from Kingston.

PS - I saw Jay McKee from tbe Buffalo Sabres was in attendance (Jay i believe is a Kingston native too)
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

they played syracuse in september and two days before this show they played in chicago

Ron
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

Funny about them saying no one ever signs anything there! That was the first place we ever got autographs from the band...on our Maine Hockey Jerseys!! Cool...way to go for you for sticking it out...rain and all!!