2004-10-23 - Ottawa, ON - Capital Music Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-10-23 - Ottawa, ON - Capital Music Hall

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thedoog
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thedoog »

10/23/04 - Capital Music Hall, Ottawa ON

Scar
Grace
M@W
Gus
ABAC
Summer
Courage
You're Everywhere
Bobcaygeon
Nautical
Nashville
IOD
100th
Josephine
Poets
NOIS

1st Encore
Makeshift
Goodlife
Fireworks

2nd Encore
Heaven
Blow

Great show as always.. front row centre..
I'll elaborate tomorrow and post a link to some pics we took.

Cheers.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

I don't really know what to say about the show... it was good. But, for all the people who were angry they didn't get in... you definately did not miss the best show ever. It was a good night, and a free hip show at a club in my hometown is AWESOME, and it WAS good... just not fantastic. The sound at Capitol is horrible, and not really any talking from Gord at all.. and the crowd seemed more interested in getting to the bar and back every second song than on watching the show.

IOD was great, Meridian was great, Blow was great! I thought Nashville was great too... And I never ever EVER want to hear Fireworks again. EVER. :)
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Well, what can I say, I owe the whole weekend to Shannon and her family. Shannon invited me to the show as her guest as her dad and Aunt were both lucky enough to win so I was the lucky one. Thanks a million Shannon!

The show wasn't the best one on the tour, but to be privledge enough to go was just awesome. Shannon and I went to the mall before the show where Shannon bought an MD recorder and mics to record the show. We fooled around with it before the show trying to figure out how it works. We thought we were set to record as we did a few little sound tests. I saw some familiar faces inside the venue who gave us some tips on how to get a good recording.......and what do you know we get home and all we had was 21 tracks of dead air. The stupid mics were plugged into the line-in instead of microphone in.....we got nothing!! We were pissed but none the less it was a great night.

The Bear aired a 5 minutue video clip before the show with celebrities congratulating them on 10 years. The whole Bear crew was on hand after the show to present the cash, the signed hip guitar and trip to Cuba. Shannon's Aunt was 1 number off of winning the guitar.

Highlights of the show were IOD, Meridian and Grace, Too is always awesome!! No surprises tonights but just a great experience to even be there. The Bear handed out free t-shirts after the show; a nice token of the night.

Show number 37 is over and 4 more to come. Once again, thanks for the invite Shannon. See you soon!

Jamie
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

:thumb: how could I not invite the most hardcore fan I know? :D

Jamie's review has made me think it was better than I thought... it was great! As usual. And Grace, Too is always awesome... how could I forget that?! Silly me!
Too bad about the recording.. hopefully a GOOD one will turn up. These guys beside us were waving a camera around all night. It'll be like a Blair Witch style dvd that NO ONE will EVER EVER want! EVER. trust me on this!
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Shannon that was very cool how your family got Jamie into the show and invited him to stay over. I had a blast hanging out with you guys in D.C. and Philly. I'm sure we'll meet up some where down the road. I am going to the London show and I think Jamie is too.

Good try with your recording experience. Chaulk up your mistake to a learning curve. Sounds like you might have picked up some tips to recording from other tapers and you will do much better next time. I think Shannon and Nathlie75 are going to the Montreal show. There is another chance to try. Stay cool you guys. 8) :thumb:
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

It's true we are going to the Montreal show! I'll be at the Ottawa show too, and if I can find someone to drag to Hamilton with me... I'll be there :)

You guys are going to have a great time in London... sounds like there's going to be a lot of fun people going!

I almost wish I'd bought tickets, Hugh, just to hang out with you and Carolyn again! :) And Jamie, of course, who also rules.
Debob
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Debob »

ShannonW wrote::thumb: how could I not invite the most hardcore fan I know? :D

Jamie's review has made me think it was better than I thought... it was great! As usual. And Grace, Too is always awesome... how could I forget that?! Silly me!
Too bad about the recording.. hopefully a GOOD one will turn up. These guys beside us were waving a camera around all night. It'll be like a Blair Witch style dvd that NO ONE will EVER EVER want! EVER. trust me on this!
it didn't turn out that bad.. hahah that was me.. i got way too drunk last night.. hahah.. their are some good shots as drunk and stumblee as i looked i still now what i am doing.. i have taped hundreds of shows.. although the two guys that kept wanting me to tape them got annoying.. my buddy chad took over a few times when i went for beer runs.. i just regret not bringing my tripod.. it will be good for the two cam mix... that beer just went down way too good last night.. hahahah
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

You guys were the source of a lot of amusement as we watched you film! You were enjoying the beers quite a bit :P
Debob
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Debob »

hahah i know we got a bit crazy.. i ussualy hate the guy that is really drunk at a show 8) last night was just a weird night for me.. the beer just went down like water.. but i did get some good shots.. no doubt about that.. i watched some of it last night and as drunk as i was it came out well.. definetley not my best work .. but if i can get that other cam that was on the tripod and throw some of my killer closups it will look good no doubt... sorry if we were annoying.. tried not to be.. heheh :mrgreen:
cfrancis
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by cfrancis »

hmm, I was the other drunkard trying to film with Rob. I'm pretty sure I got some good closeups when I focused but there will be a lot of waste as well.

Thanks very much to Matthew for the patch! I listened to it tonight before I went to check out Matt Good and it sounds fabulous!!

Cheers

Chad
LIVELOVEtheHIP
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by LIVELOVEtheHIP »

I saw that you mentioned the Hamilton show.... can you let me know anything you can about it? I live in Toronto and have heard that they will be playing Copps in Hamilton for New Years Eve.......

Cheers!
Knuckles of Frisco
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Knuckles of Frisco »

I didn't find the sound THAT bad in there..... It was definitely an "in your face" sound due to the size of the place, but I enjoyed the show thoroughly!!
IOD kicked ass, as well as Blow and Nautical..... I went to the show with a 1st timer, so maybe that made my night a little better. He had no clue what to expect, and thought it was one of the greatest things he had ever seen.... Can't blame him though... an average night for the hip is still better than most (but I'd still say it was above average!).

Also... I thought Makeshift sounded pretty great for an opening encore tune. HOPE someone got a good recording!!

I got a few cool still photo's if anyone wants....Just not sure if you can post pics here...
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

ShannonW wrote:
IOD was great, Meridian was great, Blow was great! I thought Nashville was great too... And I never ever EVER want to hear Fireworks again. EVER. :)

I feel the same way about New Orleans is Sinking. That song seriously needs to be retired. They could go the rest of their career without ever playing it again and it wouldn't bother me at all.

I still like Fireworks though.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

direwolf74 wrote:
ShannonW wrote:

I feel the same way about New Orleans is Sinking. That song seriously needs to be retired. They could go the rest of their career without ever playing it again and it wouldn't bother me at all.

I still like Fireworks though.
Why don't they just stop doing concerts? Then you guys and gals wouldn't have to hear Fireworks and Blow and NOIS. :roll:

The guys can play Courage twenty times for all I care! It's their decision! It's not like the songs they play are bad! NOIS is arguably their signature song. I love listening to it whenever I actually get the chance to see the Hip. I suggest people stop going to shows if all they do is complain and complain about the songs. I'm all for the right to criticize the band but there comes a point when I'm fed up hearing about it.

Message to Hip: not all your fans see you 40 times a year on tour so don't stop playing certain songs because of certain people who are tired of hearing them.