2004-10-26 - Myrtle Beach, SC - House Of Blues

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

LIVELOVEtheHIP wrote:Re: "yeah right...you keep telling yourself that. The same damn setlist everynight except for 1 or 2 songs. Ive seen last nights show 3 times this year...in my eyes that pretty weak"

If you are going to every show, you are obviously going to hear some of the same songs. Many bands play the exact same setlist at every venue...I know- I work at an arena and have heard artists do three consecutive shows that are IDENTICAL in every way possible, right down to the "off-the-cuff" jokes and comments that were always exactly the same. I think it speaks volumes that TTH change it up every night. I am sure they would send a heartfelt apology if they knew how their hard work and "bad" choices were affecting you personally...

They have thousands of people to play to, most of whom are not fortunate enough to attend numerous shows. As I have said before, I quite frankly wouldn't care if I heard the same song all night, I just love being there.

[/list]
[/quote]

thats great...thanks for making me understand :thumb:
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

I'm guessing that all the people who keep saying "the setlists are great, who cares" just haven't been to the Hip shows of the past, and therefore have no idea what they're talking about.

It was great when every night, a totally "unique" show emerged, You totally had no idea what song they are going to throw at you next, Gord never forgot any words, They jammed out NOIS and Meridian for 10-15 mins each, and Gord only picked up that acoustic of his on rare occasions. Unfortunately, after seeing over 25 Hip shows since 1994, I must say that the quality has steadily declined (and yes, I have seen 3 shows this tour).

So to all you people who say "F@#$ off, listen to your albums", that's exactly what I'm going to do, because $60 X 4 for the same show is not worth it anymore.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

laskosean wrote:I'm guessing that all the people who keep saying "the setlists are great, who cares" just haven't been to the Hip shows of the past, and therefore have no idea what they're talking about.

It was great when every night, a totally "unique" show emerged, You totally had no idea what song they are going to throw at you next, Gord never forgot any words, They jammed out NOIS and Meridian for 10-15 mins each, and Gord only picked up that acoustic of his on rare occasions. Unfortunately, after seeing over 25 Hip shows since 1994, I must say that the quality has steadily declined (and yes, I have seen 3 shows this tour).

So to all you people who say "F@#$ off, listen to your albums", that's exactly what I'm going to do, because $60 X 4 for the same show is not worth it anymore.
I think the band can play whatever setlist they choose. I'm just happy to be able to see them twice in December.

HOWEVER, I do agree that their live show seems to have declined a bit and I'm not thrilled with the jacked up ticket prices. :x I've already bought two tickets to shows on the tour but it still pisses me off that I'm paying over 30% more for tickets now than the last time I bought them a few years ago. I'm one of the biggest Hip fans around but I clearly think their live shows have gone downhill a bit. They are still good, but from the videos I've seen of this year's tour they're missing something. Maybe when I see them live in December I'll change my mind though.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

To those who say that they used to change it up more back on the Henhouse tour etc., here's something else to think about. Back then they were only playing songs from 5 albums. So let's say just to make it easy that they rehearse 40 songs for a given tour. Back then that would be about 8-9 songs per album. So obvioiusly more "rare" non-single tracks would appear in sets back then, because they had a smaller catalogue to choose from. Now they have 9 albums, so that would be about 3-4 songs per album, plus they obviously play more than 3-4 songs from the new album.

So the point being they can only rehearse so many songs for the tour, and being that they can only choose roughly a few songs from each album, they are going to choose the more popular songs. I don't know, maybe I'm just making excuses for them but it kinda makes sense.

And they still do throw in surprises now and again.

Nick
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

nhaste wrote:To those who say that they used to change it up more back on the Henhouse tour etc., here's something else to think about. Back then they were only playing songs from 5 albums. So let's say just to make it easy that they rehearse 40 songs for a given tour. Back then that would be about 8-9 songs per album. So obvioiusly more "rare" non-single tracks would appear in sets back then, because they had a smaller catalogue to choose from. Now they have 9 albums, so that would be about 3-4 songs per album, plus they obviously play more than 3-4 songs from the new album.

So the point being they can only rehearse so many songs for the tour, and being that they can only choose roughly a few songs from each album, they are going to choose the more popular songs. I don't know, maybe I'm just making excuses for them but it kinda makes sense.

Nick

BULLSHIT!!! Here are two setlists of shows I attended at the ACC in Toronto on BACK TO BACK NIGHTS! THEY ARE SOOOO DIFFERENT. Why can't the Hip change it up like this anymore? Enough excuses:

1999-02-22
venue[air canada centre]
location[canada.ontario.toronto]
first set
something on
fifty mission cap
giftshop
membership
courage
poets
cordelia
vapour trail
ahead by a century
lionized
bobcaygeon
nautical disaster
springtime in vienna
fireworks
blow at high dough
escape is at hand for the travellin man
at the hundredth meridian
first encore
save the planet
scared
fire in the hole
second encore
grace, too
the rules
new orleans is sinking

1999-02-23
venue[air canada centre]
first set
fireworks
twist my arm
grace, too
thompson girl
courage
giftshop
fully completely
poets
the luxury
700 ft. ceiling
ahead by a century
so hard done by
nautical disaster
something on
locked in the trunk of a car
chargin falls
little bones
first encore
let's stay engaged
bobcaygeon
new orleans is sinking
second encore
emperor penguin
flamenco
fifty mission cap
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

I think a lot of people need to relax. They're playing to tiny crowds with marginal fans right now...would you bust out a gem, that for all intensive purposes is hard to play, hard to get into a groove as you haven't played it that often for a crowd that doesn't know your songs that well? Or would you stick to the hits?

During the summer, the fans got all the hits...now we're seeing a few gems...naturally, I think we're going to get all kinds of gems for the Canadian tour...
Have faith folks...
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

The Heron Outside wrote:They're playing to tiny crowds with marginal fans right now...
I think you have it backwards. Smaller crowds = devoted fans.
I think we're going to get all kinds of gems for the Canadian tour...
As I posted in a different thread, that would suck. For me.
prz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by prz »

laskosean wrote:
nhaste wrote:To those who say that they used to change it up more back on the Henhouse tour etc., here's something else to think about. Back then they were only playing songs from 5 albums. So let's say just to make it easy that they rehearse 40 songs for a given tour. Back then that would be about 8-9 songs per album. So obvioiusly more "rare" non-single tracks would appear in sets back then, because they had a smaller catalogue to choose from. Now they have 9 albums, so that would be about 3-4 songs per album, plus they obviously play more than 3-4 songs from the new album.

Nick

BULLSHIT!!! Here are two setlists of shows I attended at the ACC in Toronto on BACK TO BACK NIGHTS! THEY ARE SOOOO DIFFERENT. Why can't the Hip change it up like this anymore? Enough excuses:

1999-02-22
venue[air canada centre]
first set
something on
fifty mission cap
giftshop
membership
courage
poets
cordelia
vapour trail
ahead by a century
lionized
bobcaygeon
nautical disaster
springtime in vienna
fireworks
blow at high dough
escape is at hand for the travellin man
at the hundredth meridian
first encore
save the planet
scared
fire in the hole
second encore
grace, too
the rules
new orleans is sinking

1999-02-23
venue[air canada centre]
first set
fireworks
twist my arm
grace, too
thompson girl
courage
giftshop
fully completely
poets
the luxury
700 ft. ceiling
ahead by a century
so hard done by
nautical disaster
something on
locked in the trunk of a car
chargin falls
little bones
first encore
let's stay engaged
bobcaygeon
new orleans is sinking
second encore
emperor penguin
flamenco
fifty mission cap

Good point, I remember going to the second show at the ACC in 1999 and I knew going in they would be changing their sets.

People have a right to complain about setlists. You can love the Hip alot and still criticize them. Just look over this years tour, the Hip have generally played a pretty similar setlist every night. Go back about 5 years and that didnt happen. Thats the point and that is why some people are not happy.
Knuckles of Frisco
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Knuckles of Frisco »

I enjoy every show I've ever seen the hip play, BUT, I'll have to admit the last few shows, I walk away with only a few "standout" tunes that made my night. Not that the usual songs aren't great.... they are just totally expected, and don't vary much from night to night.
I can't see the large catalogue as an excuse.... C'mon they're professional musicians who can obviously master more than 30 songs per tour. The last PJ tour, they played back to back to back shows in Boston, and played EVERY single song from all albums in those 3 nights! How crazy is that?! Pretty ambitious I think. A true fans dream.

If PJ can do this, I'm sure the hip could brush up on say 60 songs for a tour. Not trashing them one bit, I just think that some of ya's have a good point on the lack of variety in setlists.
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Knuckles of Frisco wrote:If PJ can do this, I'm sure the hip could brush up on say 60 songs for a tour. Not trashing them one bit, I just think that some of ya's have a good point on the lack of variety in setlists.
They are pretty close by my count. 53 different songs performed at least once between 9/18/04 in Detroit, and 10/26/04 in Myrtle Beach.

For anyone who's interested:

6 songs played at every show:
At The Hundredth Meridian
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
New Orleans Is Sinking
Summer's Killing Us
Vaccination Scar

8 songs played only once:
700 Ft. Ceiling
Daredevil
Freak Turbulence
Lionized
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
Putting Down
So Hard Done By
Three Pistols

I've been compiling more detailed stats, but I'm not sure how to best present them, or which ones people might find most interesting.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

First off... isn't this a review thread of the Myrtle Beach show?

Secondly, If all we have to complain about is, what some call, routine setlists; I think we have it pretty good.

These guys go out there, night after night, playing their asses off for us. Be happy that the band we love is still out playing shows.

Thirdly, my memories of a show very rarely involve the setlist. It's all of the fun times leading up to, during, and after the show with friends (new and old) that really make it special for me.

Let's talk about all the good stuff for once.
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

chris wrote:First off... isn't this a review thread of the Myrtle Beach show?

Secondly, If all we have to complain about is, what some call, routine setlists; I think we have it pretty good.

These guys go out there, night after night, playing their asses off for us. Be happy that the band we love is still out playing shows.

Thirdly, my memories of a show very rarely involve the setlist. It's all of the fun times leading up to, during, and after the show with friends (new and old) that really make it special for me.

Regardless, the shows are not even close to those of the past. I'm not saying that the music isn't great anymore, I'm suggesting that the Hip have slipped into a boring, predictable routine. I'm paying $60 a show in Toronto: the Hip don't have video-monitors, special effects, or any other extras to add to the show. The one thing they did have that made their shows so great (and worth the $60) was their unpredictable nature. Unfortunately, that time is gone, and so is my $60.
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

laskosean wrote:
chris wrote:First off... isn't this a review thread of the Myrtle Beach show?

Regardless, the shows are not even close to those of the past. I'm not saying that the music isn't great anymore, I'm suggesting that the Hip have slipped into a boring, predictable routine. I'm paying $60 a show in Toronto: the Hip don't have video-monitors, special effects, or any other extras to add to the show. The one thing they did have that made their shows so great (and worth the $60) was their unpredictable nature. Unfortunately, that time is gone, and so is my $60.
My two cents...

$60 to see a show in Toronto is a bargain. Check and see what it costs to see many concerts (or other shows and sporting events) in TO. For myself, its not about the special effects, it's about THE BAND! This is why many of us spend hundreds of dollars to travel and see the Hip in smaller venues (and feel fortunate to have the opportunity to do so). The Hip have certainly matured over the years and so has their music and concerts. IMO they are better than ever and so is their music. My favourite Hip concert is generally the last one that I've seen, because the experience is still fresh.
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Mantis632
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Mantis632 »

This was my first show, and I was completely blown away. Right in front of the band, then got to meet them after the show. All around a great experience.

As for the setlist stuff, the only thing that I can tell the person who posted the 2 night stand from the ACC is that it was a 2 night stand at ACC. If you play more than one night in the same city, I should hope things would be a bit more mixed up.
laskosean
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by laskosean »

Musicians who play similar shows night-in night-out:
N-Sync
Backstreet Boys
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears

Musicians who change up their sets every night:
Phish
Pearl Jam