2004-10-29 - Toledo, OH - The Bijou

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

daysleeperchuk
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by daysleeperchuk »

howzabouta show review? anyone out there? :jump
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

I went - wow it was the best show ever!!!!!!
The boys were ON!!!!
They pulled out Highway Girl and Another midnight.
WAIT - oops must have been a dream - the show is tonight.
:D :thumb:

**Edit**
Please note - the above mentioned statement may contain some form of intended sarcasm.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

Dana, I like the disclaimer, I may have to add it to my signature. :lol:

-Jenna
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

toledo realistic wishlist...

1.penquin
2.bones
3.escape
4.something on
5.pistols
6.nautical
7.flamenco
8.50 mc
9.are we family
10.pigeon camera
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Jenna, I think since some of us would love to have a little sarcasm smiley face thingy - and you always champion the cause.
Maybe we should use this:
"It was sarcasm"
Dana
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

I will take that as the ultimate compliment, snarky little bitch that I am. :lol:

-Jenna
daysleeperchuk
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by daysleeperchuk »

D'OH!!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Daysleeperchuk.
That D'OH!!! matches your picture perfect.
Pretty cool.
Dana
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Everywhere
Fully
Poets
Gus
ABAC
Gift Shop
SKU
Courage
Nashville
Bobcaygeon
Heaven
100th Meridian
Greasy Jungle
Josephine
M@W
NOIS

VS
Good Life
Fireworks

Makeshift
Springtime

Club Bijou is a small club. There was a large rectangular dance floor in front of the stage with a bar along the back. Rising above the bar were several tired levels lined with tables. There was 1000 people there. Probably a little less, but the place was close to capacity. President Bush had a rally in Toledo just hours before the start of the show in the same area where we were at. There were lots of people walking the streets carrying signs for Bush or Kerry. When Gord D. came on stage to start the show he said, "It seems Bush is everywhere", then The Hip kicked into You're Everywhere.

If you Google "Club Bijou", you get a story saying the place is haunted with the ghosts of dead mobsters who were murdered there during Prohibition. Well the ghosts were at work bedeviling The Hip and their equipment. They had some technical trouble. Robbie had no output from his guitar during the 3rd song, Poets. He kept strumming and trying to play his leads, but nothing came out. The crew frantically had to rewire Robbie's pedal board as the band played on. Paul immediately realized what was happening and took over for Robbie's missing riffs. He played his part extra hard with a few small changes. It was good improvization. The poltergists were particularly after Gord D. He was playing his acoustic when he broke a string. He played it for a minute until Billy Ray came over to take it from him and restring it offstage. He had it ready for the next song. Gord started playing it and immediately broke a different string. He gave it back to Billy in disgust. Billy tried to give him another, but Gord wouldn't take it. Later Gord's earplugs went out. He threw them and the battery pack to the floor. He was fed up with the technical glitches.

This was mostly a hard and fast rock show. Gord was ranting a bit, but not too animated. He was dancing crazily during 100th Meridian. We got to hear Greasy Jungle. It was very good. To start Fireworks Gord said, "You either believe in it or you don't". Very appropriate.

After the show there was a seperate club downstairs. Gord S., Paul and Robbie mingled with everyone there. A lot of people with backstage passes were there along with those of us who just heard they were downstairs. We enjoyed having a couple of beers with the guys. We hooked up with John Cage (Chris), Smadabeer (Jay) and Asoko (Anthony) from the Hipbase. We ran into a married couple, Greg and Grace, both teachers from Peterborough who drove 8 hours with their friends to be there. They obviously were big fans and were totally stoked at being right in front to see the band in a small venue. We're leaving now for Grand Rapids and the last US show.

:jump :jump :jump
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Always a pleasure reading your reviews Hugh! It sounds like the boys had a heck of a time playing with all the technical dificulties. I wonder if anything will happen tonight in Grand Rapids - being Devil's Night and all!

Nonetheless, thanks Hugh for the update and enjoy tonight!
eriehip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by eriehip »

President Bush had a rally in Toledo just hours before the start of the show in the same area where we were at. There were lots of people walking the streets carrying signs for Bush or Kerry. When Gord D. came on stage to start the show he said, "It seems Bush is everywhere", then The Hip kicked into You're Everywhere.
That's funny cuz on the radio this morning (saturday) I heard a clip of Bush speech from Gr Rapids. I guess they're following each other.
joehipfan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Toledo Rocks

Post by joehipfan »

Toledo was awesome last night. Gord didn't rant a whole lot, but the energy and the atmosphere were great. The setlist was much different from the other shows I've seen this tour, but they nailed every song.
joehipfan
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by joehipfan »

Oh yeah, I guess I was just about the only one from Buffalo. No one else cheered for Buffalo during "At the 100th Meridian".
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

A couple years ago for a Halloween show - didn't Gord come out with a mustache and cigar - he was Castro.
I think it was a Texas show.
Dana
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Always a pleasure reading your reviews Hugh! It sounds like the boys had a heck of a time playing with all the technical dificulties. I wonder if anything will happen tonight in Grand Rapids - being Devil's Night and all!

Nonetheless, thanks Hugh for the update and enjoy tonight!
I agree...Hugh writes awesome reviews! :thumb: