2004-10-21 - Clifton Park, NY - Northern Lights

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

I just added two more songs to the list. I forgot Summer and Heaven!

anywhoo...my concert pics, no matter how horrible, are up on Hip Archive and so are my "encounter" pics.

I remembered something else from that night. When Gord introduced Josephine. He said something like "It's not just about anyone named Josephine, she was an activist" or actress..or something like that. anyone else get a clear hear on what he said?
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Does anyone have the full setlist in order for this show? It still hasn't been posted on thehip.com.

Thanks
Nick
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

nhaste wrote:Does anyone have the full setlist in order for this show? It still hasn't been posted on thehip.com.

Thanks
Nick
Well I've seen the set list but it's not in order because Gord screwed up. I wish they'd just hurry up and post it on thehip.com
K-Town Lassie
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by K-Town Lassie »

Here's the setlist from the CP show.

thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

K-Town Lassie wrote:Here's the setlist from the CP show.

So I guess they DIDN'T do Grace:-( I guess I've just watched the Concert for Toronto a LITTLE TOO MUCH :lol:

And for the record, for those of you I told Ktown didn't make it to the show. There's a very long story, weird, you-can't-make-that-kind-of-shit-up kind of story, but she did go to the show and we're still friends :D

and we still haven't met :scratch:
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

That's it. The wife's brother grabbed one from Billy who was tossing them off the stage at the end of the show.

However, after Nautical, Gord started taking about Gus the Polar Bear, and that's when Paul came over, smiled, and nodded down to the setlist.

So, after Nautical, they played Gus, then Springtime, then Makeshift to Meridian and on to the rest. I think I remember that correctly.

Kind of a bummer that we missed out on Looking... we did see Billy make that change before the show.

Jerremy
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

jerremy wrote:That's it. The wife's brother grabbed one from Billy who was tossing them off the stage at the end of the show.

However, after Nautical, Gord started taking about Gus the Polar Bear, and that's when Paul came over, smiled, and nodded down to the setlist.

So, after Nautical, they played Gus, then Springtime, then Makeshift to Meridian and on to the rest. I think I remember that correctly.

Kind of a bummer that we missed out on Looking... we did see Billy make that change before the show.

Jerremy
I'm glad they changed it to Nautical! It's one of my fave songs! I had posted on here about wanting them to play it in CP and when they played it I just yelled "Thank you Gord Sinclair"about three times. I even jokingly thanked him backstage for it! :D
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

From www.thehip.com:

Setlist - Northern Lights, Albany, NY Oct 21, 2004

You're Everywhere
Fully, Completely
My Music @ Work
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Lake Fever
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Springtime In Vienna
As Makeshift As We Are
At The Hundredth Meridian
Goodnight Josephine
Poets
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
Vaccination Scar
Ahead By A Century
Fireworks

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Blow At High Dough
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

Great show... loved it... Just thought the crowd was a little too rambunctious... maybe I'm just getting too old, but there was too many "Oh, my friend's just right up here" moments.... I don't mind, I can see over most people, but my 5'4" little sister was having problems.... I mean seriously, other girls kicking her legs during the show?!

Funny moment though... the show was in a strip mall, there was also an RV dealership outside the mall... so there's a bunch of RVs parked there... so, my little sis is in the washroom, and hears a bunch of girls talking about how there are SOOO many Canadians there... and the one girls says "I know... did you see all the RVs out there!"...

Loved Gord's apologizing... "Sorry about that, my ears were filled with water.... but they say an entertainer should never apologize - so f**k you!"....

Loved Lake Fever....
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

boot wrote: "Oh, my friend's just right up here" moments.... I don't mind, I can see over most people, but my 5'4" little sister was having problems.... I mean seriously, other girls kicking her legs during the show?!
Yep, welcome to NY! lol

I'm 5'5" and I was by the wall on the right side barricade. I had this really tall dude in front of me and there were many tall people up front. It was kinda discouraging but I still craned my neck.

I kept getting elbowed by this really tall chick right next to me!!!

There was also the time some girls came by and said "excuse me" one of the girls had two beers so I figured she was bringing it back to where she was standing and she STOPPED RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Thank god she was short!
das_hips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by das_hips »

Whats with those numbers beside the songs on the setlists? Are they tempos? Obviously ABAC and Lake Fever have pre-recorded drum loops in the background, thus 'loop' is written, but do any of the boys have metronomes in there ears?
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

I've never seen a setlist with those numbers either?? what does it all mean scooby?

I'm glad your first hip show was awesome Wendy...Burlingotn was simply unforgettable. And, there are people your own age making absolute fools of themselves at hip shows too. <<me>> I had a backstage pass and was so histarically into the evening <<drunk>> that the door man looked at me and simply said "no", then pointed off in the distance...I couldn't care less.
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

joshwayy wrote:And, there are people your own age making absolute fools of themselves at hip shows too.
Oh I was totally Gording out with my body and legs. Arms and head not so much but DAYUM I was like totally going NUTS! lol

I had an AMAZING time. I still on cloud nine!
bigblackie
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bigblackie »

thipfan73, like everyone else on the board, I'm glad that you had a great time at the show and I'm sure that you can understand even more why so many of us have gone to great lengths to see them 30 time or more. I do have to comment on one of your remarks ...

"Gord D needs to cut his hair again, he's lookin a bit shaggy. He was of course really baked"

It may come as a surprise to you, as it did to me, that Gord is usually not "baked". The first time I saw them, I was convinced that he was tripping on some really great acid, but when we spoke after the show, he was very much together and in fact, low key and not at all "baked". Since that time I have spent quite a bit of time with the guys backstage, on the bus, and in hotel rooms, and while they are not Boy Scouts and enjoy a little party, I can say that I've never seen any of them "baked" (despite my best efforts or my ability to keep up with them).

My point is this. What you see when you watch Gord contorting on stage is a true conscious performance, not a drunken or drugged artist letting the altered state do the work ala Jim Morrison. He may have a little "glow" on, but what you see on stage is all Gordie. Maybe his twisted alter ego, but still, all Gordie.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Welcome to the club.
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

bigblackie wrote: My point is this. What you see when you watch Gord contorting on stage is a true conscious performance, not a drunken or drugged artist letting the altered state do the work ala Jim Morrison. He may have a little "glow" on, but what you see on stage is all Gordie. Maybe his twisted alter ego, but still, all Gordie.
I've heard many stories about Gord being baked after the show. We could smell the pot smoke from backstage before the show in the venue and after the show when waiting outside. They all reeked of Pot.

I know he's not always baked, but I knew he was! :lol:

I know what he does on stage is just him. I know the drug of choice is pot.