2004-10-21 - Clifton Park, NY - Northern Lights

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

grooveless touque
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by grooveless touque »

It's going too far to say Gord's never baked when he seems like it. He was so stoned when I met him, he just smiled at his shoes and mumbled, seemingly embarassed...
bigblackie
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bigblackie »

I didn't mean to question whether or not Gord is EVER baked, I'm sure he gets "baked" (whatever that is defined as) on a semi-regular basis. I was just questioning the comment

"He was, OF COURSE, really baked."

That comment implies that Gord is ALWAYS stoned and my point is that, in fact, he and all the guys in the band usually have it very much together. I guess I hear "really baked" and picture the drugged out, strung out, falling down stereotypic "rock star". There could be nothing further from the truth.
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

bigblackie wrote:I didn't mean to question whether or not Gord is EVER baked, I'm sure he gets "baked" (whatever that is defined as) on a semi-regular basis. I was just questioning the comment

"He was, OF COURSE, really baked."

That comment implies that Gord is ALWAYS stoned and my point is that, in fact, he and all the guys in the band usually have it very much together. I guess I hear "really baked" and picture the drugged out, strung out, falling down stereotypic "rock star". There could be nothing further from the truth.
in my book

baked = stoned

and it's a known fact Gord does smoke a LOT of pot
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

I'm no expert on recreational drugs (anymore) But dont long time users have a higher threshold than say 3 times a year users? Alot easier for l/t users to "keep it together" as it were. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say but I just thought I'd say it.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

and it's a known fact Gord does smoke a LOT of pot

ok how do you know this unless you have shared bud with the man don't insinuate that he does something if you do not have first hand knowledge
of said event.

sorry my two cents

Ron
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

ron wrote:and it's a known fact Gord does smoke a LOT of pot

ok how do you know this unless you have shared bud with the man don't insinuate that he does something if you do not have first hand knowledge
of said event.

sorry my two cents

Ron
You know what? f**k it. I'm outa here. I'll lurk but I'm done posting here.

I MET HIM AND HE SEEMED HIGH! IF I WAS WRONG I WAS FUCKING WRONG!

And people say there aren't assholes on this board? You are just all waaaay to overfuckingprotective of the fucking hip and you don't even fucking know them yourself!!!!!!
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

what the hell just stating my 2 cents don't need to get your panties in a bunch . don't believe i came down on you at all just making a statement
am i entitled to or what ?

just a question

Ron
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

ron wrote:what the hell just stating my 2 cents don't need to get your panties in a bunch . don't believe i came down on you at all just making a statement
am i entitled to or what ?

just a question

Ron
I'm just fucking sick of this argument. I don't know how many times I've heard that Gord is a very "Happy artist" and that he smokes pot.

Maybe it's just a severe case of PMS but JESUSFUCKINGCHRIST
Last edited by thipfan73 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Well Wendy... since you asked me to read this thread, I feel it only proper for me to comment.

I agree that your post was rather presumptuous.

As pointed out by Ron and bigblackie, you are implying some form of intimate knowledge of Gord's personal life, and his ventures into the world of illicit drug use.

I also do not see any reason for you to stop posting. People took issue with what you said, and you didn't like it. That's no reason to stop participating; just stop posting in this thread and move on.

And as a wise man once said, "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive."
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

chris wrote:Well Wendy... since you asked me to read this thread, I feel it only proper for me to comment.

I agree that your post was rather presumptuous.

As pointed out by Ron and bigblackie, you are implying some form of intimate knowledge of Gord's personal life, and his ventures into the world of illicit drug use.

I also do not see any reason for you to stop posting. People took issue with what you said, and you didn't like it. That's no reason to stop participating; just stop posting in this thread and move on.

And as a wise man once said, "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive."
Were you or anyone else on this thread there behind the venue that night with me ?! NO!

I dated a guy who smoked pot. I have a best friend who's been smoking pot for over ten years!!! I know what it's like when someone is high and Gord seemed high! He wasn't all giggly or stupid or anything, he had it together but he was very low key and he had this way about him that said "This is not Gord tired or sick, he's got to be high". He was nothing like I had seen in interviews or when he was on stage. I had heard plenty of stories about him being high or even incoherent after shows. Even if he didn't smoke it himself, I'm sure he got a contact buzz from backstage! I know I did and I WAS IN THE AUDIENCE!!!!!!

When Gord came outside, my boyfriend said to me "Boy is he high" when we started to talk to Gord. I didn't care but I thought it was something worth mentioning since you I wanted to let you all know about my first experience at a show, especially meeting them! I wanted to make sure the ENTIRE experience came through even if I left a few details out like the ENTIRE conversation between me and Gord and Gord and the other fans.

I know what I saw, I know what I smelled. They ALL reeked of Pot. I am NOT stupid I know what a person looks like when they are high! I know a person can smoke a lot of pot and still keep it together!! Why is it such a point of contention? I am reporting what I thought I saw and if I'm wrong, SO WHAT?!

It's what I thought went on that night.

and as to taking life to seriously.....

How many SERIOUS posts have you seen from me on the hipbase? I'm almost always joking. Life is too short to be taken seriously, however, as I've said before, I will defend myself.

It is rather presumptuous to tell me what I did and didn't see that night and what I know and do not know about Gord!
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

all i was saying is not say it here in this forum , incase someone such as family of the band were to read it . It is a private matter is all i am saying

Can't we all just get along!

Ron
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

bigblackie
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bigblackie »

I guess since I may have started this arguement by questioning Wendy's comment, maybe I can help end it by re-stating my concern.

I have known the guys in the Hip for 14 years now. I've hung out with them on the bus, backstage and in hotel rooms at every show I've attended and that number is around 40. I think I have some basis in fact for what I've said and what my initial comment was.

Do the guys in the Hip party? Absolutely. Was Gordie stoned the night in Albany? He may well have been, and it sounds like from your observations, that he was. I never questioned your judgement in that regard.

The comment that I had on the original post was regarding the use of the words "of course" in the sentence, "He was of course really baked." I read this to mean that you or anyone else who runs into Gordie should expect him to be "really baked". My intent was not to "protect" Gordie or the band, but since not everyone has had the opportunity to meet the man, I didn't feel that it was fair to convey a message that he is stoned all the time. He is a father and is an intelligent, responsible person who may celebrate a good show by partying with some friends afterwards. You met him on a night that he apparently chose to party. Let's just leave it at that. You reported what you saw and I enjoyed reading about your experience. I would suggest that you might have been more careful with the assumptions you made.