2004-12-05 - Halifax, NS - Metro Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

soquester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by soquester »

Just a question, did anyone get any pics of the show? I meant to, but the batteries died in my camera earlier in the day, and then I forgot to grab it when I walked out the door to go... I'd love to see some pics from the show though, so if anyone has some, pm me and we'll get in touch!
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Rory, this is the same message I pretty much PM'ed you but I thought everyone might like to read this...

Hey Man...just finally getting in from Halifax. Our plane was delayed an hour and just getting home at 8:15pm.

I was able to get Robbie, Johnny Fay, Gord Sincalir and Gord D to sign the front of the Daily News paper at the airport today in Halifax and Jen took a photo with Johnny, Sinclair and I. Robbie showed up a few minutes later and I caught him at the book store and went over to say hi and Jen took our picture. I mentioned I was friends with Hugh and he said they were great people and it was nice to see them again.

Gord D sat at the front of the plane with Ricky Wellington and the rest of the band sat about 6 rows behind us on the plane. After getting off the plane, we walked past the baggage claim and I walked by Sinclair and he peeked over his shoulder, remembered who I was and said, see ya later Jamie, take care. I said see ya later and have a good christmas.... VERY COOL!!!

I'll put the pictures on my computer after I get a bite to eat....

ttyl and thanks again for hosting us this weekend!!!!

Jamie
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Jamie. DAMN! That's wicked man!
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

I know eh Darren....best ever!!!

I can't wait for the DVD. That picture of Gord in the air will make it just awesome!!
andyselig
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by andyselig »

Great show, had an absolute blast sitting in the front row, definitely lived up to the hype.

it was nice meeting the people i did, always great putting a name to a face. I left my camera at the house so the only pics i managed were a few shitty ones taken with my camera phone, here is one of the better ones
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Check out my website for some photos.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

This was a great show for a number of reasons. One is because I was able to meet wpghipfan, Highlander, thehip11, tigerthelion, Tarokun and andyselig. Another was the stellar performance of The Hip and the Halifax audience who were mostly dancing and singing to the music. Every one of the guys in the band seemed to put a little extra into their performance. None of them were showing signs of being tired after playing three nights in a row. Carolyn and I flew from Detroit to Halifax to visit her brother and his family who live in Wolfville, NS. We also flew there because Robbie Baker comped us four tickets in the third row center and gave us backstage passes too. We went to the show with Carolyn's brother Steve and Terry. They were newbies seeing their first Hip show. They are experienced concert goers and were impressed by the band's energy. Terry is a painter and art teacher. She has sold many paintings in Halifax art galleries. She had a small sketch pad and drew a quick portrait of each band member during the first three songs. When we met the guys later she had each one sign their own picture. I'll try to get her to scan them and I'll post them here if I get them.

I was impressed by The Hip's energy myself. Gord D. put a little something extra in his performance. He was dancing alot, spinning around and really ranting and acting out. He was very entertaining. Johnny was banging 'em hard and had a new electronic gadget just to the left of him. I'm not sure if it was an electronic drum kit or something else. I didn't see him use it, but he was good and loud. Robbie and Gord S. had fun jamming and goofing with each other. Paul kept stepping back to watch them and laughing at their antics. Robbie's solos were great. He really got into it. He was running about playing everywhere and he would come up to the edge of the stage and throw his long hair around. Gord D. really rode the bronco mikestand during Courage. He was fantastic in 100th Meridian. He was dancing crazily and ranting. He said something about "leading with your heart", then he began to leap about, jumping chest first. He was literally leading with his heart. In Poets he did the peacock back and forth. Then he would stand up and shoot Paul with his imaginary gun. He even boxed the mike a little.

We were treated to three encores after the main set. Each one was better than the last. To start Boots and Hearts, Gord was singing and only Robbie was playing the acoustic. Gord S. was clapping a beat and the crowd followed. Near the end of the song Gord was dancing around while playing his guitar and making exaggerated rock star moves. When it ended he slid up to his mike with his tongue in his cheeck, knowing the parody he was playing. Blow and Grace, Too were the best songs to me. During Blow, Gord was dancing madly while Robbie dragged his silver finger slid up and down the neck of his guitar. Paul was playing so hard he broke two strings at once and kept playing. During Grace, Robbie came over and head butted Sinclair, trying to mess with him. Gord D. took his mike off the stand and spun around purposely tying himself up. Robbie was on fire for his solo and Gord was dancing about in slow motion. It was a great sound and visual. As was mentioned by others, at the end of the last song Nautical Disaster, Robbie came over and kissed Gord, goofing around again.

After the show there were alot of people invited to the meet and greet with everyone but Gord D. There was almost 100 people there. It was difficult to speak with the guys but we managed to and each one invited us to another party at the Seahorse Tavern later. Everyone was there including Gord D. About half the people from the meet and greet were there including all the road crew members, Joel Plaskett Emergency and three of the Trailer Park Boys. Ricky, Julian and Bubbles were there. Gord D., Paul and Robbie played pool against everybody and Gord S. and Johnny mingled about. Robbie sat at the bar and spoke with Carolyn and I for a half hour. I was able to speak with The Hip, Joel Plaskett and I said hello to the Trailer Park Boys. I certainly had a great time and I have to thank Robbie and all the guys for treating Carolyn and I so well.

We left the bar at 4:30 am and walked to our hotel. We caught a taxi to the airport an hour later and slept on the plane. I'm too old to be pulling all nighters.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

I don't think you can ever say you are too old with a story like that Hugh. You know how jealous I am and one day I will be able to meet the boys and share a story much like you!

Awesome work bud. Glad you and Carolyn are home safe!
Tarokun
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Tarokun »

That's a sweet story!!! Do you know Rob Baker from way back?
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

ladies and gentlemen...we have a new hipbaser who is the absolute envy of everyone....seriously, i fantasize about the night you just described....great post :thumb:
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Kim
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Kim »

I can't believe the guys are so approachable, amazing.

That's a great review Hugh, thanks for sharing that. :thumb:
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Allow me to reply to Hugh's post by saying that Hugh is the most enthusiastic, fun and friendliest Hip fan ever! What a great guy. He remembered me from way back in my trading days, calling me "one of the originals" when he introduced himself at the Halifax show. Jamie had told me a bit about meeting him in Philly this year, but I wasn't prepared for Hugh and Carolyn's energy. If any of you folks ever know beforehand that you're going to a show where Hugh is going to be... seek him out. The show will be that much better for it.

Hugh, it was a pleasure!

Rory
Halifax
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

i work with alot of eastern folks and i plan on one day tieing a vacation that way with a hip tour and i will seek all of you guys who have made fantastic contributions to the hip community to raise a glass of milk, gordily speaking.it`d be a pleasure
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Wow Hugh, that sounds incredible! Thanks for the fantastic re-telling!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

wpghipfan wrote:Allow me to reply to Hugh's post by saying that Hugh is the most enthusiastic, fun and friendliest Hip fan ever! What a great guy. He remembered me from way back in my trading days, calling me "one of the originals" when he introduced himself at the Halifax show. Jamie had told me a bit about meeting him in Philly this year, but I wasn't prepared for Hugh and Carolyn's energy. If any of you folks ever know beforehand that you're going to a show where Hugh is going to be... seek him out. The show will be that much better for it.

Hugh, it was a pleasure!

Rory
Halifax
It certainly was a great pleasure to meet Hugh. I'd read so many great things about him on this message board. Although I only met Hugh for a few seconds, the energy he had was unbelievable. Such a nice and upbeat person and obviously a big Hip fan.

My buddy called me from the Halifax airport,( the same guy who was literally in a trance in Sydney from the show) and said, "Steve, take a guess at who I just met. I was just walking around the airport and saw a guy who looked like Bob Baker. The Hip are at the airport." Then he had to go over and profess his great admiration for Mr. Downie and got a few ticket stubs signed. He said the guys were just sitting there and were very unassuming. You wouldn't know they are big rock stars in Canada. That lucky bastard!!!!!I thought he was in a state of utopia by the sound of his voice on the phone. I WISH I WAS IN THE AIRPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a HUGE HIP FAN and am borderline obssessed with them but I've never seen anyone who was as mesmorized as my friend after seeing the Sydney show. He couldn't put it into words. It looked like he was still in a daze at the Halifax show.