2004-12-05 - Halifax, NS - Metro Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

soquester
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by soquester »

mrlayance wrote:
highlander wrote:4 encores. :jump :jump :jump :jump
What!
soquester wrote:My section (32 - Robby side of the stage, more or less beside the stage), was kinda dead... We sat for the main part of the show, but then for the encores I was standing, clapping, dancing-ish and singing everything...
I still can't believe people still sit for concerts in Halifax, blows my mind....
Well, I felt like a tool standing with nobody within 25 rows of me standing... As I said, we stood for the encores (at which point I turned to the two people I was with and said, we're standing for the encore, no matter what... Then we swayed to Long Time Running... it was funny... and then I yelled at the people in front of us not to sit down - like in general, not at anyone in particular... it was funny)...

One extra note, I was sorta suprised that they came out the third time, cause of the way they played Blow... AWESOME though... And Paul broke 2 strings during it...
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

soquester wrote:
mrlayance wrote:
highlander wrote:4 encores. :jump :jump :jump :jump
What!
soquester wrote:My section (32 - Robby side of the stage, more or less beside the stage), was kinda dead... We sat for the main part of the show, but then for the encores I was standing, clapping, dancing-ish and singing everything...
I still can't believe people still sit for concerts in Halifax, blows my mind....
Well, I felt like a tool standing with nobody within 25 rows of me standing... As I said, we stood for the encores (at which point I turned to the two people I was with and said, we're standing for the encore, no matter what... Then we swayed to Long Time Running... it was funny... and then I yelled at the people in front of us not to sit down - like in general, not at anyone in particular... it was funny)...
I have a good story about a show in Halifax. I will tell it to you some day.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Tarokun
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Tarokun »

WELL, that was a hell of a show! 3 encores, with the sweetest being the last one. Grace and Nautical. Even though I was trying to not hope for any songs I was really craving Grace, and when it didn't come up in the #2 slot (Fully), I thought my chances were gone. The main setlist was pretty basic, with Locked included, and no Good Life or Fireworks. The first encore was Heaven, Long Time Running, and Little Bones. 2nd was You're Everywhere, Boots, and Blow. Then the screen just said "H I P", and the lights stayed off, and I was so happy for the 3rd encore. I got to meet hugh23 (who was writing the setlist I think), highlander, rory, and jamie hip11. Too bad their battery ran out. My seats were so good, 3rd row in right section, I was on the aisle, and the first-timers that I went with really loved the show.

Gord was really crazy tonight, he did some nice bull riding and microphone stand tricks, and it was great to be able to see his expressions. JPE was also really good, I had never seen him live before, but I like his radio tunes.
All in all, amazing
canes67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by canes67 »

Just got home from a 2 hour drive from Halifax. I have to say the Hip aren't showing their age at all. I've seen them 5 times in the last 8 years and I think this was the best show I've seen yet. The enery from Gord and the band and the crowd was really high. There were really no lulls in the show at all. We were in Sec.20, Row B, lucky enough to be in an area where people stood up the whole show which didn't seem to be the norm. I find it hard to beleive people can't stand up for a couple hours with the Hip playing. I'd find it impossible to sit down. Also surprised these shows don't sell out. Us Maritimers always complain about bands not coming out here, but it seems like we don't really support them very well when they do. Maybe there's a connection?

The show was amazing from start to finish. Gord was on fire. Wasn't sure if we'd get 2 or 3 encores, but I figured 3 where the crowd was loud and it was the last show of the tour. But then when they played Blow At High Dough during encore #2 I thought they might end it. I was kind of surprised to see Grace, Too in the encore, but it worked great, and the Nautical Disaster closer was just as good. Too bad for the guys taping that the battery ran out during the final encore.

Here's a rough guess at the setlist, the first set not really in order, but the encores are. And I may have missed a couple from the main set since this is all from memory.

Vaccination Scar
Fully Completely
M@W
Courage
Summer's Killing Us
Gus
Locked in the trunk
Bobcaygeon
100th Meridian
ABAC
Nashville
Makeshift
Poets
Gift Shop
Are We Family
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
Heaven
Long Time
Little Bones

2nd Encore:
You're Everywhere
Boots
Blow

3rd Encore:
Grace, Too
Nautical Disaster

Overall it was amazing. Really liked how the tunes from IBE sounded live. Just regret not going to St.John too, but the tour's over. Can't say anything negative about the show. Great energy, stellar performance from Gord, and even though I knew they were doing 3 encores quite a bit, I'd never been at a show where that happened, and it was pretty cool to see them keep coming back.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Met wpgfan(Rory), Highlander(Darren), hip11(Jamie) and friends. We all had a great time at the show. Carolyn and I had backstage passes and went to a local bar called the Seahorse Tavern were we partyed with all the band members until 4:30 am Atlantic time. I will post more when I get home to Detroit.

Gord D. said his multi-colred sweat band was just there to collect sweat, but he felt it had supernatural powers (ha ha). Those were his words.

Rory, I was able to get all the band members to sign your Manitoba license plate and personalize it just to you. They thought it was cool!

More tomorrow. Off to catch my flight.
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Halifax Daily News review of the show:

http://www.hfxnews.ca/ click on Arts/Entertainment

They said sold out on the front page of the newspaper edition. It was far from sold out but still about 8000 (MC holds about 10,500 packed) or so in my estimate.

Here's the Nova Scotia Chronicle Herald's Review:
http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2004/12 ... 4.raw.html

High

PS - The Seahorse Tavern Hugh? DAMN!!!! That would have been a great time. Was great to meet you and your wife. Have a safe trip back to Detroit.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Hugh23 wrote:
Gord D. said his multi-colred sweat band was just there to collect sweat, but he felt it had supernatural powers (ha ha). Those were his words.
You. Are. The. Man. Thanks for asking!
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Just waking up on Monday morning with a few thoughts of the show. My girlfriend Jen and I flew in from Toronto on Saturday morning and had the good fortune to stay with Rory and his fiance Brandy for the weekend.

We left for the Halifax show just after 7:30pm when Rory's babysitter came to take care of little Kira. We parked about 5 minutes from the Metro Centre and it was a nice -15 degree walk to the venue....damn cold for sure compared to Toronto. Rory brought his video carema and Darren met us in the seats with his tri-pod. No problems at all getting in with gear...a quick open the bag...and in we went and down to the 7th row. Dave Kikuchi came over to say hello sporting a Canada jersey and it was great to meet him. Admiring our great seats, I then went and got a couple drinks for Jen and I and upon coming back Hugh and his wife stopped in for a hello. They were excited as hell and sitting 3 rows in front of us. Really really awesome to see them again and Rory says a huge thank you for getting his license plate signed.

On to the show....A setlist isn't on thehip.com yet but a few highlights for me were Locked, Fully, Are We Family and hearing Grace in the encore was awesome! Another highlight was the big kiss that Robby planted on Gord after the show was over...damn smack on the lips.....we were kicking ourselves because the battery on Rory's video camera died a couple seconds into Grace. Gord was very animated tonight throwing himself and mic all over the place. Jen took pictures for me while I watched the show. I haven't looked at them yet, put I'll post them somewhere or even on the dvd.

Nonetheless, Rory and I watched a little of the video this morning and it turned out pretty good.....I know I know...we missed Grace and Nautical but we're hopping another taper got the whole show for a possible double-angle vid. If someone else did video it..come forward and PM Rory (wpghipfan).

A big huge thank you to Rory and family for letting us stay at their apartment for the weekend. With now 40 hip shows under my belt, I'm flying home at 3:50pm today with tons of great memories this weekend.
I can't wait to re-live them all with a couple smoking dvd's.

Jamie
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

highlander wrote:Halifax Daily News review of the show:

There seems to be quite a trend in the print media, right across this country, to refer to Gord as both Downie and Downey within just a couple of words of each other. It's amazing how often we see this mistake go unnoticed in all of the review links that are posted here. Maybe I'll become a newspaper editor, it seems like an easy job.
highlander
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by highlander »

Hairbird wrote:
highlander wrote:Halifax Daily News review of the show:

There seems to be quite a trend in the print media, right across this country, to refer to Gord as both Downie and Downey within just a couple of words of each other. It's amazing how often we see this mistake go unnoticed in all of the review links that are posted here. Maybe I'll become a newspaper editor, it seems like an easy job.
If you can't spell or use grammar properly you could apply for a job at the Hfx Daily News. I held off till today to cancel my subscription. HORRIBLY written newspaper. It's known locally as the "Daily Snooze"

High
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

The official setlist, courtesy of our finely-shot video by Highlander:

Scar
Fully
Music
Gus
BobC
Summer
Courage
Makeshift
Gift
ABAC
Nashville
Meridian
Family
Poets
NOIS

E1:
Heaven
Long Time
Bones

E2:
Everywhere
Boots
Blow

E3:
Grace
Nautical

Cheers!

Rory
Halifax
Last edited by wpghipfan on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Long live the Hip. I just got home from Halifax!!! That Robbie and Gord kiss was a moment for the ages. I thought it was funny when before coming out for one of the encores you could see Robbie's shadow behind the screen and he was making a gesture that looked to be signifying smoking a joint. Gee, I wonder what the boys do between encores sometimes. haha

Decent crowd, not like the bums in Sydney. I enjoyed the show quite thoroughly. The Hip's bodyguard and the security in general was very tight. The crowd seemed well behaved and I FINALLY GOT TO SEE GORD RIDING THE MIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was standing at the Waterkeepers display before the show and this woman with an all access pass was talking to one of the Waterkeeper guys and I overheard her mention Pearl Jam. Then I heard her say she works with Pearl Jam and they would support a cause like Waterkeepers. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I wanted to have a chat with her about the whole situation!!!!!

Family, Fully Completely, and Locked!!!!!! WOWOWOWOWOW!!!! AND I GOT TO HEAR HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Great show, good crowd and an all around great experience. Joel Plaskett was pretty darn good too!!!!

Rory, Jamie, Highlander, Hugh, and friends great to see you guys there!!!! You guys see the guy who is on the Trailer Park Boys? Does he work at the Metro Centre? You know, the guy who ran for Trailor Park Supervisor and they snuck shrooms into his hotdogs. HA HA, I was going to shake his hand but didn't bother. Anyway, I'm rambling, what a weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Oh yeah, near the end of the show when Gord was walking back and forth looking into the crowd and then stepped up on of the the monitors, that was MAGIC! The crowd ate it up!!!
cferneyh
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by cferneyh »

canes67 wrote:Just got home from a 2 hour drive from Halifax. I have to say the Hip aren't showing their age at all. I've seen them 5 times in the last 8 years and I think this was the best show I've seen yet. The enery from Gord and the band and the crowd was really high. There were really no lulls in the show at all. We were in Sec.20, Row B, lucky enough to be in an area where people stood up the whole show which didn't seem to be the norm. I find it hard to beleive people can't stand up for a couple hours with the Hip playing. I'd find it impossible to sit down. Also surprised these shows don't sell out. Us Maritimers always complain about bands not coming out here, but it seems like we don't really support them very well when they do. Maybe there's a connection?

The show was amazing from start to finish. Gord was on fire. Wasn't sure if we'd get 2 or 3 encores, but I figured 3 where the crowd was loud and it was the last show of the tour. But then when they played Blow At High Dough during encore #2 I thought they might end it. I was kind of surprised to see Grace, Too in the encore, but it worked great, and the Nautical Disaster closer was just as good. Too bad for the guys taping that the battery ran out during the final encore.

Here's a rough guess at the setlist, the first set not really in order, but the encores are. And I may have missed a couple from the main set since this is all from memory.

Vaccination Scar
Fully Completely
M@W
Courage
Summer's Killing Us
Gus
Locked in the trunk
Bobcaygeon
100th Meridian
ABAC
Nashville
Makeshift
Poets
Gift Shop
Are We Family
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
Heaven
Long Time
Little Bones

2nd Encore:
You're Everywhere
Boots
Blow

3rd Encore:
Grace, Too
Nautical Disaster

Overall it was amazing. Really liked how the tunes from IBE sounded live. Just regret not going to St.John too, but the tour's over. Can't say anything negative about the show. Great energy, stellar performance from Gord, and even though I knew they were doing 3 encores quite a bit, I'd never been at a show where that happened, and it was pretty cool to see them keep coming back.
Great review!

This is off topic, but how exactly does one become a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes?
canes67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by canes67 »

Long story. Goes back to when Francis, Verbeek, Dineen & Liut were playing in Hartford. They were decent back then, and I've been a fan ever since, even after they moved to Carolina. I've given up on them a couple times after some lousy trades, but I always end up cheering for them again. Noticed someone else on here had a Whalers avatar, can't remember who though.