2004-12-03 - Saint John, NB - Harbour Station

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

when it comes to some things(especially a hip concert) there is no such thing as "had to leave"
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

I concur! Back to the show, though. 'Twas orgasmic, to say the least! Nautical and Long Time were definitely highlights for me. Gord's antics with "Microphone Stan" were hilarious as always. The video screens were very cool as well. I wish thehip.com would post the setlist since I'm fuzzy on the exact list also. Overall it was an excellent arena show ranking just behind "An Evening With" for me only cuz they played 30 songs that night. Last night will make my top 5 all-time outta 25 shows. Voice still hoarse. Mind still foggy. Must nap.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

did it seem short to anyone else? i don't think they played for 2 hours
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

Aren't there always complaints about how the Hip never travel to Atlantic Canada? Where are the reviews from those that complain?
The Dire Bunny
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Dire Bunny »

thedarkcanuck wrote:when it comes to some things(especially a hip concert) there is no such thing as "had to leave"
Geez... I told you guys it wasnt up to me to leave. I would have stayed all night if I had the choice!
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

The Dire Bunny wrote:
thedarkcanuck wrote:when it comes to some things(especially a hip concert) there is no such thing as "had to leave"
Geez... I told you guys it wasnt up to me to leave. I would have stayed all night if I had the choice!
They're just ribbin' ya. Don't worry about it. :thumb:
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

How about the actual setlist? Ya, I can do that....

Setlist - Harbour Station, St. John, NB Dec. 3, 2004

Vaccination Scar
Fully, Completely
My Music @ Work
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
As Makeshift As We Are
Gift Shop
Ahead By A Century
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
At The Hundredth Meridian
Are We Family
Poets
Little Bones

1st Encore:
You're Everywhere
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
New Orleans Is Sinking

2nd Encore:
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
Long Time Running
Blow At High Dough
The Dire Bunny
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Dire Bunny »

does anybody have any photos of the show? I would love to have some as souvenirs!
The Dire Bunny
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Dire Bunny »

btw, what did everyone think of the Joel Plaskett Emergency as an opening act? I think they were great!

I love it when bands have good opening acts, it doesnt happen often, but when it does it makes it even more worth it! :thumb:

reminder: Any photos from the Saint-John show yet? :cry:
The Darkest One
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by The Darkest One »

Sorry Im kinda behind the times. I just signed up here. I was at the show. Ill say one word to explain it. Wicked!

The highlight of the night for me was Blow At high Dough, man that was great.

I was the driver so I remember the show very well. Ya truly great.

I loved the way that C98 hyped the show. It seemed like every third song on the radio leading up to the concert was a hip song.
the Doctorb
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by the Doctorb »

OK, I'm only 3 months late writting this review... forgive me, I just found this forum yesterday!
The concert was my 5th Hip show, and quite honestly I'd rate it as being #4 on my extremely short list of Hip experiences... excellent show, just not stellar. My thoughts on the setlist after the show were "it was safe.", not words I wanted to use but that's what I was feeling. With bands like the Hip, who have such a large catalogue(sp?) to draw from, it's hard not to leave a show disappointed because they didn't play what you wanted them to play... and that's selfish thinking I know. They really didn't play much off of In Violet light (one of my favorite albums of theirs), maybe one song, which I thought was dissappointing considering it was released only 3 years ago... I mean, where was 'Dire Wolf', 'Dark Cannuck', 'Use it Up'?
Ok, enough about my personal disappointments... the place was packed, the crowd was real loud, everyone in attendance had a GREAT time, including the 18yr old kid who got leveled by a security guard after jumpimg over the boards onto the floor. As he was being dragged away he was still singing along to Blow at High Dough!
The opening band, 'the Joel PLaskett Emergency' were great. I've seen these guys more times than I've seen the Hip, and they always put on a great show. Like most bands, they sound better in a club, but Joel really engaged(sp?) the audience, and by the end of it alot people were grooving to the Emergency.
The way the Hip walked on stage was real cool, 'the shadows behind the silk screen' effect was real nice, it realy added to the build up of the band walking on-stage ready to kick everyones ass in attendance. The guys were real tight, tightest I've ever heard them, with Gord S holding down the bass-end, Johnny givin'er on drums, Rob B laying down some sweet peddle steal guitar on 'Vaccination Scar', Paul's backing vocals were the best I've ever heard, and Gord was his usual stellar self. His boxing match with the mic stand during Fully Completely was a real sight.
They performed the new songs really well, and the images projected onto the screens behind the band fit perfectly, the best being the young girls eyes during 'Are we Family'.
Personal favorites of the evening were 'Fully Completely', 'Gus...', 'It can't be Nashville', 'are we family', and 'Long Time Running'.
All this to say it was a great show, just not stellar. I've really gotta head south and see these guys in a small club/theatre, the Arena shows are great, but not intimate enough. I think seeing Gord and the Country of Miracles a few summers back in Ottawa really spoiled me, there was a good sized crowd, but there was plenty of room to move, we were 10 feet from the stage and the band played like they were performing to 5 people, really intimate.
Thanks for reading.
Cheers
Doc
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Saint John Show

Post by sean.bonner »

This was my first THip concert. I owned three of their albums prior to the concert. I had second row tickets and beackstage passes. The concert was thorough and all around amazing. "Long Time Running" was a particular treat. Since the concert i have purchased all of the other eight albums (and the EP). Next time they come anywhere near where I'm at, I will go, and I will glady pay as much money as requested.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Re: Saint John Show

Post by sean.bonner »

sean.bonner wrote:This was my first THip concert. I owned three of their albums prior to the concert. I had second row tickets and beackstage passes. The concert was thorough and all around amazing. "Long Time Running" was a particular treat. Since the concert i have purchased all of the other eight albums (and the EP). Next time they come anywhere near where I'm at, I will go, and I will glady pay as much money as requested.
Oh look. I was such a cute little n00b.
Just wanted to wish myself Happy Anniversary.

Post Count = +1
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Re: Saint John Show

Post by MAverick »

sean.bonner wrote:
sean.bonner wrote:This was my first THip concert. I owned three of their albums prior to the concert. I had second row tickets and beackstage passes. The concert was thorough and all around amazing. "Long Time Running" was a particular treat. Since the concert i have purchased all of the other eight albums (and the EP). Next time they come anywhere near where I'm at, I will go, and I will glady pay as much money as requested.
Oh look. I was such a cute little n00b.
Just wanted to wish myself Happy Anniversary.

Post Count = +1
Fool:)
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

such an awesome show.