2004-11-28 - Ottawa, ON - Civic Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

I've sent an email to the taper, suggesting he just send the DVD with the camera audio.
In an email to the taper, I wrote:Hey man,

I’m getting a lot of negative feedback from fans suggesting that distributing this DVD with the livedownloads audio is a violation of their policy, and is just as bad as torrenting the download itself. With that in mind, I would suggest you send me the DVD with just your camera audio. If you want to go and do a mixed version for personal uses, go right ahead.

Let me know what you decide.
I'll report back when I hear back from him.
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

Well show #4 this year has come and gone...and I have to say that I have gone away happy once again...a few songs I really would have liked to have heard, but beggars can't be chosers. Boots was nice to hear...and I'm lucky enough to be 4 for 4 with Makeshift...damn I love that song.
Saw Shannon W and who I assume was Stephen from 3 rows back on Langlois side.
I too must echo the sentiments of the others in saying that the crowd was the most behaved I have ever been a part of at ANY show. It was great to see a father out with what I guess to be his 10 year old son...and the kid knew a lot of the words.
All in all a good show...counting the days until show #5
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

robert goulet wrote: Saw Shannon W and who I assume was Stephen from 3 rows back on Langlois side.
Did he hit on your girlfriend and insult your taste in beer? If so, then that was my twin brother Kenny...

Dude, ya shoulda said "Hi."

P.S. You can see me screaming in the foreground of a couple of those shots... so that mighta been me you saw.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

kgray wrote:Did anyone get a copy of last night's setlist? Just wondering if any songs were changed, or if there was a planned third encore?

Thanks,
Kevin
Fine young lady next to me got it... and was THRILLED! Set was played as listed on the site, and no second encore was listed. She got Paul's setlist which has the cute nicknames Paul has for his guitars: "Lester" for the LP etc.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

Stephen Dame wrote:
robert goulet wrote: Saw Shannon W and who I assume was Stephen from 3 rows back on Langlois side.
Did he hit on your girlfriend and insult your taste in beer? If so, then that was my twin brother Kenny...

Dude, ya shoulda said "Hi."

P.S. You can see me screaming in the foreground of a couple of those shots... so that mighta been me you saw.

Said hi to me... sucker! :P

ps, rg, nice to see you again! :)
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

i posted some pictures but put them in the Toronto review..oops, still tryin to shake it off a bit.
TTH700FT
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by TTH700FT »

kgray wrote:Did anyone get a copy of last night's setlist? Just wondering if any songs were changed, or if there was a planned third encore?

Thanks,
Kevin
Seeing as nobody has posted a copy of the setlist as of yet....here goes! And bare with me please as this is my first time posting a pic.

And as Stephen mentioned, this was Paul's. My lady friend and I were pointing at Paul at the end of the show and we were asking him for the setlist. He pointed down to his setlist on the ground and then directly towards Paula telling her it was hers before walking off the stage. A few moments later, it was handed to her. We were pumped.
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

what an awesome show! we get to the civic centre and are having a few beers before the hip come on when we see everyone in our section move up a row, just crazy. all i can think at this point is that we've gone from second to first row and sure enough, that's what happened! :shock: can anyone fill me on why this happened? amazing to be so close and not have people crowd surfing on you every 5 minutes. after kingston, this was quite the relief. i'm hoping it's just as good NYE!

anyway, can't wait to hear the show again. i was with some of these other guys in the front, there must have been a healthy hipbase contingent in section 34. i also have a setlist, but it doesn't look like this other one. the writing is smaller, and it has the chords for vapour and boots. as soon as we can get the scanner working in the office i will post it.

while the setlist might seem "average", this was show 4 for me this year and by far the best the band have sounded. gift shop and vapour were personal highlights, and anyone who thinks they just go through the motions during NOIS, Blow, etc., just wait for friday, they were definitely on this night.

see you in the hammer!

8)
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

here's the setlist that i ended up with. does anyone know why the writing is different on this one? it's an original, not photocopied. cheers 8)
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

That's Gord D's setlist...there is another one of his setlists posted in the Music/Musician folder with chords for all of the songs he plays guitar on. Basically because he's so new to playing guitar, and more specifically playing guitar on some of these more obscure tunes, he needs a quick reminder as to how to rip em' out.

That's a hell of a souvenier...congrats.
Goulet!!!
bomber18
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bomber18 »

Sounds like everybody is getting bumped up closer to the stage! Can anyone hook me up at the montreal show??
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

TTH700FT wrote:
kgray wrote: He pointed down to his setlist on the ground and then directly towards Paula telling her it was hers before walking off the stage. A few moments later, it was handed to her. We were pumped.
I noticed that, that was really cool of him... glad you guys got it! See ya in The Hammer!
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

robert goulet wrote:That's Gord D's setlist...there is another one of his setlists posted in the Music/Musician folder with chords for all of the songs he plays guitar on. Basically because he's so new to playing guitar, and more specifically playing guitar on some of these more obscure tunes, he needs a quick reminder as to how to rip em' out.

That's a hell of a souvenier...congrats.
Goulet!!!
Yep, that's Gordie's alright. I've got a similar one from Chicago framed on my wall. Same guitar notes for a lot of the songs, mine even has lyric references for those pot-induced memory lapses... :)

Hold on to that one!
orestesluna
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by orestesluna »

This was a very intense rock show. Not really ballady like they have been the other two times i saw them around this way. I really love their songs like nautical disaster and mean streak but if they just wanna rock out then i'm down. The whole performance was great but if I had to pick out a few highlights they would have to be Gus, Giftshop and say Springtime in Vienna.

Here is what was played in the correct order.

Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
Fireworks
Giftshop
Makeshift
Ahead by a Century
Summer is Killing us
Courage
It's a good Life if you don't Weaken
Vapour Trails
Poets
It can't be Nashville Every Night
@ the 100th Meridian
Are We Family
Music @ Work
New Orleans is Sinking

Gus the Metaphor
Boots or Hearts
Blow at High Dough

Heaven is a Better Place Today
Springtime in vienna
Little Bones
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

orestesluna wrote:
Gus the Metaphor
Boots or Hearts
Blow at High Dough
Both Paul and Gord laughed pretty good when he intro'd the song as "This is Gus, The Metaphor from Central Park!" Don't know if it's because of an inside joke... or if anything Bush related gets their funny bone... no not that Bush.