2004-11-28 - Ottawa, ON - Civic Centre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

Yes, the bending mike stand was perhaps the funniest thing I've seen at a Hip show.... I was 6th rwo, sec 32, to the right of the stage. There were 2 people in my row video taping, so I'm sure something will come out somewhere.

Gord Vs. The Mike Round 45 continued, like a Thrilla in Manilla. I was going to say Gord was losing the battle, as twice, TWICE! the mike flew off the stand on him..... But Gord got it back during 100th by riding the stand like a horse during a rant on Tokyo and bombs and such... (memory fuzzy)

Then, the stand warped on him.

I beleive at that point they got in a shouting match, and Gord tried to prove to the Mike that it was nothing without him, that it couldn't make any sound on it's own, and tried to prove it. Of course, the crowd erupted, to which Gord chastised the mike and said "that's not you! That's them! That's not you! They're making the noise!"

Perhaps the funniest exchange I have seen.

It was good to be so close to the stage again, haven't been that close since Fully Completey at the Halifax Metro Centre many moons ago.

And Vapour Trails sent shivers, as it's one of my favs and I never expected to hear it.

oh, PS. I wonder if Gord is getting asked a lot of questions about Gus, as he intro'ed it (with a laugh) as "This is Gus, the metaphor from Central Park!"

oh, PPS: The signs at the Civic about the livedownloads stuff said Vol. 3. does anyone know what Vol 2. is going to be be?
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

does anyone know what Vol 2. is going to be be?
Answer:

John Labatt Centre in London
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Awsome!

Post by downie_24 »

The show was simply magnificent. The sound in the Civic Centre is tremendous. This was the 13th time I've seen The Hip and this one definetly ranks up there in the top 3. The only downside is I was telling the guy beside me that on this tour ,when they only play 16 songs, they usually come out for 3 encores. Of courses buddy was all pumped up, so when the lights came on after encore #2, I kinda felt stupid. Highlights of the night for me, were Vapour, Makeshift, Boots, Meridian and the last 3 minutes of Blow....man that was cool!!
TTH700FT
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

2004-11-28 - Ottawa, ON - Civic Centre

Post by TTH700FT »

Same Tragically Hip thing!! I think not. 14th Hip show and counting and what can I say? Wow!!!!!!!!! What a show, what a night! The boys were definitely ON.

Still trying to figure out exactly what happened. Getting bumped from second row – Paul’s side – to first row. That was rough. Props up to the crew that made that possible.

Met some fellow Hipbasers and really did it up during NOIS–NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The crowd around us was awesome and really into the show. No crazy drunk people either – just everyone having a heck of a time.

Gord D. and the crew really did Ottawa proud. Considering it was their third show in as many nights, I was more than impressed to see how much energy the band still had in em’. Paul was really getting a kick out of Gord D. and all his antics (i.e., screaming into a non-existent microphone, riding the microphone stand for what seemed like at least a minute during Meridian, pouncing on his microphone like a tiger or some kind of football player, etcetera, etcetera). Lots of ranting, including this opener, “Let's make this a party, a dance protest party,” referencing tomorrow’s visit by Mr. GW to Canada. I think Gord managed to break only 3 or 4 strings this time. But he more than made up for that with that wilted mic stand of his.

Highlights for me: Makeshift, Boots, a wicked rendition of Blow, a more than decent version of NOIS, in which they are usually just going through the motions. Oh, and I almost forgot, FAMILY and VAPOUR. Are you kidding me?? This is my 7th show of the tour and finally got the opportunity to see Family. Great stuff boys. But, I have to say, Vapour definitely was the kicker. I nearly dropped to the floor when that came on. Actually, I think I did!

See y'all in the Hammer
Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

Yes, it was a pleasant surprise to see no drunken frat boys crowd surfing! Actually, I saw more families then anything, including the 5 kids in the row in front of me. I thought they were just there because mom wanted to go to the show, until someone brought out cupcakes with candles, party hats, etc. for one of the girls.... whoever brought them out looked like she had a pass on her, so maybe someone from the Hip's entourage????

Anyway, it was cool to see the 5 girls wrap their arms around each other and sway back and forth to Family..... Moments like that remind me how pure Rock and Roll can actually be when it's not surrounded by big corporate bull.....

"Let's have a dance party! Let's have a dance protest party! Hey now, don't look at what my foot is doing!!!!!"
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Gangrel wrote:Yes, it was a pleasant surprise to see no drunken frat boys crowd surfing! Actually, I saw more families then anything, including the 5 kids in the row in front of me. I thought they were just there because mom wanted to go to the show, until someone brought out cupcakes with candles, party hats, etc. for one of the girls.... whoever brought them out looked like she had a pass on her, so maybe someone from the Hip's entourage????
I noticed that after the show, the Hip's road manager (Or whatever that blonde woman does, was chatting with the parents after) Seemed like a really cool birthday party.

And just to chime in on what some other folks were saying: Yeah, Joel Plaskett was very, very good.
exnihilio
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by exnihilio »

So then the question begs...

Anyone have any pics of said mic stand violation?
Either the violation itself or the rivetting aftermath?

Or the round 100 tiger pouncing...

If there's a more entertaining frontman around I don't know who it is. Problem was I felt myself getting all giddy each time Gord *put down* the guitar. It's almost like kryptanite to his superman-like wackassed goofiness. I've oft wondered how much his accoustic backups really impact certain songs but likelyhood is that the sucker ain't even plugged in and he's just getting a breather.

The crowd for me was a real treat. I was 2nd row on Paul's side and had a 18 year oldish couple on my right and a maybe 15 year old and her 40+ Dad to my left. They had been discussing Hip albums and bands such as AC/DC and Led Zepplin leading up to the show. Good on Dad for introduing his kid to some strong Canadian rock so she's not lost to the Linkin Parks or Britneys. Anyhow, young (to me) couple to my right...the guy was *so* geared up as it got closer to the Hip being on. "C'mon, c'mon" murmuring under his breath. Didn't see a beer cross their lips either so they were there for the pure tunage. When the band came on he sorta jumped to his feet but then realizing the people behind him didn't he kind of did the up and down mambo eventually deciding the polite Canadian thing to do was to squirm in his chair and not obstuct (though it was killing him not to stand and show how much he loves the band. Lucky for him there was a gang of, seemingly, Torontonians behind us who had passed a few wobbly pops down who bolted up for Grace2. Upon seeing this happening and a couple directly in front of him popping up he was up in all his glory. I had gone by myself to save some dough so that gave me my greenlight too to get my grove on(hey, I'm a polite Canadian boy too)

It all felt very patriotic to me. My friend and I had bought seperate singles to get as close as possible..both 2nd row, mine being left and hers being dead center. She wound up getting a call to be the pre-show massage therapist for the Hip that night (big break for her and apparently they now have her card) so she wound up getting a free show and was going to run me her "better ticket" (she wound up scarfing my camera to attempt at some close up pics and mini vids) I wouldn't have left my section actually. It was a small pocket of fans that some wanted to stand and whoop it up and others didn't but everyone was cool with what everyone else did. However the standuppers often sat down for slower songs out of politeness to those non standers (though guy beside me was pained to have to sit at all. This guy was a fan man!) People in front of me never stood but man did they throw their heads back and sing it out but they just chilled in their seats and soaked it all in that way.
The sheer mix of ages, ways they enjoyed it and just coolness with whatever everyone else was doing was just kick ass!

I felt all warm and fuzzy and such...like a Polar Bear....hey maybe *that's* the metaphor....
Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

I noticed that after the show, the Hip's road manager (Or whatever that blonde woman does, was chatting with the parents after) Seemed like a really cool birthday party.

And just to chime in on what some other folks were saying: Yeah, Joel Plaskett was very, very good.[/quote]

I figured that's who the women was. I wonder if they got to go backstage...... damn, I wish I was in that birthday party. ;)

Good to see kids who are saving their souls with rock and roll though, much like that Rubicon day a lot of years ago at the Bedford Zeller's, whenI chose to buy Jethro Tull's Rock Island on cassette instead of MC Hammer..... :)
kgray
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by kgray »

Did anyone get a copy of last night's setlist? Just wondering if any songs were changed, or if there was a planned third encore?

Thanks,
Kevin
exnihilio
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by exnihilio »

My thought would be that if this was their, what, 3rd show in 3 nights..that there wasn't a planned 3rd encore.
It certainly wasn't for lack of crowd enthusiasm that's for sure!

[quote="kgray"]Did anyone get a copy of last night's setlist? Just wondering if any songs were changed, or if there was a planned third encore?

Thanks,
Kevin[/quote]
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Hmmmm.... Sounds like a killer show, and I think that it will make for a sweet DVD. Speaking of which, a taper just contacted me, and said he's sending his recording my way. He may map the livedownloads audio over his video, so it may be another week or so, but when I get it, I'll post it on the tracker.
markslog
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by markslog »

hmmm remember torrenting/trading a fan shot DVD with a commercially release (i.e. livedownloads.com release) product is no better than simply torrenting/trading the actually FLAC/MP3 that you buy from livedownloads.com.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

markslog wrote:hmmm remember torrenting/trading a fan shot DVD with a commercially release (i.e. livedownloads.com release) product is no better than simply torrenting/trading the actually FLAC/MP3 that you buy from livedownloads.com.
I have been thinking about this one myself. Is there a way to password protect a torrent on the tracker? If so, maybe you could implement some sort of authentication process whereby you show proof that you downloaded the Livedownload version. Maybe it's a screenshot, or maybe a confirmation email from Livedownloads...I dunno. Just something to think about.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

ShannonW wrote:Here are my pics from the show... nothing special really, but Gord on the mic stand is pretty decent :)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v512/Shan ... %20Ottawa/
Score. They turned out nice! You'll have to send me the shot of me screaming along with Gord! :)
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

Are We Family was a real highlight. I think he really had the crowd's absolute attention (as opposed to the crowd silently ignoring it.) Went well with the graphics behind of two giant eyes.

"Wolf, wolf-lover" replaced with "Bush, Bush-lover" :)