2004-11-27 - London, ON - John Labatt Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-11-27 - London, ON - John Labatt Center

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

one word: woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
clarke
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by clarke »

what a show...wow...ok here is what they played not really in order

VS
Fully
Poets
Lake Fever (great)
Summer
Courage
BobC
Locked (so awesome)
(not in order)
Gus
Nashville
Family (very nice to finally hear it)
Twist My Arm ("for anyone who has every been coerced")
100th (best version i have ever heard, great rant about the mic)
700 ft (hell yes, awesome version, stripped down, very simple, awesome)
Music
New Orleans (Gord totally fucked this up, started with hands in the river before pale as a lightbulb, starts the whole thing over again, breaks a string, switches guitars and misses the new orleans is sinking and comes back with i dont want to swim, it was pretty funny)

1st encore
Heaven
ABAC
Fire in the Hole (great..."I'm gonna let you fuckers know")

2nd
Daredevil
Scared
Blow

3rd
Long Time Running
Little Bones

that is fairly close i think...anyways hell of a show...lots of road apples, it was so great...two nights in a row, two great shows, lots of different songs...no doubt about it, the hip are the best band in the world
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

That setlist ALMOST makes me wish I opted for London instead of the ACC last night. Would have loved to have heard Locked. Oh well, one of these days I guess.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Wholly Smokes........ Now that's a show....

Lake Fever
Twist My Arm
700 ft
Daredevil
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there were posters up around the JLC saying tonight's show will be available for download before Friday.

Here's the setlist in order:

Scar
Fully
Poets
Fever
Twist
Summer
Courage
Nashville
Bob C
Gus
Meridian
Family
Music
New O

Heaven
ABAC
Fire

DD
Scared
Blow

Long Time
Bones
das_hips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by das_hips »

I've never ever ever EVER complained about set-lists, but that show belongs on tape more than Toronto's show... Locked, Daredevil, 700FT and Twist My Arm... enough said... but... are they going to have anything left for Ottawa in 18 hours... these boys will be wrecked...
akoso
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by akoso »

Awesome show. As you guys can tell the setlist was great (Lake Fever and 700 Ft were completely unexpected). I hadn't heard any RA at the 2 earlier shows I saw in the States, so Long Time, Bones and Twist My Arm definitely made my night. Also, the back-to-back-to-back DFN tunes during the encores (Fire, DD, Scared) was great.

Gord was definitely into it tonight... enjoying his rants and smiling more than usual. At the end of the second encore, he stayed on stage after the others left and reminded London that the Hip have always loved playing there and that London has a special place in their heart. I think that comment served as motivation as most of the crowd stuck around and cheered like mad until the Hip came back for 2 more tunes

Great job on Long Time... I love seeing Gord guitar-less on the slower songs... so rare... great to watch him be animated in a softer song.

Before Daredevil, the Hip played an instrumental bit for about a minute and a half (think Last of the Unplucked Gems)... then stopped briefly and then started into DD. I'm not sure what it was, but it sounded awesome... someone please post what that was all about.

Blow was awesome... however Gord forgot what song they were doing. The intro played for a bit, Gord grabbed the mic and said "Don't t...". It sounded like he was about to start with "Don't tell me what the poets...", but then realized he was doing the song... so the guys looped through the intro again, Gord laughed it off and then hit into Blow nice 'n heavy. As the song was closing, Gord got down on the mic stand and did his low rider (pointing his gun as he was driving... like a drive-by shooting). As the last "Down at the speedway" was supposed to kick in, Gord stayed down there and just let the band keep playing. They then kicked into another heavy break, then came back to the last quasi-verse of Blow and wrapped up.

Gord ended the show with a short rant at the end of Bones about seeing the local water supplier on the way out. He said something about the river is yours... but once it's used up, you can never get it back... you can never put it back... so make sure to visit the water stand on the way out. I couldn't figure it out... you tell me.

Overall, the show was awesome... the crowd was a bit disappointing (a lot of head bopping, but not nearly as much dancing as I expected... although apparently London is notorious for that). JPE did a good job setting the stage. I wish I could've been at the T.O. show last night, after hearing that THE DVD was finally taped, but with the setlist from tonight and the geniune love for playing in London, I'm glad I didn't miss this show.

Anthony
akoso
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by akoso »

... forgot to mention, I brought my sister and her boyfriend to the show tonight. Neither of them have seen the Hip before and any interest my sister has in the Hip is mostly a result of me forcing it down her throat. She knew most of their radio-friendly songs, but not too many others. However, that, combined with her interest in more pop/mainstream music, still couldn't prevent her from calling it the best concert she'd ever been to. I can't wait to go home and start listening to my Hip albums now... I'll finally have some support for blaring the Hip throughout the house.

My sister. Hip fan #6,105,351.
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

im guessing the intro to daredevil was "hiccups"
bluesmantiny
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bluesmantiny »

WOW what an awesome show.....great to meet some fellow hipbasers as well.(don`t mind the spelling but i believe it was Chancelor,Thewheatking, and was it Hipfan11?) correct me if i`m wrong guys.I wasn`t even drunk! must be old age creeping up on me that i can`t remember names.....took lots of photos haven`t checked em out yet as we just got home......we were stupid enough to wait after the show for them....in the rain :x Gord D and Paul finally came out just before 3:00am.....got them to sign a few things before they took off.....so it was all worth it...I was lucky enough to get a set list as well.....here is a copy of it below
Cheers Tiny
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

Now, I was not at this show, BUT, I was at 102.1 studios in TO the other day and had a chance to talk with Sinclair and Baker. As I am there waiting to talk to Sinclair, I overhear him talking with the guy in front of me. The guy asks, "hey, could you guys please play Daredevil tomorrow in London." Gord says, "yeah, I think we could do that, we'll give it a shot." Sure enough there it is! I am just impressed by that. I know that they may have planned to play it anyways but that guy has to feel pretty good. The Hip are so cool.

Oh yeah, I took my brother there with me to the studios because he is a big fan and never met any of them (he didn't think it was possible.) After we left and after getting a couple pics taken with them he couldn't believe how nice and down to earth they were.

As far as the London setlist, AWESOME!
bluesmantiny
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bluesmantiny »

OK....so i was at edge 102 to see Bobby and Gord S also.(maybe you have seen my pic :P ).I was wearing my HIPBASE shirt (with pride) and once again i`ll mention that nobody said shit to me eventho there were all these HIPBASE members there??. I did loan out my sharpie marker to a few people to get things signed such as american dollar bills.......did that happen to be you Drez7?....did you not notice me there? I was the big bastard with the hipbase shirt on.....Please people any person wearing a hipbase shirt deserves a HELLO from any other hipbase members......even if the person wearing it is BIG and UGLY :lol: .........Cheers
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

bluesmantiny wrote:OK....so i was at edge 102 to see Bobby and Gord S also.(maybe you have seen my pic :P ).I was wearing my HIPBASE shirt (with pride) and once again i`ll mention that nobody said shit to me eventho there were all these HIPBASE members there??. I did loan out my sharpie marker to a few people to get things signed such as american dollar bills.......did that happen to be you Drez7?....did you not notice me there? I was the big bastard with the hipbase shirt on.....Please people any person wearing a hipbase shirt deserves a HELLO from any other hipbase members......even if the person wearing it is BIG and UGLY :lol: .........Cheers
I brought my own marker, so that wasn't me . I was wearing a red jacket and a tan hat. Then a blue Barilko jersey later at the show in the 2nd row. I remember you now. I didn't know there were other Hipbase members there. Ooops. Maybe I'll catch up with ya next show! I also went to the Loose Moose before the show but it was packed and I felt funny walking up to people and asking them if they were a Hipbase member. Maybe the screen name on the back of the shirt idea isn't such a bad one after all!
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

akoso wrote:Before Daredevil, the Hip played an instrumental bit for about a minute and a half (think Last of the Unplucked Gems)... then stopped briefly and then started into DD. I'm not sure what it was, but it sounded awesome... someone please post what that was all about.
Sounds like "Daredevil Reprise." They played this during DFN era, and again at a few of the Evening With... shows. There is a 'professional' release of this floating around the 'net. I think it was released as a B-side to one of their singles.
akoso wrote: As the last "Down at the speedway" was supposed to kick in, Gord stayed down there and just let the band keep playing. They then kicked into another heavy break, then came back to the last quasi-verse of Blow and wrapped up.
They did the same thing in Toronto.
akoso wrote:Gord ended the show with a short rant at the end of Bones about seeing the local water supplier on the way out. He said something about the river is yours... but once it's used up, you can never get it back... you can never put it back... so make sure to visit the water stand on the way out. I couldn't figure it out... you tell me.
Are you sure he didn't say, "Waterkeepers"?

Here's what that's all about: http://www.hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4820