2004-11-27 - London, ON - John Labatt Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

HipTrip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HipTrip »

Wow is right! The boys did it up big in London on Saturday night. 32nd show for me and that one is right near the top! What a setlist!! We had 11th row on PL's side of the stage. You could tell they were pumped up for this show. Gordie was really into it and you could see they were all having fun. Cool setlist with some surprises for sure. Everyone else has covered the show here well and mentioned the highlights.

Boot, I also think gordie tried to start Blow off with 'down at the speedway' instead of 'they shot a movie once'. The NOIS lyrics were very original - looking forward to hearing the download of the show.

Best songs for me were - Lake Fever, 100th, Blow, Fire, DD, Scared (a man selling fear) and Long Time running. That Jam before DD was awesome, did anyone see Gord S playing his bass right into his speaker stack?

I noticed 2 guys with video cameras on tri-pods in the centre section recording the show. They sure captured a good one on film! Gordie's dancing and ranting were excellent and he had some good mike stand moments as well. YOu cold tell he was having fun - see him sneak up behind PL near the end alsopretending he was going to take his guitar when they came back up for one of the encores ? It was cool how he stayed out and talked to everyone about enjoying London and mentioning that the room sounded great, also that the knights won. That was neat.
farmerdan
Completist
Completist

Post by farmerdan »

wow, what a show
i dont really have much to add
great setlist, nice to meet hipbasers before the show
definatly worth the drive!
hipfan_99
New Maybe
New Maybe

London Show

Post by hipfan_99 »

saw them in chicago this year and they were awesome
london, thank the good lord they finally came. last time was camp trillium benefit at centennial hall. The JLC made the sound awesome. Too bad we were only allowed one beer each. Don't worry, other things ceratinly made up for that. Long Time Running....WOW. This is show 15 and that is the first time i saw this live. I'd take Scared any day over Wheat Kings..thank you for that!! 100th meridian was awesome again....what a rant with the mircophone and the microphone stand. This ranks as one of the best hip shows i have ever seen. And it was only 10 mins to home. Thanks Gord and the boys. This show is etched in my mind forever.
Hipfan_99
"it's the same mistake, and i'm wide awake, it's been a long time running"
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

After a great show the night before in Toronto, it was off to London to see my 15th performance. I was very excited about this one. I hadn’t planned on going to Toronto until nearly last-minute, but I had been all over the pre-sale for the London show. We had 4th row seats, and I knew the view and sound would be great. My 14 year old nephew, and a couple of his friends, were also going to be there for their first concert, and I was excited that it would be with The Hip.

Because I volunteered to be the chauffeur for a few young teenagers, my wife and I had to forgo the chance to meet up with any Hipbasers, but thanks to my shirt, I was noticed by at least a couple of members. It turns out I was sitting directly behind LizardKing. Although, with all of the noise, I wasn’t entirely sure if he’d said LizardKing, or Wheat King, or some other kind of King, but now that I’ve read his review from the 3rd row, I’m sure it must have been LizardKing as I had suspected. I was also lucky enough to be spotted and approached by Hugh23. We were both heading off to our seats, so the introductions were brief, but it was great to meet such a revered member of the board.

The show was fantastic. I had loved Toronto the night before, and I loved this one even more. Lake Fever, 700ft Ceiling, Are We Family, Fire In The Hole, Daredevil, and Long Time Running were all great to hear. The crowd around me was a million times better than in Toronto, although I suppose that’s not surprising in the 4th row. My wife, who’s been to probably 8-10 of the 15 shows I’ve seen, thought that this may have been the best she’s seen. That includes a surprise gig at the Horseshoe, the Mod Club show, front row for The Evening With… show in Sudbury, a really fun all weekend event at Darien Lake, and several others. I tend to agree with her. Although I would be hard pressed to pick one favourite show, this one is definitely in the running. It’s hard to describe exactly why, but it was really magical for me.

Gord was an absolute dancing maniac on Saturday night. He had me laughing out loud two or three times during the show. His Michael Jackson like twirls were hilarious. His near screw-up and, quick catch, and great recovery at the beginning of Blow was great. “Down…(no, that’s not it, quick say something witty)…Up…(nice save)…They shot a movie once…”. The glance and smile over to Paul after that one was priceless. Before M@W, Gord started into his typical introduction about it being all good and well for us, but he’s got to get to work. Then suddenly this chord rings out that just didn’t seem right at all. Right away I assumed that Gord had lost track on his set list and was introducing the wrong song, as is known to happen from time to time. But then, things get back on track, and M@W actually starts playing. I looked over to see Gord Sinclair laughing at Robby. Robby shouted something over to him, like “I meant to do that”, and I could clearly make out Gord shout back “Yeah, right”! The two of them just started laughing, and throughout the whole song they kept making eye contact, and would both start laughing again. It was really a cool thing to stand there and watch.

As great as the show was, the high light for me may have been getting Gord’s set list. I’ve been waiting and trying a long time to get what I feel is the ultimate souvenir. The closest I’ve come was at last year’s New Year’s Eve show, when my friend got one while standing right next to me. In some selfish and backward-logic way, I was pissed, and felt that it should have been mine, since I’m clearly the bigger fan! Luckily, I didn’t hold a grudge, and finally I was able to add a set list to my own collection. I doubt that it could have come from a better show!
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

I almost forgot about meeting you Hairbird(James), in the concourse just before The Hip started. I was making one last bathroom run before the show started and I was racing back to my seat when we met. I forgot you were from Sudbury. I'm sure you'll agree it was worth the driving time to make the show. Too bad we didn't have time to have a beer and talk longer, but it is always nice to meet others from this board.
:thumb:
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

Hairbird wrote: Although, with all of the noise, I wasn’t entirely sure if he’d said LizardKing, or Wheat King, or some other kind of King, but now that I’ve read his review from the 3rd row, I’m sure it must have been LizardKing as I had suspected.
It sure was! Thanks for the plug :wink:

That also was one of my best hip shows ever, top 3 for sure baby. Hamilton 2000-12-21 was the shit though. :thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Parce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Great Show

Post by Parce »

This was a great show, Locked and Twist my arm early were great. 700ft ceilign was a nice surprise. 3 encores rocked, and endign with long time runnin into little bones finished the show off well. Venue was good not to big not to small.
HipMiramichier
New Maybe
New Maybe

What time did the HIP take the Stage

Post by HipMiramichier »

Hey, this for anyone, acttually, all replies would be appreciated! Going to the Hip on Friday in Saint John, the problem is that I can't leave work until 3:30 and I am 3 and a half hour drive from SJ, i am sure i can make the show... Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on what time the hip have been going on at... for example, the doors open at 7:00 and the venue site says that tehs how starts at 8... I have seen Joel Plaskett umpteen times already, and there is no doubt that they are good, but i am willing to miss them this one time in lieu of having a few drinks before the HIP... So i guess what i am asking is, if the show starts at 8... what time can I expect the HIP to be take the stage at??? ANy rough guesses would be appreciated... If worst comes to worst, my gf can drive while i have a few, but thats definetly a worst case scenario, having a womamn drive at night in the winter... sorry girls.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

the dark canuck
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by the dark canuck »

Hi guys i'm new to the board. i was at the london show it was amazing. a personal highlight for me was twist my arm and scared. The whole show was incredible lots of unexpected songs. only my second show but i plan on going to tons more. i'm going to the new years eve show i can't wait. anyways i was wondering if anyone has any good pictures from the show they would be greatly appreciated thanks
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

another the dark canuck, now this could get confusing
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

tell me about it!
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

i was having problems when there were only 2 of you but now 3
the dark canuck
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by the dark canuck »

sorry guys i'll get a new account
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

hey it's me emperor penguin formerly known as the dark canuck, sorry for the confusion, anyways does anyone have any pics from the london show, thanks