2004-11-27 - London, ON - John Labatt Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

WOW what a great show! Maybe the best arena show I've seen yet. When they opened with Vac Scar and Fully, I thought the setlist was going to be similar to the TO show from the night prior, BUT they really mixed it up last night. 700 ft was a big surprise and it was nice to finally hear Locked and Family. The Daredevil/Scared encore was a highlight for me. Did any notice that Rob's guitar seemed a little muffled at times? During M@W, I could hardly hear it...maybe it was just my location. In general the sound was really good. It was a great crowd, however I don't recall being at a Hip show where so many people were sitting down! We were in section 104 on Rob's side and MANY people around us sat for all or most of the show. It's a free country and there's nothing wrong with sitting, however it seems the sections closest to the stage are held back as COMP tickets and end up in the hands of people that are not big Hip fans. The upper bowl section closest to the stage directly across from us was sitting for the ENTIRE show, encores and all! Anyway, it was a really great show and well worth the drive from TO. Can't wait to download this show. The signs said it should available by Friday.
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

I might be wrong, but in the 20 times Ive seen the Hip, that might be the only time they havent played Nautical Disaster, I was a little surprised, but it was still an amazing show! I was in the 3rd row and Ive never been that close to the band before, it was real amazing, my ears are still ringing. Great Show! Gordy was a total nut night last night, he was really getting into it and ranting and dancing like crazy, me and my buddy couldnt stop laughing, what a fun show, it was great!! Cant wait for NYE now. :thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

hey bluesmantiny, u got the setlist, thats awesome, it was great meeting you, same with cougar_trader at Robinson Hall

It was cool seeing farmer_dan, the_wheat_king and thehip_11 again.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

The intro was definitely Hiccups. First time I've heard them play that... was the last time the MAW tour?? For a second it could've seemed like it was a DFN show... didn't they often come back for the encore and launch into Hiccups and then DD???

Nick
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

NOW THATS A SETLIST!!

I hope the new years set is exactly the same
Why did i go to toronto?

WOW what a set!
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

this is my first hip show were grace wasnt played either, but they made up for it with 700, twist, fever, DD, fire.
skippy the wonder dog
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by skippy the wonder dog »

The band was tight and Gordie was on his game. I have to say I don't think I've ever seen them have that many technical problems (ranging from a half dozen broken strings to changing out mikes to some problems Paul seemed to be having), but those problems didn't show up at all in the band's performance. And even the screwup in NOIS didn't mar the song.

I went with some people who had seen not-so-good Hip shows in the past and they went in with low expectations. They were blown away.

Highlights: Lake Fever, 100th Meridian with that microphone rant, Fire in the Hole where the mike tried to pay him back for the abuse .... too many highlights to mention!

I'm a-lookin' forward to the Live Series Vol. 2. Not least of all because the clowns behind me who shouted every lyric off-key won't be audible....
hipfan39
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by hipfan39 »

All i have to say, is second row (right infront of Gord) AWSOME!
And, hearing Hiccups/daredevil! What an amazing show!
As soon as they started with Hiccups, i was "Ohh my god".....
A song i have never heard live. What an awsome show, an awsome venue, and yah gord was into it allnight.
It was realy cool to make ete contact several times through out the night with Paul. : )

Also i have NEVER seen this before (maybe i am wrong) But did Paul ever use an accoustic gutiar for giftshop? If anybody notice he started off with it, (it didn't sound too good, Gord Downie even looked at him)...then about 3/4 quaters of the song done, he switched back to an electric gutiar......

Anyways! what a show.....
It was awsome to see every expression on Gords face.
cbeach40

Post by cbeach40 »

In a word– awesome! The set list was one of the best I've ever heard, and the band was just "on" the whole night. I was one of the few crazies :wink: that waited outside in the rain. Got Gord Downie to sign my copy of In Violet Light. A couple of people in the crowd made the show less than fun in couple of places (like trying to steal my friend's jacket), but it was overall it was incredible. Can'twait to download it. :D
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

Awesome show. Now THAT was a show I'd love to see on DVD.

Best version of Scared ever. Literally brought tears to my eyes.

50+ shows, and that may be the first time ever I haven't heard Nautical. But surprisingly, didn't miss it...

Beginning of Blow... sounded like Gord was starting with "Down at the speedway..." then realized his mistake, and started with "they shot a movie once... "

hipfan39... yeah, now that you mention that, I noticed that on Giftshop too... sounded much better after Paul switched guitars...

All I can say is... Download this show.
hipfan39
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by hipfan39 »

Check out a few audio (WAV) audio clips:
http://www.hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5055

-teaser

then later on the thrad i posted links for: 700FT, LOCKED, and POETS

Enjoy
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

We went to Robinson Hall across from the John Labatt Center to see if we would run into any Hipbasers. The bar was jam packed and we were amazed to hear an excellent live recording of The Hip at the Sarnia Bayfest playing over the sound system. It was then I ran into CougarTrader (Greg) who told me he gave it to the bar to play in exchange for two beers. The whole bar was full of Hip fans singing along and doing Hip chants.

The JLC is a very beautiful and well designed hockey arena. The sound is fantastic there. Even Gord D. commented at the end of the show that "London was a special place for the band and the rink sounds great". The show was a sellout and the huge crowd literally stood in their seats mesmerized by the band. At times there were portions of the fans sitting down. I've made this comment before. Canadian rock fans are so polite. There was very little jumping or dancing in the crowd as I'm used to in Detroit and the other U.S. shows that I have been to. But the crowd's intensity shone through by the deafening roar that erupted in between each set.

The set list is becoming stronger and more varied with each Hip performance. They played songs from every album except IVL and the first EP. There were flyers in the arena stating this show would be available on Livedownloads.com next Friday. The large curved screen displaying images behind the band adds to the show as does the two side screens showing close ups of all the band members. It seemed the camera crew would catch each one of the guys at just the right moment as they jammed out. My favorite songs were Lake Fever, Twist My Arm, Locked, 700 Ft., Fire, Daredevil and Long Time Runnin'. Gord was banging on the trunk lid during Locked. He had two bouts with the mikestand. One during Meridian and the other during Fire in the Hole. Gord won both matches. He dared it to make sounds without him as the crowd cheered wildly during Meridian. Then during Fire, Gord was kicking and pulling the mikestand back and forth while dodging it. He finally grabbed the mike by its cord and whipped it over his head, letting the stand fall to the stage. It was almost acrobatic.

The Hip were enjoying the rapport they had going with their London fans. When they returned for the first encore, Gord informed everyone that the London Knights had won in Barrie. A loud cheer went up. Later in the same encore, just before ABAC began, Gord stated that the song was about hockey players and their girlfriends.....or it was about hockey players and their boyfriends. There were a lot of laughs and chuckles with that statement. The second encore started with the Daredevil intro that was very similar to the "Hiccups" intro to Daredevil from the Henhouse Tour. Johnny played his drums with his padded thoms and the song was excellent. Blow at High Dough ended this encore with Gord riding the mikestand like a motorcycle while flashing a peace sign and holstering his gun in his back pocket. The cameras caught it on the big screen. It was cool.

The third encore finished off with Long Time Runnin' and Little Bones. The Hip played with great energy. If it's possible, The Hip are playing better than they did on the U.S. tour. All the guys look confident. Robbie's guitar playing was hot. Paul's voice and rhythm guitar were especially sweet. Gord S. was jammin' heavily with so much room to move on the large stage. He was doing it in his own unique style that is fun to watch. Johnny continues to attack the drum kit. He never plays lightly. Every beat is hit with intensity. Gord D. started the show off solidly and ended it with his wild flair for dancing and acting out. I don't see how any fan could have left that show disappointed.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

hipfan39 wrote:All i have to say, is second row (right infront of Gord)

Also i have NEVER seen this before (maybe i am wrong) But did Paul ever use an accoustic gutiar for giftshop? If anybody notice he started off with it, (it didn't sound too good, Gord Downie even looked at him)...then about 3/4 quaters of the song done, he switched back to an electric gutiar......
Giftshop??? i don't remember that being played. I know in scared,(i think it was that song) Paul broke a string and (Billy) Ray brought out his electric to finish out the song.
cougar_trader
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by cougar_trader »

Really cool meeting some fellow hipbasers at Robinsion Hall, chancellor, hip11, farmerdan, wheatking, hugh. :D
When the bartender asked id anyone had any hip on them I wasn't sure how it was going to sound in there but I was very impressed with the quality. I just recieved in the mail last week.

I had forth seats sideview Baker's side. Very cool, but the crowd around us didn't get really into it until the encores. Daredevil, Locked and Family were great to hear. I always love to hear 100th live and was glad to hear it and see/hear Gord's rant. Can't wait for Vol.#2 from livedownlaods.com :rambo: Definately the best setlist I've seen live. Missed GraceToo and IOD two of my favourite live tunes not that I'm complaining it was a great show. :thumb:

Gord's rodeo ride was hilarous. If anyone has any pics of that or any other good ones could you send the my way.