2004-11-26 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

tth50mc
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tth50mc »

Scottitude

thanks man - cheers! glad to be here and found this site. the pic with me and Don Cherry i thought was fitting for the boys from Kingston :)
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

Hey all,

Not going to rant about the show itself. Any hip show is a treat, and worthy of a dvd. That being said:

1. anyone notice the 40+ yr. woman being ushered out of the show during NOIS (I think), right in the front row. What a funny sight.
2. yeah, the drunks reared their ugly heads again. i wasn't sure the guy beside me (2nd row) was going to make it through the show. pale as a ghost, eyes closed, facing the WRONG way most of the night and bopping his head. bet you he doesn't remember where he was .
3. waited at the stage after the show for a setlist, one tech guy gave out Paul's or Gord's setlist, then ignored the rest, while two other techies took Robbie's and Sinclair's setlists for THEMSELVES!! then had the balls to FOLD them and put them in their pockets.....jerks!

Always good to see the other action going on at a concert..thanks HIP
Middleman2
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Middleman2 »

AWESOME SHOW!!! gord got a lil tired towards the end of the show, but the bands energy was incredible the entire show :thumb:
Hairbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Hairbird »

Well, I'm finally getting the chance to sit down and write a few thoughts about my weekend, and shows 14 and 15 for me in Toronto and London.

I wasn't planning to go to the Toronto show at all. As difficult as it was to accept, my wife had convinced me that one show on this tour would have to do, and I decided that London would be a good choice. A great venue, smaller than the ACC, and a chance to visit and stay with my sister and her family in Woodstock. I hadn't really given it another thought until I was browsing through some Hip memorabilia on eBay last week, and spotted a pair of tickets, being sold separately, at only about $10 or $15 each, with only around 10 hours left in the auctions. I didn't know how I would be able to use them, since we're in Sudbury, my wife had to work on Friday until 4:30, and we’ve got a 14 month old baby who was coming to Woodstock with us on Saturday. Never the less, the tickets were such a good deal, and with the chance of a DVD being filmed, I just had to keep an eye on them. Needless to say, I did end up getting them, and although the price did go up in the last few minutes, I did manage to get them both, below cost, and with Fed-Ex shipping from Massachusetts included!

Luckily, my wife was able to trade shifts, and get off of work at 3:00. I arranged to meet a good friend downtown at whatever time we could make it there. My wife and son were going to drop me off, and carry on to Oakville to stay with family, while I was going to stay the night with my friend. It almost worked like a charm. I picked my wife up at work, and we were able to leave Sudbury at 3:00 exactly. Despite the forecasts all week, the conditions were fine, and there were no delays on the drive down. We were driving into downtown Toronto at just around 7:00, and it seemed like everything would work out perfectly. Maybe even time for a beer before the show? However, there was one glitch. It turned out that my friend had accidentally parted ways with his cell phone after getting off work, and we hadn’t picked any particular place to meet, since I wasn’t sure what time I’d actually get there. Luckily, communications through a third party (his mom) still allowed us to hook up without too much delay, and we actually made it into the ACC by 7:30. We sacrificed the first song or two of the JPE for a chance to line up for beer, and then settled in for the evening.

Obviously I'm a little bit late getting into the review game, and a lot has already been written about the actual show, but I’ll add that I thought both the content and the performance were great! For some reason, I thought that Gift Shop was fantastic. As much as I love the song, I have never considered it to be any kind of a favourite, but something really made it stand out for me. I think that Robby really tore it up on that one, but I’ll be interested to hear it again, and try to figure out what it was that made that one seem so special to me at the time. I also thought that the Gift Shop/Springtime In Vienna combo was pretty cool. Again, I’m not sure why, but just like the album they seem to work so well side-by-side. Three Pistols is an all-time favourite of mine, and it was a real thrill to hear it live again. Boots Or Hearts was also a highlight for me. It sounded absolutely great.

The only negative part about the show for me was the crowd. For the most part, as I looked around, the crowd seemed into it, and excited to be there. But, it was a very different story for the sections around me, and right where I was sitting was probably the worst of all. I was incredibly disappointed, not to mention confused, by the total lack of enthusiasm by almost everyone in my section. My friend and I were on our feet as soon as the lights went down, and as the music started apparently someone behind us shouted for us to sit down. I didn’t hear it, but my friend felt a little awkward and dropped back to his seat. As Vaccination Scar finished up, I felt a tap on my back, and was asked with a scowl if I planned on standing all night. With a big grin I answered yes, and turned around and started bopping to Fully. Thankfully, my friend very quickly took my lead, and got back up next to me, so that I wasn’t the only loser gyrating around in the middle of a sea of motionless bodies.

The crowd barely left their seats all night. There were a few songs that got about 75% of the people to stand up, but not a single song had everyone on their feet. Not Courage, not 100th, not even NOIS. Even those songs that did get the biggest reaction, didn’t keep the crowd enthused for long. For example, Bobcaygeon had one of the best reactions when it started. A lot of people did stand up, and seemed to be getting into it, but as soon as Gord finished singing “that night in Toronto”, to roaring applause, most of them actually sat back down again! It was as if simply saying the name “Toronto” were some great climax that nothing could possibly top, so there was no point standing up and moving around until even the end of the song! Very strange. I’ve witnessed less than enthusiastic crowds in the Sudbury Arena before, but I didn’t expect this kind of reaction in the ACC, especially not on a night like that.

There was a mass exodus when Gus started, as if some demented pied-piper was calling everyone to pee at once. Despite the claims that Nashville has been getting decent airplay in Southern Ontario, the reaction it got was as if The Hip were suddenly playing before a crowd of opera fans who were not only shocked, but perhaps even a little pissed off, to suddenly be subjected to this strange music. Even before the encores, many people didn’t bother to stand up unless they were leaving. Of those that did stand up to cheer the band back onto the stage, many of them sat back down once the music started again.

It was disappointing, and despite my best efforts to ignore it, it was a bit distracting too. It’s fine to say to yourself, “who cares what anyone else is doing, I’m having a good time, and the band seems to be having a good time”, but it is still a little bit off-putting when you feel all of those eyes burning a hole in your back! By the end, my friend and I kept looking at each other and wondering what was wrong with these people, and why they’d bother to come at all?

Regardless, the show was great, and I can’t wait to see it again. Thanks to Chris for the unofficial version, and I’ll be waiting with great anticipation for the official one!
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

Scottiedude wrote: Something about how he is a better fan then everyone else just because he can stand a bad setlist, and doesn't wear hip shirts to hip shows.

Ok, look you can't get mad at people for complaining about a set list...this forum would be mad boring if there was no opinions...

Just because i come here and say, "man they should have played 50 mission cap" does not mean I didnt walk out the show with no voice on a mega hip high (all hip no drugs). But since a lot of us are in the double digits with this band we can compare shows and make 'observations'..

I dont think people are whining, i think they are creating interesting discourse about the bands choice in setlists, I think it is wrong to call these people whiners and not be more welcoming to them on this site.

Some people should stop being elitists, and welcome some difference of opinions. If you liked a show and someone else didn't, then use the forum and show review topic to friggin talk about the set list instead of calling these folks whiners.

also.

not all flag cape wearers are show ruiners...in fact most of us are special 'super fans' appointed by Gord Downie so stop being blatently jealous.
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

The show was GREAT. After having a crazy month of hip starting in Ottawa in a small club, then hitting Telodo and GR for two more crazy shows. Back to Ottawa for the Grey Cup I figured I had been too spoiled to expect anything more. Well man was I wrong.

These guys get better every time I see them, no matter what happens on stage, it always seems to happen on the stage. I've surely seen my fair share of 'outta no where' tracks with highlights being Greesy J, 700FT, Membership, and thanks for Vapour Trails.

Great to hear that a DVD's may be on the way because everyone should have the chance to see this one. TOns of crazy Gord, hope he was wearing knee pads for that tiger pounce! THe stage looked great although I cant really say I spent much time looking at the screens, or taking pictures.

All in all, a show filled with highlights (note a great crowd with which to sing along to family), a few great NOOOOOOOO's in the front row with ShannonW and Three Pistols Dames, and plenty more highlights from a long day and even longer night with great friends and plenty o good times!

Gift Shop!

I'll post a few of the better pictures I have, I also uploaded a big package of shots I took at Bearfest, Toledo and GR, on 100th, so thanks to those folks for that.

One CRAZY dance party!

See ya in the Hammer (my home town!!)
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

:shock:
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Cpt. Trips wrote:
Scottiedude wrote: Something about how he is a better fan then everyone else just because he can stand a bad setlist, and doesn't wear hip shirts to hip shows.

Ok, look you can't get mad at people for complaining about a set list...this forum would be mad boring if there was no opinions...

Just because i come here and say, "man they should have played 50 mission cap" does not mean I didnt walk out the show with no voice on a mega hip high (all hip no drugs). But since a lot of us are in the double digits with this band we can compare shows and make 'observations'..

I dont think people are whining, i think they are creating interesting discourse about the bands choice in setlists, I think it is wrong to call these people whiners and not be more welcoming to them on this site.

Some people should stop being elitists, and welcome some difference of opinions. If you liked a show and someone else didn't, then use the forum and show review topic to friggin talk about the set list instead of calling these folks whiners.

also.

not all flag cape wearers are show ruiners...in fact most of us are special 'super fans' appointed by Gord Downie so stop being blatently jealous.
but according to scottuide youre not a REAL hip fan if you complain about the set. So i guess the thousands of $$$ i have spent and the upteen bootlegs i have mean absoulty dick.
dasauce
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dasauce »

both my recent posts here belong in the Ottawa show review thread, jeez, this posting thing is tough.
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

awesome, that's my hair in Img_0910.jpg! can you move those to the ottawa thread somehow?
kbeauvais
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by kbeauvais »

Well i had crappy seats for this one, and i must of been tired from 7 hour bus ride from sudbury to toronto, but i didnt get into that concert much, i tried and tried, but it looked like Downie was tired. It still was good tho, good song selection, but i wish i had gotten into it before the end of the show tho. Well they did good.
Daredevil
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Daredevil »

That show was beyond amazing. Not to mention how fucked i was. Spring time in vienna and little bones were personal favs. Nautical and Gift show blew me away. three pistols was a wicked treat same with boots or hearts. Nashville was great too. Kinda disappointed that the crowd sang there hearts out for the old stuff but for the new stuff I felt like i was the only one singing. Great Show Hip, and im praying for the DVD.