2004-11-26 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

grooveless touque wrote:Looks like a great night for all, but the_wheat_king's second-to-last picture looks like major overkill on the lighting. Hopefully it won't be an irritating distraction on the DVD. The lighting was never better than on the Evening With tour, when they had the great circular screen...other than that, I've always thought the lights were too much at Hip shows.
I always love The Hip's light shows. Very Pink Floyd-ish 'trip-on-the-lights-and-music' light show. And you have to love the stage-wide screen behind Johnny this time around.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Ok, it's morning now (although most of my friends would disagree) and I'm ready to post some thoughts.

It was a routine setlist, that seemed geared to a DVD. This is not a complaint, I'm just stating my opinion. A full scattering of their songs from all eras. Great for a DVD, good for any concert. Our internet window into what songs they've played at other shows can make us jealous, but come on, we were at a Hip show, at The ACC on a Friday night, and they were filming it for a live DVD!!!

The stage lighting was awesome. Definitely brighter/more intense than most concerts I've been to, but I think it is necessary for the cameras. It definitely improved my video quality, and mansized's digital pics.

A few people have mentioned that they didn't see very many cameras; I saw a lot of cameras from where I was (row 14, centre floor)

2 Booms on stage
1 microphone mounted cam on Gord's mic
3 fixed remote cams on the front of the stage
2 cams in the soundboard area
2 steadicams
3 handhelds wandering the crowd
2 high angle cameras near the spotlights in the upper bowl
1 more in a location that I can't make out in my notes :lol:

My only complaint about the show has nothing (or everything) to do with The Hip. There were way too many drunk people. In the four rows in front of me, three people threw-up, multiple girls ran out crying, the paramedics were called to tend to someone, a few 'near' fights broke out.... I could go on.

I'm all for going out, and having a few beers with buddies before a show, but getting so wasted that you pass out at the concert (watch my DVD as I filmed this dude in front of me who passed out and then puked all over his feet. I didn't film the puking) seems like a waste to me.

---------------------

Now I'm at a crossroads; should I release my recording, knowing that The Hip are planning on releasing it? If they didn't want fans to film the show, they wouldn't have let recording equipment in. Ricky Wellington walked by me at least 15 times (you'll see his head block the shot a few times) and never said anything other than to give mansized and I thumbs-up and a smile/nod for our matching World Cup Team Canada jerseys.

I'd appreciate any input.
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Heya Chris et al...

I say release it. All of us here who get our greeeezy little hands on your sure-to-be-amazing show, are fans enough that we'll all pick up the official DVD IF, and when, it comes out. That being said, there is no guarantee that it WILL come out. Rob Baker said so himself on the radio interview yesterday. ANY official DVD released by the Hip, is going to be bought by damn near everyone here, regardless of whether or not we have your recording. I know I will...

Bring it on!

Rory
Halifax
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

direwolf74 wrote:
gratts99 wrote:It is late and this will be short. I understand that they had to play their "hits" for this dvd, but this is still disappointing to see a lack of friggin imagination from sinclair. everyone else gets something on or IOD or membership... we get ... not much other than 3 pistols.

without fully and 3 pistols this was one of the worst setlists ever... if new years setlist is the same that will be my last hip concert.

its a good life , if i dont hear its a good life ,again!

So let me get this straight: You were at a sold-out ACC during filming of the Hip's first ever live DVD and you're complaining??? I don't get it. I would have stabbed my own mother with a sewing needle to have been there tonight, even if it was a greatest hits show.

As for "Good Life", I couldn't disagree more. That's easily one of my all-time favorite Hip songs, especially when they do it live. I get chills whenever Gord belts out the final chorus. It's like he's singing with his entire body and it blows me away every time.
Its a good life takes the energy away from the crowd in my view... being there while filming the dvd was good and gords energy was great, but after 10+ shows.. i need to hear something i have not heard before
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

chris wrote:int about the show has nothing (or everything) to do with The Hip. There were way too many drunk people. In the four rows in front of me, three people threw-up, multiple girls ran out crying, the paramedics were called to tend to someone, a few 'near' fights broke out.... I could go on. I'm all for going out, and having a few beers with buddies before a show, but getting so wasted that you pass out at the concert (watch my DVD as I filmed this dude in front of me who passed out and then puked all over his feet. I didn't film the puking) seems like a waste to me.
I took the subway home and eavesdroppedon a conversation one of the security guards was having with someone else. I couldn't tell how many concerts she had done security at, so take this with a grain of salt, but she said it was the most unruly crowd she'd ever seen. She said that while the Marilyn Manson crowd was weird, and Metallic crowd was rough, beer sales last night were ridiculous and that this caused an unbelievable number of problems.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

wpghipfan wrote:Heya Chris et al...

I say release it. All of us here who get our greeeezy little hands on your sure-to-be-amazing show, are fans enough that we'll all pick up the official DVD IF, and when, it comes out. That being said, there is no guarantee that it WILL come out. Rob Baker said so himself on the radio interview yesterday. ANY official DVD released by the Hip, is going to be bought by damn near everyone here, regardless of whether or not we have your recording. I know I will...

Bring it on!

Rory
Halifax
i second that motion now that i am out of the penalty box
ron
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

mmilberg wrote: I took the subway home and eavesdroppedon a conversation one of the security guards was having with someone else. I couldn't tell how many concerts she had done security at, so take this with a grain of salt, but she said it was the most unruly crowd she'd ever seen. She said that while the Marilyn Manson crowd was weird, and Metallic crowd was rough, beer sales last night were ridiculous and that this caused an unbelievable number of problems.
A friend of a freind said that there was more beer sold at the Canada Day show than any event in the Amphitheatres history.

I think it's safe to say that Hip fans are beer drinkers.

-----------
On another note, my video has been transferred to my computer, and I'll get to encoding/burning later.

It should be on the tracker tomorrow - if I can get the pics from mansized eldorado.

:thumb:
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

No need for a song-by-song review, just some thoughts on the show...
They could not have picked a better night. Friday night, Toronto, and I think the fact that it was one night, and one night only added something to this show. The few hours before the show were filled with grins throughout the streets of Toronto, an incredible atmosphere. I had reservations about any sort of "light show" that we've been told about, but I thought it was a welcome change. The silhouettes of the boys before they hit the stage was nice, along with the forest-type backdrop during Grace, too. I thought the waves were a little cheese during Nautical. Had 10th floor left (Thanks again to Owen, who hooked myself and another 'baser up) and I had a great view of the entire show-anyone else catch the silhouette of Gord, upon returning for one of the encores, do some sort of jump as if he was trying to catch something? As always, the band seemed incredible appreciative of the crowd. I saw a lots of drunks as well, one girl in my row couldn't stand after the fourth tune. I thought Gord and Robbie were extremely mobile tonight, Gord played to the right side of the stage for the entire outro to Gus. I for one am a fan of him on the guitar-if it adds a level of his own enjoyment to the show, we all win in the end. The setlist didn't "suck" really, it just lacked any gems. Although I went to the show with six other guys, none of them ever having seent the band before, so case in point, I'd imagine those six guys went home happy with the set. You can't please everyone. The group bow at the end of the show was all class. After Blow ended, and we all knew that was it, it seemed as if Gord was trying to get the gang together for one last song, but the bow for the DVD would have to do. Lots of energy, the band wanted that show, I think they delivered....
London tonight....
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Bonz
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Bonz »

fingernailsonhull wrote: His bassist was like a punk with some red scarf on. Weird.
My theory, he needed the red scarf so people would recognize him. All kinds of people lined up to get Joel's autograph, but the red scarf dude just stood there hoping to be recognized :P

Boots was definately my highlight.

And Chris, I saw you too. Only recognized the jerseys and saw you taping. Figured it had to be you. Hotmetal and I were in early rows of 120.
clarke
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by clarke »

what a show...simply fantastic...everyone already knows the setlist, people are right it wasnt an amzing setlist but its not what songs they play its how they play them (wow that sounds kinda mature)...just a couple of my own notes...the sound on the floor was excellent...rants were audible and the levels and balance was great...gord broke quite a few strings, even in ABAC which i cant figure out how....to anyone that says Rob Baker plays the solos in concert the same as the cd, just wait until you hear the solo in Summer is Killing Us...i hadnt heard either ABAC or Gift Shop my last couple concerts so that was nice...definetly the best version of Little Bones I have ever heard, the energy just in Paul's intro was amazing...3 Pistols, nuff said...the "new" tunes were solid, hopefully we will hear a couple more tonight in London...anyways, what a show...number 11 in the books, 12 tonight
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

was it just me, or was gord more soaked then usual at the end...i mean...like...he was done...
Oyberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Oyberg »

This was show #10 for me, and it was a pretty damn good one. It was actually the first Hip show I've seen this year, so it was a real treat to hear some of the new songs live. I was really, really looking forward to hearing Josephine, Copenhagen, and Are We Family, but oh well. This just means I'll have to go to the New Years show now.

As others have mentioned, lots of hits were played, but they all sounded great. It seemed like there was a bit of a flub during Bobcaygeon, and Gord forgot some of the lyrics towards the end....this got me thinking that maybe it won't make the dvd, but we'll have to see.

I got some pretty decent pictures from 14th row left floor. If anyone is interested in more, let me know:
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Question for those that were htere: did the camera cranes get in anyone's view? Were they bothersome at all?

Rory
Hfx
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

I'm going to just post something quick, I absolutely loved the show, but after seeing 10 shows I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever been disgusted, like absolutely sickend, by the fans.

I sad 6th row in seats 13 and 14 with my girlfriend. We were both standing there rocking out to NOIS, when some idiot decides to drink and smoke himself to stupidity and pass out head first into my GF's back almost knocking her into the ppl in front of of us. The only reason I didn't let this moron fall flat on his face is if I did he would have taken down, my chair and gotten my jacket dirty.

Security guards did a fantatastic job, and cleared out the center lane quickly, but the same group of 6 people kept coming back, untill finally during the first of second encore, they came back and threw up all over the place where the lane ends.

Not to mention the 40yr old women that fell over into the people behind us.

All in all it was a fantastic show, that was almost ruined for me by a few assholes in the crowd.

The people I felt the worst for were the kids up in the 4th row, that had to deal with standing next to the vomit, and the morons for a good chunk of the show, it was clearly their first time at a hip show, and I hope they had a good time, and that doesn't deter them from coming out again.

Great show, I think I saw chris filiming, not sure if thats teh guy I asked his name to though. I can't wait for the dvd, and wow do I love the new stuff live
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

wpghipfan wrote:Question for those that were htere: did the camera cranes get in anyone's view? Were they bothersome at all?

Rory
Hfx
not at all