2004-11-26 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

boot wrote:
gratts99 wrote: Its a good life takes the energy away from the crowd in my view... being there while filming the dvd was good and gords energy was great, but after 10+ shows.. i need to hear something i have not heard before
I agree that it's always nice to be suprised by something new, but if you've seen 10+ shows, don't you think it's a little bit unreasonable to expect that you'll hear something you haven't heard before?
actually after 10 shows i have heard about 50 different songs. I walk away a happy camper if i go and here something that A) i have not heard b4 or B) have not heard in a long time..

fully, and 3 pistols made the show... i also love the energy from blow, even though ive heard it at every show.. it continues to impress.

But you know what, im not going to sit here and say that i loved every song. EVERYONE us wants to substuite a song for another at one time. If you guys are going to sit here and say you wouldnt want to hear vapour trails or trickle down or some song you've hardly heard over its a good life or newo, then youre lying. I know that we are the MINORITY as a group that wants to hear some oldies, and im not saying EP or anything.. im talking PP tracks etc.
I love the hip more than anyone, but its like loving the leafs, when they lose or play bad we whine and bitch about them, when my favorite band plays the exact same songs in a predicable manner concert after concert , then i will voice my opinion. Why? because this is a fourm!
tth50mc
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tth50mc »

Here's my take on the show:

(This was my 12th Hip show... recently caught Canada Day at the Amphitheater, Memorial Aud in Rodchester on Oct 19th... now this one and really looking forward to NYE in Hamilton.)

This had to be the best lineup of songs i've ever heard from them. I thought this show rocked, my previous fav concert was IVL tour end hummingbird #2. Rodchester is also high on my list for live energy but the lineup of songs was not as good.

i was in the reds in section 109 and yes those cameras on booms were distracting my view (my seats were on the left side of the stage)... and early on especially were blocking my view of Paul. Later these booms were positioned high and behind them. Of course Gord is the hilight but i enjoy watching Paul and Robbie play too. those cameras were in my way of seeing Paul. Also on this side you can see how much effort Johnny puts into playing the drums and see the footwork he does on the drum set. seats were ok but i never got email from the hipclub so i had to resort to edge 102.1 presale. lots of ppl sitting down around me, i hate that and can't figure why if this is a presale section... these ppl are getting the advanced tickets and you'd figure they are psyched up but they sit down unless NOIS or Bones is playing. frustrating for me. not to mention some ass in the upper level was spilling beer on purpose on us below... even threw his cup down and hit 2 ladies in the row in front of me. pretty classless... they ended up leaving to clean up and came back.

Anyways it was awesome... music stands on it's own, took a friend who has never seen them before and he wants to come to NYE. So the live experience captured another fan. I thought the video screen behind was awesome and them coming out from behind with their shadows showing was ingenoius.

my 2 cents on everything ppl liking or not liking the playlist... i think cuz you can follow them and so much of their live stuff is available, ppl are disappointed. If they came around once every 2 years for one show you wouldn't complain. i think they've evolved as a band and they've become from a raw sound to a more polished/creative sound and want the fans to come along with them in the journey... but lots of ppl want to stick with the "tried and true". no doubt that works for lots of bands... go see and ac/dc show for instance. but this is the hip and i'm so happy they are coming out with a DVD... i goto best buy and every other group has a dvd and they are no where near as good live as the Hip.

I think it was a great show worthy of a DVD. Actually a good amount of songs on "Live Between Us" was played which means they have an idea what the fans want to hear.

For me i would have wanted "The Darkest One" included. I thought it was the best song on IVL and an awesome video. Lastly let me add that 50 Mission Cap should be on this setlist. It's like if they played a concert in Bobcaygeon and not play the song Bobcaygeon. I could count about 10 leafs/hip hockey jerseys with reference to 50 mission Cap or bill barilko in the crowd... heck his retired banner is hanging over center ice!! i think it woulda brought the house down... right after blow... darn!!

All and all it was a great show, best i've seen. I liked Gord's line that went something like this... "it's a good life even if you keep breaking guitar strings"
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

[quote="tth50mc"]

. Lastly let me add that 50 Mission Cap should be on this setlist. It's like if they played a concert in Bobcaygeon and not play the song Bobcaygeon. I could count about 10 leafs/hip hockey jerseys with reference to 50 mission Cap or bill barilko in the crowd... heck his retired banner is hanging over center ice!! i think it woulda brought the house down... right after blow... darn!!

I agree.. that song at that time would have KILLED!!

Is it just me or are we all in agreement about the lack of 50mc?
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

Hi all,

Damn... I knew I should have tried to visit the Hipbase before the show. So many Hipbasers at the show - and I didn't know there were any meet-ups planned or where everyone was sitting... and I didn't get to meet anyone.

My wife, her bro and I skipped out on Thanksgiving and drove up to Toronto from Albany, NY Thursday morning (we made good with the fam with a gathering the night before).

We had a great time in Toronto... And the show was great. Sounds like we were right near you Chris. 10th row floor, on the end.

Seeing the Hip with SO many people was really an experience for us. This was my 17th show, and before that night, the most people we've been with at a Hip show couldn't have been any more that 1,200.

There is that point in Blow at the beginning, "...but I can get behind anything (pause) yea i can get behind anything..." At that pause, I knew they turn the lights up to make the big impact when they really get into the song. I turned around to check out the crowd... WOW. It was just amazing. From 900 people at Northern Lights in Clifton Park to - what - 16,000 at the ACC? Too cool.

I was thinking they would play 50 MC... Well maybe hoping they would play it. Seeing the cool display of Barilko's stick at Gretzky's the night before and all the great stuff at the Hall of Fame probably had me hoping.

Great show, great time in Toronto - can't wait to see it again...

I posted up my not so great pics:

http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/to/

Jerremy
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

gratts99 wrote:
tth50mc wrote:Lastly let me add that 50 Mission Cap should be on this setlist. It's like if they played a concert in Bobcaygeon and not play the song Bobcaygeon. I could count about 10 leafs/hip hockey jerseys with reference to 50 mission Cap or bill barilko in the crowd... heck his retired banner is hanging over center ice!! i think it woulda brought the house down... right after blow... darn!!
I agree.. that song at that time would have KILLED!!

Is it just me or are we all in agreement about the lack of 50mc?
OK, I can personally agree that I wish 50MC was played... but for me it is a minor quibble. I think the issue is that you are making too big a deal out of it, considering how excellent the show was.

Not trying to flame you or anything, just my $0.02
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

jerremy wrote:Seeing the Hip with SO many people was really an experience for us. This was my 17th show, and before that night, the most people we've been with at a Hip show couldn't have been any more that 1,200.

There is that point in Blow at the beginning, "...but I can get behind anything (pause) yea i can get behind anything..." At that pause, I knew they turn the lights up to make the big impact when they really get into the song. I turned around to check out the crowd... WOW. It was just amazing. From 900 people at Northern Lights in Clifton Park to - what - 16,000 at the ACC? Too cool.
It's awesome to hear the perspective of an American in Canada - the same as a Canadian heading to the States to see the band, except the complete opposite.

I can't put my thoughts into words for some reason, but I hope everyone gets my point.

Bummer we didn't meet up.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

chris wrote:
jerremy wrote:Seeing the Hip with SO many people was really an experience for us. This was my 17th show, and before that night, the most people we've been with at a Hip show couldn't have been any more that 1,200.

It's awesome to hear the perspective of an American in Canada - the same as a Canadian heading to the States to see the band, except the complete opposite.

I can't put my thoughts into words for some reason, but I hope everyone gets my point.

Bummer we didn't meet up.
Yup, I was thinking that was pretty cool as well.

I just caught my 18th show in Calgary last Friday, and all of them except one have been the big Canadian crowds. I drove to Aspen in 98 to see the Hip and it was just spectacular. Not only was it a great venue, a natural amphitheater at the base of a mountain, but to able to dance around or get to the front row no probelm, and be amongst maybe only 2000-2500 people was such a thrill. The best part for me was watching the crowd, who for the most part had no idea who the Hip were, and see them get totally swept up into the Hip wave. There were many teary eyed moments as I watched a bunch of non-fans "get" my band.
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Hey...tth50mc...great perspective, and welcome to the 'base! :thumb:

I also have to say that you have one of, if not the coolest avatars I've seen on any board. That's freakin' awesome! 8)

~Scott
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

My friend whom is not really a 'Hip fan' and had never seen them till last night said it best...She said "Eric, I don't even think it matters if you like the Hip or not, anybody who likes rock n' roll would have liked that concert.'
Obviously you love it more if you can scream the lyrics, but they play together so tight, Gord puts on such a show, that's its impossible not to dance around (completely sober) and feel the energy from everyone else and just get right into it...Different everytime, but unbelievable, every time.
A few notes.
As for 50 MC, did anyone see before the HIp hit the stage they had the sport light in the rafters on Barilko's #5 Banner?... I thought it was a sign.
Silver Jet and Makeshift, and SIKU for that matter, I thought were ordinary. Not bad. Just ordinary. What stood out for me were Poets, Nautical and Boots...And while I thought it was just a solid performance, not great, it was the first time I saw 3 Pistols, and it made my night.

That's it, Can't wait to relive it on the DVD.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

jerremy wrote:Hi all,

Damn... I knew I should have tried to visit the Hipbase before the show. So many Hipbasers at the show - and I didn't know there were any meet-ups planned or where everyone was sitting... and I didn't get to meet anyone.

My wife, her bro and I skipped out on Thanksgiving and drove up to Toronto from Albany, NY Thursday morning (we made good with the fam with a gathering the night before).

We had a great time in Toronto... And the show was great. Sounds like we were right near you Chris. 10th row floor, on the end.

Seeing the Hip with SO many people was really an experience for us. This was my 17th show, and before that night, the most people we've been with at a Hip show couldn't have been any more that 1,200.

I was thinking they would play 50 MC... Well maybe hoping they would play it. Seeing the cool display of Barilko's stick at Gretzky's the night before and all the great stuff at the Hall of Fame probably had me hoping.

Great show, great time in Toronto - can't wait to see it again...

I posted up my not so great pics:

http://www.thehundredthmeridian.com/to/

Jerremy
That was you? i thought i recognized you. i saw somebody taking a picture of you and somebody else before the show started. i was in section 108 and i knew i recognized you from somewhere.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

scottitude wrote:
Some Whiners wrote:...the show sucked or was just 'okay' (basically)
Some [i]Other [/i]Whiners wrote:...the setlist blew or could have been a lot better...we deserve better/older/more obscure tunes (basically)
a Couple of Whiners wrote:...'It's a Good Life' is an energy-killer.
The [i]Real [/i]Hip-Fans wrote:The show was great...the band was tight...the setlist was a little bit of everything, even without 50 MC...'It's a Good Life' was powerful, way better live than on the CD...the only "bad" thing was all the drunken people passing out onto sober people and puking all over the place...etc.
direwolf74 (one of the [i]real [/i]Hip-fans) wrote:...So let me get this straight: You were at a sold-out ACC during filming of the Hip's first ever live DVD and you're complaining??? I don't get it. I would have stabbed my own mother with a sewing needle to have been there tonight, even if it was a greatest hits show.
Depending on whose post you read, it looks like there were two different shows at the ACC last night.! I totally agree with direwolf74, I'd have committed any number of heinous acts to be at that show, just to be there, regardless of what was played, and I would have appreciated every subtle nuance of the performance. And I would have been stone-cold sober.

If people want to go to a Hip show, get plowed, jump around like a wannbe Gord (hoping for some 'screen time') and pray for older, less-likely to be played tunes so they can scream every lyric (to prove their dedication), they should just stay the F*** home! I'm serious, if so many people are so dissatisfied with the setlist, show, how much money they've spent over the years, or whatever, why do you keep going?

Perhaps you're the ones that are ruining the shows for the real fans and the "new" fans and the band is sick and tired seeing your drunk, unappreciative flag-cape wearing asses at very show so they're actively seeking to keep you away.

Before the flaming starts, I'm not accusing everyone who was less than thrilled with the show of being a stumbling-puking-drunk; I'm just saying that of the two contigents (lousy show / great show) represented here, I'm inclined to believe that those who enjoyed, appreciated, and understood the value of last night's performance were less inebriated than those who found it completely lacking.

I don't give a rat's ass about the setlist; every time they play a song it's different than the last time they played it. Rob even said it during the Edge interview, Killerwhaletank and Double Suicide just happened; they were a one-time thing, and no matter how many fans scream for them, they can not be reproduced. I think the real fans realize this, and that's what keeps us interested and appreciative.

~Scott
Wow, great post! I agree cent pourcent!
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

scottitude wrote:
Some Whiners wrote:...the show sucked or was just 'okay' (basically)
Some [i]Other [/i]Whiners wrote:...the setlist blew or could have been a lot better...we deserve better/older/more obscure tunes (basically)
a Couple of Whiners wrote:...'It's a Good Life' is an energy-killer.
The [i]Real [/i]Hip-Fans wrote:The show was great...the band was tight...the setlist was a little bit of everything, even without 50 MC...'It's a Good Life' was powerful, way better live than on the CD...the only "bad" thing was all the drunken people passing out onto sober people and puking all over the place...etc.
direwolf74 (one of the [i]real [/i]Hip-fans) wrote:...So let me get this straight: You were at a sold-out ACC during filming of the Hip's first ever live DVD and you're complaining??? I don't get it. I would have stabbed my own mother with a sewing needle to have been there tonight, even if it was a greatest hits show.
Depending on whose post you read, it looks like there were two different shows at the ACC last night.! I totally agree with direwolf74, I'd have committed any number of heinous acts to be at that show, just to be there, regardless of what was played, and I would have appreciated every subtle nuance of the performance. And I would have been stone-cold sober.

If people want to go to a Hip show, get plowed, jump around like a wannbe Gord (hoping for some 'screen time') and pray for older, less-likely to be played tunes so they can scream every lyric (to prove their dedication), they should just stay the F*** home! I'm serious, if so many people are so dissatisfied with the setlist, show, how much money they've spent over the years, or whatever, why do you keep going?

Perhaps you're the ones that are ruining the shows for the real fans and the "new" fans and the band is sick and tired seeing your drunk, unappreciative flag-cape wearing asses at very show so they're actively seeking to keep you away.

Before the flaming starts, I'm not accusing everyone who was less than thrilled with the show of being a stumbling-puking-drunk; I'm just saying that of the two contigents (lousy show / great show) represented here, I'm inclined to believe that those who enjoyed, appreciated, and understood the value of last night's performance were less inebriated than those who found it completely lacking.

I don't give a rat's ass about the setlist; every time they play a song it's different than the last time they played it. Rob even said it during the Edge interview, Killerwhaletank and Double Suicide just happened; they were a one-time thing, and no matter how many fans scream for them, they can not be reproduced. I think the real fans realize this, and that's what keeps us interested and appreciative.

~Scott
Wow, great post! I agree cent pourcent!
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

j-monster wrote: All I can say about that girl is, what an asshat! :lol:
I love that word - asshat - funny stuff!
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

What a show! One of the best I have seen in my time. I think everybody here pretty much summed up what a night it was. It will feel like an eternity until the DVD is out.

I loved Gord ducking down during Blow and then jumping up in the air about 5 times. Also, jumping head first to recover the mic and petting the mic after "saving" it. I was really hoping for Fully, Springtime, Makeshift, Poets, and Pistols. Got them all. I was also hoping for Fire, Long Time Running, Wheat Kings, and 50 MC, but oh well, can't win em all! Boots or Hearts was incredible. Also, while I am not the biggest Good Life fan, this time was just awesome. "It's a GOOD life if you don't break too many guitar strings...and it's a PRETTY GOOD life if you do." Great line. Nautical was great! I love when Gord starts paddling around on stage. The video background was really cool, especially their shadows before coming on stage. This DVD will be SO worth it, even if I have to drive to Canada to get the thing.

Talking to Sinclair before the show I asked him if the whole show would be put on the DVD or if they would select songs and cut some. He said that it was all about the sound. They would be willing to cut if something didn't sound they way they liked. However, he said that they have been playing really well together recently. It didn't sound like he was worried about that at all. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include the WHOLE show!

The nice thing about the 2nd row is that I had no obstructed views from those big cameras, and I didn't notice any of the drunks. Everyone was great around me! I did notice a few people leave for beer and not return for about 4 or 5 songs. For me that is just too much Gord to miss! I stuck to bottled water and enjoyed the show just fine.

I also got to meet fellow hipbaser's GOTCHA and HIP during the show.

Good times.
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

ikky99 wrote:
j-monster wrote: All I can say about that girl is, what an asshat! :lol:
I love that word - asshat - funny stuff!
I believe I've said this elsewhere in the forum... but thank you, use the word with pride! :lol: :thumb: