2004-11-26 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

I don't know if I'm a "real fan" or not on the basis of the above generalizations about what you're allowed to observe about a concert, but these are a couple of observations from last night:

Show was basically up to the fantastic hip standard, with more than enough goodness for all. The Greatest Hits treatment for the DVD was warranted, as was the group hug at the end of the night and the "same tragically hip thing" ending to Blow (although, interestingly, no "said I'm tragically hip" in Grace).

Silver Jet was terrible ... terrible ... terrible ... Gord had no idea what words he was supposed to be singing and when. The music drowned out everything including the musicalness and the crowd went ... flop.

Makeshit had the same effect -- too bad though, because the rendition was pretty good. They came back and saved it with Courage (watch the band follow the unknown with something more familiar).

The Gift Shop/Springtime back to back was strange to hear in the encore. My opinion: they should've gone Gift Shop and then either Scared or Wheat Kings, cause the slow balladeering was lacking (they did Good Life ... but ... well, it's Good Life, and it's just not that great a song live. No offence to people who get offended by such statements).

The closers ... NOIS (I take it all back what I've said earlier), Little Bones, Three Pistols, and Blow ... AMAZING!

Gord was nuts in the first 2/3 of the show and then seemed to slow down towards the end. He seemed to be very appreciative of the crowd though -- hopefully not just because he was being filmed.

Vaccination Scar's not a great opener ... but following it up with FC and Grace was solid stuff. I think they should designate Grace as the all-time opener. Bobcaygeon was the tip of the hat to the T.O. crowd, but it was still surprising not to hear 50 MC ... it looked like they were testing the spotlight on the Barilko banner before the show, so I though fer sure they were gonna close with it.

My fourteenth show -- It was up there.

CT
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Great insight, everyone! I think Chris is on to something: expectations or lack thereof make all the difference in the world. I just know from my own personal experiences, when I stopped excessive dopin' and drinkin', every show (Hip & otherwise) seemd more vibrant and memorable.

I think I'm beginning to get it! :thumb:

~Scott
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

it was still surprising not to hear 50 MC ... it looked like they were testing the spotlight on the Barilko banner before the show, so I though fer sure they were gonna close with it.
I mentioned to Chris immediately following the show that I would have loved to have seen "the boys" setlist to see if 50 MC was actually on there. I thought for sure they were going to go Boots, Blow, 50 MC but I bet that once the boys saw how fantastic everyone reacted to Blow, they probably said screw it, we can't top that so let's not even try. Hence the extra little jam at the end of Blow and the group hug at the end!
joanie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by joanie »

I thought it was a great show. I was in the 300s and, despite that, had a blast. Even the drunk jocks were awesome - it's amazing how the fifty or so people closest to you can affect your enjoyment of a live performance.

I agree with what was said about Silver Jet - terrible - but I'm not a fan of it even in the best of times, so I thought maybe that was just my own bias. I don't think Gift Shop was great either.

Great wrap up to the show. I thought GD was having fun, though at the beginning it felt like they were thinking too hard about being filmed. Of course, maybe it was just me thinking about the DVD and them thinking about the DVD rather than actually them thinking about the DVD. (Read that sentence again; I won't re-write it :wink: ).

Thanks to those of you who made last night great.
Kolcun
New Maybe
New Maybe

Who's for the Dark Canuck?

Post by Kolcun »

Just to get back to something for a sec...

I see the obvious stupidity in getting loaded to the point of sickness or unconsciousness at a show. I just want to make clear that I don't think there's a problem with having a few drinks to enjoy yourself.

I've been to Hip shows sober, and a few more a little tipsy. Both were amazing. I'd like to think I've never caused anyone problems, and I'd never want to ruin anyone's show. Every song is awesome no matter what – so who cares what the set list is? I KNOW the boys are going to deliver, regardless.

We've all been in a crowd with the drunk retards who like to charge the stage three or four songs in, blasting aside those who've stood there for hours (and through sometimes dreadful openers). However, I'm out here to say that just because you see someone with a beer in hand (or doob, if so inclined) doesn't mean that we need to categorize them as some drunk, frat-boy, "flag-cape wearing" asshole.

I would hate to think that standing in a crowd, dancing it up like the stupid fool I am, and having you see me, would bring down your show experience. It's not my goal, and we're all out there to have a good time.

I hope everyone enjoyed this show at the fullest, and I can't wait to see you all at the next. I'll grab a beer for ya. :thumb:
jonprice34
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jonprice34 »

Last night was Hip show # 33 or some thing like that for me and I have to say I still enjoy it and each show is a unique experience. That being said I was not surprised by the setlist, but I guess that is what happens when you check the setlist everyday and expect the "greatest hits".
Personally I would have made a few changes to the setlist add Locked,Cordelia, and Josephine take out Springtime, Giftshop and Bobcageon (I know it had to be played it was Toronto after all) But I think everyone would have there own personal favourite setlist. By now they could play 3 Evening with concerts and still not play everything that all the hardcore fans wanted to hear. At least they still tour and play their hearts very regularly.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Here are some screen captures from my video:
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

sounds like another great hip show

hey chris

that last screen shot of gord with the gun to paul is great

it is now my desk top background
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

chris wrote:Here are some screen captures from my video:
Nice!
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Great pic of gord pulling the trigger. He did the same thing in Philly and I wish I would have captured it.....thanks
jkdiamond
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jkdiamond »

I just want to make something clear from my post earlier. I have no problem with drunk people at the show, I was drunk from the drinks I had with people from work before hand, I sobered up in time for the the hip to come on.

But being drunk to the point where you plow over my girlfriend, and still somehow manage to elicit sympathy from her, and hoping that your stupid drunken ass is ok, is not fine by me.

First time I've been damn near close to dropping my knee on someones head at a concert, because that kind of alchohol and drug abuse is simply disgusting, and if you are going to do that stay the hell home, and let the fans enjoy what was otherwise an amazing concert.

At least I will get to relive NOIS once the DVD comes out, seeing as how i missed all of it making sure my gf was ok, and trying to stop the guy from falling on his head. :x.

And for the setlist bashers, do you expect to hear Get back again every time you go to a show. You know generally what the hip are going to be playing, just because they are in Toronto do you expect something different. NO! So enjoy the fact we get to see the hip 3 or 4 times as year, and each time they are here they give us their all and put on a consistently fabulous performance. Would it be nice to see those gems we rarely to never hear, sure it would. Should not hearing them take away from the show, No it shouldn't.
schrumby
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by schrumby »

Okay, what a show! It's been forever since I saw the hip in concert (1991'ish in Kingston, outdoor benefit concert with the Headstones opening).

Went with my wife who has never seen the hip, she loved the concert too. Wow, what energy! I forgot just how energetic their shows were. Just looking into the crowd gives you that tingly feeling.

Gord getting mad at the mike when it fell, priceless.. "Where the f@#k do you think you're going?" hahaha.

The toronto skyline background after mentioning Toronto in the song, what an amazing touch, kinda takes your breath away for a second, adding to an already amazing performance of the song.

Chris, please put the DVD up! I didn't have amazing seats so I'd love to re-live the performance again, looks like you got some good shots. It would in no way affect my decision to buy a retail DVD. I'd buy the dvd, download a livedownloads.com version, anything to get more of that concert :D

Ok i've rambled on enough... just can't stop thinking about the concert... it's making me pull out all my hip cd's again and remembering some old gems even ones that weren't played.
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Awesome screen-caps, Chris! Great job, as always. :thumb: I'm looking forward to the torrent and to the official commercial release from the band.

Odds are, it won't open with a shot of Rob at the lap steel... :wink:

~Scott
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
jay stains

Post by jay stains »

no 50 mission....no special song other that boots(awesome by the way)...whats up with that? other than that an excellent show(from what i recall) not really any complaints. met gord s. and robby at the edge studios before the show...they are such awesome dudes, and they signed me an autograpth that says: "to the only coconut cream fan." they talked for a bit to the crowd, and individually... got wind of the dvd project, gord says fighter fighter will be on the website soon, and probably an american tour after the new year begins and possibly another canadian tour. the only disappointing thing i heard from them was that...coconut cream is a long shot to be played ever again, even thought gord said he used to love playing it...damn.
Gotcha
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Gotcha »

All I gotta say is that,

The show was simply spectacular, of the past 5 shows ive seen this summer spring that one was the best. Sounded good, crowd was great, seats were great, beer was expensive but who cares when your goign to see TTH.

10/10!

p.s. what was with gordie almost falling off stage during Blow? lol what a funny guy!