2004-11-26 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Center

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thompsongirl21
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thompsongirl21 »

I knew I shouldn't have gotten on here to read the posts. I had to miss my fourth row ticket to the show for a "family vacation". Its good to see that everyone had a good time though. Hope to see everybody in Hamilton. Thank you for the pictures.
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

My take on the whole night... it was a solid show, but average (well, average for a Hip show)...

I was really wanting to be blown away by the show, y'know, since they were filming the DVD and all, but I think they just played it safe. It didn't feel like the crowd was really into it until almost towards the end of the main set, and the band took a little while to get warmed up, too... Although the jam at the end of Grace was amazing....

Surprised not to hear Josephine or Everywhere. Hoping for them tonight!

The crowd LOVED boots. The whole building was dancing.

Good show... but I wasn't blown away. Should they release it on DVD? Sure, because I think we need a Hip DVD.... but I don't think this was any sort of legendary show that people are going to be clamoring for... just my opinion... and I've been wrong before!
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

[quote="gratts99"]
Its a good life takes the energy away from the crowd in my view... being there while filming the dvd was good and gords energy was great, but after 10+ shows.. i need to hear something i have not heard before[/quote]

I agree that it's always nice to be suprised by something new, but if you've seen 10+ shows, don't you think it's a little bit unreasonable to expect that you'll hear something you haven't heard before?
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

Wow. Just... wow. This was my fourth time seeing the Hip live, and I know some people have said that the show was OK and not the best, but I agree more with those who said the show was amazing. I thought the boys did an awesome job! I went with two people who had never seen the Hip live before (imagine that, eh?). They both told me that this show far exceeded any expectations they had... they were that blown away by their performance. Lots of highlights... but when they sang Bobcaygeon and got to the line "That night in Toronto...", and they flashed to the Toronto skyline and they flashed the lights on the crowd... well it sent chills up my spine! I'm glad they played so many of their big songs, and I also loved It's A Good Life... it is a good song on IVL, but the live version is much more awesome... so powerful!

Great concert, can't wait until the next time I see them live, and if they release the DVD I will definitely buy it... thanks Hip!! :thumb:
Last edited by j-monster on Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

chris wrote:Now I'm at a crossroads; should I release my recording, knowing that The Hip are planning on releasing it? If they didn't want fans to film the show, they wouldn't have let recording equipment in. Ricky Wellington walked by me at least 15 times (you'll see his head block the shot a few times) and never said anything other than to give mansized and I thumbs-up and a smile/nod for our matching World Cup Team Canada jerseys.

I'd appreciate any input.
My opinion is if they didn't want anyone filming it, they would've most assuredly and distinctly prohibited cams from entering the venue. I must say I'm kinda surprised they didn't, but since cams were allowed, I see no problem whatsoever in releasing your recording.

P.S. Thanks for the VS clip! :thumb:
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

I have issues with security at the ACC... smoke all the pot and drink all the beer you want -- but if you start dancing in the aisles, you better watch out. The ushers do have a job to do, but the one in our section just seemed like she was getting off on being a hard ass (while the dude at the entrance to it up top was relaxed and polite)

Looking back on the show, I thought the drum kit was going to explode at the end of Little Bones. There was also some singing at the end of Bobcaygeon. I couldn't make out the words, but the tune of it was very similar to recent ones (and by recent, I mean the Canada Day show).

I can easilly get tired of Poets, but I'll never get tired of "bring out your dead"

Cheers

Pat
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

It's too bad they weren't filming the Calgary show for the DVD because something was on that night.
bomber18
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bomber18 »

You guys are so certain of this DVD eh? Even if there is, it may just be a compilation of songs from different events or not even the Toronto show
Kolcun
New Maybe
New Maybe

what a night

Post by Kolcun »

three encores. :what

what a show. great times.
mmilberg
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mmilberg »

bomber18 wrote:You guys are so certain of this DVD eh? Even if there is, it may just be a compilation of songs from different events or not even the Toronto show
The band has been asked 3 times now if they were going to be filming a DVD, and each time they said, "Yes: in Toronto at the ACC show."

Upon entry to the venue it was impossible not to see large posters stating that the concert was being filmed and that by entering the venue we waived our right to withhold our permission to appear in a forthcoming DVD.

There were 2 large and expensive crane cameras on stage: the ONLY time you ever see those crane cameras is when a DVD is being filmed.

They have also stated explicitly (I can'tremember when:check the interview at the Edge thread from yesterday) that they do not intend to use footage from any of the other shows on the tour.
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Some Whiners wrote:...the show sucked or was just 'okay' (basically)
Some [i]Other [/i]Whiners wrote:...the setlist blew or could have been a lot better...we deserve better/older/more obscure tunes (basically)
a Couple of Whiners wrote:...'It's a Good Life' is an energy-killer.
The [i]Real [/i]Hip-Fans wrote:The show was great...the band was tight...the setlist was a little bit of everything, even without 50 MC...'It's a Good Life' was powerful, way better live than on the CD...the only "bad" thing was all the drunken people passing out onto sober people and puking all over the place...etc.
direwolf74 (one of the [i]real [/i]Hip-fans) wrote:...So let me get this straight: You were at a sold-out ACC during filming of the Hip's first ever live DVD and you're complaining??? I don't get it. I would have stabbed my own mother with a sewing needle to have been there tonight, even if it was a greatest hits show.
Depending on whose post you read, it looks like there were two different shows at the ACC last night.! I totally agree with direwolf74, I'd have committed any number of heinous acts to be at that show, just to be there, regardless of what was played, and I would have appreciated every subtle nuance of the performance. And I would have been stone-cold sober.

If people want to go to a Hip show, get plowed, jump around like a wannbe Gord (hoping for some 'screen time') and pray for older, less-likely to be played tunes so they can scream every lyric (to prove their dedication), they should just stay the F*** home! I'm serious, if so many people are so dissatisfied with the setlist, show, how much money they've spent over the years, or whatever, why do you keep going?

Perhaps you're the ones that are ruining the shows for the real fans and the "new" fans and the band is sick and tired seeing your drunk, unappreciative flag-cape wearing asses at very show so they're actively seeking to keep you away.

Before the flaming starts, I'm not accusing everyone who was less than thrilled with the show of being a stumbling-puking-drunk; I'm just saying that of the two contigents (lousy show / great show) represented here, I'm inclined to believe that those who enjoyed, appreciated, and understood the value of last night's performance were less inebriated than those who found it completely lacking.

I don't give a rat's ass about the setlist; every time they play a song it's different than the last time they played it. Rob even said it during the Edge interview, Killerwhaletank and Double Suicide just happened; they were a one-time thing, and no matter how many fans scream for them, they can not be reproduced. I think the real fans realize this, and that's what keeps us interested and appreciative.

~Scott
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

After quoting a bunch of things that other people wrote, scottitude wrote:Depending on whose post you read, it looks like there were two different shows at the ACC last night.! I totally agree with direwolf74, I'd have committed any number of heinous acts to be at that show, just to be there, regardless of what was played, and I would have appreciated every subtle nuance of the performance. And I would have been stone-cold sober.

If people want to go to a Hip show, get plowed, jump around like a wannbe Gord (hoping for some 'screen time') and pray for older, less-likely to be played tunes so they can scream every lyric (to prove their dedication), they should just stay the F*** home! I'm serious, if so many people are so dissatisfied with the setlist, show, how much money they've spent over the years, or whatever, why do you keep going?

Perhaps you're the ones that are ruining the shows for the real fans and the "new" fans and the band is sick and tired seeing your drunk, unappreciative flag-cape wearing asses at very show so they're actively seeking to keep you away.

Before the flaming starts, I'm not accusing everyone who was less than thrilled with the show of being a stumbling-puking-drunk; I'm just saying that of the two contigents (lousy show / great show) represented here, I'm inclined to believe that those who enjoyed, appreciated, and understood the value of last night's performance were less inebriated than those who found it completely lacking.

I don't give a rat's ass about the setlist; every time they play a song it's different than the last time they played it. Rob even said it during the Edge interview, Killerwhaletank and Double Suicide just happened; they were a one-time thing, and no matter how many fans scream for them, they can not be reproduced. I think the real fans realize this, and that's what keeps us interested and appreciative.

~Scott
I'm not sure if the underappreciative folks were more inebriated or not, (at lasts nights concert, it's very possible) but I think that a lot of fans get their hopes up, and create an image/dream idea of what the show should be for them. No matter what gets played, or what goes on on the stage, or in the crowd around them, they're going to be disappointed.

Furthermore, if we only got to see this band once every 4 years, rather than multiple times per year, I doubt that we'd hear any complaints.

We're lucky to have such a great band that's willing/wanting to go out there and give it their all, night after night, for the fans.

And besides, there is so much more to a great concert experience than what songs were played. Last nights concert experience started days before I made it to the ACC last night. Phone calls, email, Hipbase posts, etc... all discussing the big night. And then the culmination of all the planning landed us in the heart of the crowd, at a concert by rock and roll legends, and all around great guys, and our favourite band, The Tragically Hip. To top it all off, they played 24 songs spanning their catalogue, and entertained a crowd of 16,000 people for 2 hours.

I'm still on a high that's sure to last through the weekend, and will be reignited every time I watch my DVD, or the soon to be released Official version.

(More than my two cents, but less than a dollar's worth.)
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

After quoting a bunch of things that other people wrote, scottitude wrote:
Depending on whose post you read, it looks like there were two different shows at the ACC last night.! I totally agree with direwolf74, I'd have committed any number of heinous acts to be at that show, just to be there, regardless of what was played, and I would have appreciated every subtle nuance of the performance. And I would have been stone-cold sober.

~Scott

I'm not sure if the underappreciative folks were more inebriated or not, (at lasts nights concert, it's very possible) but I think that a lot of fans get their hopes up, and create an image/dream idea of what the show should be for them. No matter what gets played, or what goes on on the stage, or in the crowd around them, they're going to be disappointed.

Furthermore, if we only got to see this band once every 4 years, rather than multiple times per year, I doubt that we'd hear any complaints.

We're lucky to have such a great band that's willing/wanting to go out there and give it their all, night after night, for the fans.

And besides, there is so much more to a great concert experience than what songs were played. Last nights concert experience started days before I made it to the ACC last night. Phone calls, email, Hipbase posts, etc... all discussing the big night. And then the culmination of all the planning landed us in the heart of the crowd, at a concert by rock and roll legends, and all around great guys, and our favourite band, The Tragically Hip. To top it all off, they played 24 songs spanning their catalogue, and entertained a crowd of 16,000 people for 2 hours.

I'm still on a high that's sure to last through the weekend, and will be reignited every time I watch my DVD, or the soon to be released Official version.

(More than my two cents, but less than a dollar's worth.)

I can honestly say that it was well worth the money!! Going with two people that had never seen them live, you get to appreciate just want this band can do and has done in their 19 years of existence. I agree that I would have loved to have heard 50 or LTR or any other obscure piece of music that the band has written that I don't get to hear very often - but I can't dwell on what didn't happen. I thank my lucky stars every time I have the opportunity to see my idols live because I really don't know how much longer they will be doing this. And going into last night's show, I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into. We WEREN'T going to hear EP or Cordelia or whatever the band doesn't play that often. We WERE going to hear the best damn rock 'n roll band whip through 24 songs with relative ease and put on 1 amazing show! And it was TRULY amazing!

I took just over 200 pictures - lots of them are good, some of them are blah. The digital zoom did a good job in some instances, but for the most part, things are a little grainy. I will post them soon for all to see and more than likely they will be on Chris's DVD as well.

To all the wonderful people that helped make last night's show so wonderful (including the Basers that I was fortunate enough to meet), I thank you for not only making my girlfriend's first live Hip show so memorable, but making my night as well!
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

Well said, Scott & Chris.

I talked about this with the people I took to the show, they agreed that it's stupid to get totally loaded before the show, because you could ruin it for others, not to mention barely remember it yourself which is a terrible waste right there. We were talking about this as we saw some girl who looked barely of age stumble around after JPE finished their set... even then the security guard in our area (we were section 101, row C... as close to the floor as you can get without being on the floor) told us she wouldn't last 15 minutes into the Hip show. You know what, I think he was right! All I can say about that girl is, what an asshat! :lol:
skippy the wonder dog
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by skippy the wonder dog »

chris wrote:I think that a lot of fans get their hopes up, and create an image/dream idea of what the show should be for them. No matter what gets played, or what goes on on the stage, or in the crowd around them, they're going to be disappointed.
Bingo. It's all about your expectations. Your expectations are the one thing that'll always ruin it for you.