2004-11-15 - Kelowna, BC - Prospera Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Just in case people are having problems, you can download the free codec DivX from here.

http://www.divx.com/divx/download/index.php
tough talkin' goalie
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by tough talkin' goalie »

vicariousmartyr wrote:Id love to hear what Long Time Running sounded like...was it fairly similar to the ablum version (slow and powerful, or did they somehow kick it up a notch)? Just by comparison, Boots was quite different than the album in that it wasnt acoustic (well, maybe Gord, cant remember). Point is that Boots was much more rockin than on the album. What was LTR like?
You'd swear it was ripped right from the album. Very true to the original. I couldn't believe it when they started that song, I was just stunned. That was one great surpirise. And it was amazing!! Gord was totally into it too. A few years ago I was at a show in Kamloops where they pulled "Boots or Hearts" out of the air for the first time in years, it wasn't even on the setlist, and that was pure magic. I never thought I'd be witness to a moment like that at another Hip concert, but, this ranks right up there. That tune is still buzzing around in my head. "I'll drop a caribou...I'll tell on you....I'll tell on you...I'll tell on youuuuuuuuu."
I thought the entire show rocked. There was a lull when they did "Membership", but, I love that tune, so I was still groovin. "Poets" was hot and got the crowd going. NOIS just simply kicked-ass, and "Scared" was a big fave with everyone, much to my surprise. All in all a very good show, made unforgettably memorable when they did "Long Time Running"
Now, I don't want to be selfish, so, I really hope they drag a little gem out of the bag for each of the upcoming shows, 'cause all true fans deserve a moment like that from the giftshop that is the Tragically Hip.
Ok, I can die now, I'm happy!
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

What an amazing show! enjoyed from second row.

As with everyone else, I was so pumped about Long Time Running! As well as with Scared and Membership.

Poets rocked really nicely and Gord's "Bring Out yer Dead!" was met with a loud cheer in the front sections, with Gord looking eagerly toward them for it.

Gord was so into Courage. Man. I thought he was going to explode at the end. And of course Hundredth kicked ass as usual. And I also really grooved on the slightly downtempo version of Fireworks. Very cool.

Just before the show, I was lucky enough to finally meet TLB, whose attire, appearance, and vid cam made me go over and see if it was him. Great to meet you Tony! And biga, if I woulda known that was you in the Purple and Gold (I have pieced it together now), I probably woulda came over and introduced myself. I have enjoyed some of your handiwork already.
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

WOW! Thanks biga... Gord sure looked in rare form for Little Bones! :thumb:

I'm so jacked to see them, the 26th seems so far away from now. :( Oh well, if the setlists are as good as the last two and the performance is anything like that clip, it will be well worth the wait! :jump :jump
hipfan39
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by hipfan39 »

Very NICE video clips, Biga!! : )
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Make sure you cheer for the new stuff. Put on IBE it rocks.
Get your local stations to play it, get people pumped on the new stuff!!!

Get prepared for a great show heading your way !!!!
swade
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by swade »

:jump
this review may be lengthy. some may like that, some may not. i was front row centre last night and the hip did not dissappoint. no matter how many times i listen to evolution, i just don't get what the fuss is all about. yes any hip song is a good song, but to say this is there best effort since henhouse( some reviews have stated this), is stretching it a bit don't you think. i'm writing in violet to pay hommage to the masterpiece from a year ago in which they did not bless us with one song in kelowna this monday evening. let's not forget the overlooked my music @ work disc. tiger, stay, lake fever, even the completists is more enjoyable than anything i here on IBE. and don't even get me started with phantom!however let me digress for i had the time of my life last night even with 8 new songs. btw has anybody noticed that the best track(imo) on IBE, (the heart of the melt), is not in thier rotation. that song really kicks some serious ass.
on to the show.
after the opener, music, grace, gus, abac...... wow!
the next great phase of the night was...
courage,MEMBERSHIP, nashville, poets.. thet was exhausting. if anyone reading this was there last night, i was the guy up front who couldn't keep his arms below his head. i dunno it's the way i dance god dammit!
the next great moment happened in the last 5 songs of the set...
100th, LTR, scar, vienna, and of course nois.
the long time running was a long time comin'. my first ever in countless shows. vienna had an edge last night that made it epic sounding, and they actually,FINALLY, took thier time on nois.(always one of my only beefs at a show is why do they hurry through there most famous song and taboot it's one of a few of thier tunes that you can strech to 7,8 or 9 minutes.

who new that such a slow tune like scared could be such a riveting encore song. but it was. perfect placement of that song. and giftshop to close the night left all the faithful very happy. for the bandwagoners who wanted a more familiar closing number, go see somebody else, the hip play what they want not what you want and what they want should be good enough for all us fans.
highlights - the shock of hearing LTR, MEMBERSHIP, SCARED and yes NOIS ( FOR THIER PATIENCE AND JAMMING FINALLY)
lowlights - the barley half full prospera place capacity 6,000 this can only mean that next tour they will not stop here. oh well looks like victoria is in for a treat next time. we've had 'em here 4 tour in a row so i can't complain. have to travel next time i guess
for now this is the dancin' fool saying..... ARE WE FAMILY? OR WHAT !
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

swade wrote: lowlights - the barley half full prospera place capacity 6,000 this can only mean that next tour they will not stop here. oh well looks like victoria is in for a treat next time. we've had 'em here 4 tour in a row so i can't complain. have to travel next time i guess
dude, the show in Kelowna was sold out.
Also, I think the guys love the Okanagan, so we might keep gettin' lucky
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

I wonder if "LongTime" is being trotted out as a prep for NYE? In 2002, Gord timed his "Well worth the wait!" bellows for exactly the point where the clock hit 12 and the balloons fell... could it be the same this year?
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

kelman66 wrote:
swade wrote: lowlights - the barley half full prospera place capacity 6,000 this can only mean that next tour they will not stop here. oh well looks like victoria is in for a treat next time. we've had 'em here 4 tour in a row so i can't complain. have to travel next time i guess
dude, the show in Kelowna was sold out.
Also, I think the guys love the Okanagan, so we might keep gettin' lucky
dude..i was there..it wasn't sold out..however it wasn't half empy either..i would say about 100-200 seats left unsold
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

opiated wrote: dude..i was there..it wasn't sold out..however it wasn't half empy either..i would say about 100-200 seats left unsold
Well, 100-200 unsold seats is a heck of a lot closer to a sellout than 1/2 capacity.
And on Monday, i thought the radio was saying it was sold out.
And also on monday, Prospera Place's website said all the floor and bleacher seats were sold....I guess there might be other types of seats that were still available? skyboxes? wheelchair? standing?

pretty wicked show though.
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

The place looked pretty packed that night but strangely enough we saw people buying Row 4 and Row 9 on the floor at the box office before the show.

BigA had a ton of trouble trying to sell his extras 2-for-1.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Hi TLB, strange not going to that hip concert in Edmonton tonight!
I hope the two guys that got those FREE tickets enjoyed the show.
Last edited by bigA on Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

opiated wrote:one more thing about the show..i definately think there's a DVD on the horizon...the stage set up, the cameras's, the screens with some pretty cool "works of art" thru some of the songs...plus, all these tunes they're pulling out of the word work...boots, long time...i'm thinkin a cross country tour DVD is coming soon!!
I can see it on store shelves, "The Tragically Hip - Live Across The Nation!"

Keep the great reviews coming; I can't wait for Toronto on the 26th!