2004-11-14 - Vancouver, BC - GM Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-11-14 - Vancouver, BC - GM Place

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
oilfan93
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by oilfan93 »

Setlist - GM Place, Vancouver B.C. Nov. 14, 2004
Vaccination Scar
Grace, Too
Poets
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
Summer's Killing Us
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
Boots Or Hearts
Inevitability Of Death
Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
At The Hundredth Meridian
As Makeshift As We Are
Springtime In Vienna
Goodnight Josephine
My Music @ Work
New Orleans Is Sinking

1st Encore:
You're Everywhere
Ahead By A Century
Blow At High Dough

2nd Encore:
Fully, Completely
Heaven Is A Better Place Today
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

That looks like a great start to the Canadian tour. Can't wait for Friday and saturday. :thumb:
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Boots or Hearts is very interesting.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Yea it was a great show! Tons of energy from the boys and a really good mix of songs in the setlist. Shoutouts to other hipbasers - biga, mrs.biga, viciousmartyr, TLB (sorry I didn't get to say hey) and then Chad (are you on the hipbase?), Nick, Johnothan and Sara! Oh and also to Mike Myers' brother who sat right behind us...nice guy, he of Barenaked Ladies documentry fame (also I think he had a book on the band too).

Missed the first 4 or 5 songs of Joel and his band but the rest sounded pretty good and the crowd was polite for them. Would maybe see them when they come to town again, didn't feel like I should run, not walk, to buy their CD. On to the Hip!

Couple of things not already mentioned - the stage set up was really cool, quite a minimal stage but a screen behind the band that played clips from Cameron T (animated and half-animated)and just some generic stuff at other times. Also two giant projection screens on either side of the stage that had multiple angles from all over the stage. The show was being professionally recorded.

The crowd was really good (only one fight in our area where security had to step in) though there was some sitting down with the new songs in non-floor sections. All the lighters were cool between the main set and the 1st encore too!

The bands energy was great all the way though and the crowd really got going as the show went on and was killer by the end of the main set and the 1st encore.

Overall amazing and definately up there in the show list and to all Hip fans across the nation: you are in for a real treat when this tour hits your town! All for now, off to bed and to work tomorrow - what's with starting a tour on a Sunday night anyways. Either way it was great and I hope everyone else who was at the Vancouver show had as great a time! Goodnight.
Aaron
VioletlightHeron
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by VioletlightHeron »

Professionally recorded? Should we be keeping our fingers and toes crossed for a DVD?? :jump :jump
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Good show. Good, good show. Really....good.

Ok, it wasnt great. Just really good.

Joel Plaskett was/is garbage, I feel bold enough to say. Very forgettable. Sammy kicks there ass as far as openers go.

The real highlights for me were Grace (as always, its still their greatest live song, IMO) and Boots kicked ass! Really, Boots or Hearts was freakin amazing, Im soooo happy they played it. And they did it SO well.

Hate to say it, but the setlist is still just a little too 'safe'. Couldve really used a little something more. Meh...

But no doubt a high energy, impressive show. Pretty much kicked ass. I left feeling numb and confused (usually a good thing).
HandsInTheRiver41
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by HandsInTheRiver41 »

Wow, my first Hip show, and it was great. I was in the 6th row floor too so that was fun.

They played all the songs I wanted to hear, especially Grace Too, my favourite Hip song after tonight. Other highlights were 100th Meridian and NOIS because it was the first time I've heard it live although it was probably just standard.

And Gord was hilarious, like usual I guess. Pretending the stage was a boat, and then straddling the mic stand like a horse and pretending he was a cowboy.

Very fun and energetic show.
TTH: Vancouver 2004 | Victoria 2007 (x2) | Victoria 2009 (x2) | Solana Beach 2009 | Los Angeles 2009 | Victoria 2012 |
Portland, OR 2012 | Toronto #2 & #3 2016 || GD: Victoria 2010 | Montréal 2014
winjer
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by winjer »

Am I the only one who found IOD orgasmically good?
HandsInTheRiver41
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

winjer wrote:Am I the only one who found IOD orgasmically good?
no, I was really glad to hear that too

It was quite impressive live
TTH: Vancouver 2004 | Victoria 2007 (x2) | Victoria 2009 (x2) | Solana Beach 2009 | Los Angeles 2009 | Victoria 2012 |
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

Did y'all see the stage-wide screen behind Johnny?!?! (how could ya miss it)

LOVES IT! Can't get enuf of it! I hope to upload a clip for all to see, sometime later this week.

Great setlist, Springtime, IOD, and Boots all pleasant surprises.

What the heck is with Heaven as a closer? Great song but not a way to end a show (the last song is meant to leave the crowd wanting more - we all know how the passive fans these setlists are meant for just stand around during the new tunes - bummer way to walk out of an otherwise great show).
HandsInTheRiver41
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

TLB wrote: What the heck is with Heaven as a closer? Great song but not a way to end a show (the last song is meant to leave the crowd wanting more - we all know how the passive fans these setlists are meant for just stand around during the new tunes - bummer way to walk out of an otherwise great show).
yeah, no really, I found that kinda dissapointing
I thought Fully Completely would be the last song and was surprised when they closed with Heaven. I couldn't really get into that one. A lot of the IBE songs, I didn't like so much live, but I did enjoy Gus: the PB from CP a lot.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

TLB wrote:...I hope to upload a clip for all to see, sometime later this week...
I guess this means that getting video gear in wasn't a problem. :jump :lol:
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

Perhaps "Heaven" as a closer was put there for a reason. If this show was professionally recorded, for a DVD perhaps, maybe they wanted to end the show this way.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

i wouldn't get too excited for a DVD. if there were video screens on stage that were showing the band, then the cameras would have been for those. if they were recording for a DVD, one would presume they would have like 15 or 20 cameras to catch every single angle.