2004-11-14 - Vancouver, BC - GM Place

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Spycouple
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

footage

Post by Spycouple »

missed out on TLB's floor ticket, but found a pretty good vantage point from section 118...

http://www.karmafia.com/hip.html

note: you can download the clip (in MP4) from hundredthmeridian.com in order to avoid streaming issues

cheers,

jf
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Seeing all of this great footage is fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing some spectacular DVD's!
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

i saw it at my first show....how spoiled i am.
The Horrible Esthete wrote:Boots or Hearts?? :shock: Wow! 30+ shows and I've never seen that!
hefner
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by hefner »

vicariousmartyr wrote:Joel Plaskett was/is garbage, I feel bold enough to say. Very forgettable. Sammy kicks there ass as far as openers go.
I find it strange that anyone who enjoys the hip would find Joel Plaskett 'garbage'. I've been lucky enough to see Joel play several times - all the way back to his Thrush Hermit days, and the guy has never ceased to amaze the audiences I've been in. Seriously, who would you rather have had them pick for their opener? The hip have consistantly chosen hard working (and relatively independent) Canadian bands that deserve a chance. This goes double for Joel and his crew in my opinion.

If anyone skips this opening band because of your unflattering review, it would be a missed oppourtunity for a deserving Canadian band to possibly earn a fan.

If you're going to shit talk bands in your reviews you could at least elaborate on why they were so 'forgettable'.

hefner.
jonprice34
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by jonprice34 »

great video, thank for posting it
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

hefner wrote:
vicariousmartyr wrote:Joel Plaskett was/is garbage, I feel bold enough to say. Very forgettable. Sammy kicks there ass as far as openers go.
I find it strange that anyone who enjoys the hip would find Joel Plaskett 'garbage'. I've been lucky enough to see Joel play several times - all the way back to his Thrush Hermit days, and the guy has never ceased to amaze the audiences I've been in. Seriously, who would you rather have had them pick for their opener? The hip have consistantly chosen hard working (and relatively independent) Canadian bands that deserve a chance. This goes double for Joel and his crew in my opinion.

If anyone skips this opening band because of your unflattering review, it would be a missed oppourtunity for a deserving Canadian band to possibly earn a fan.

If you're going to shit talk bands in your reviews you could at least elaborate on why they were so 'forgettable'.

hefner.
He's entitled to his opinion and how much or little he feels the need to share regarding it.

I agree that if someone missed an opening act based on one dudes opinion, that would be too bad, but I'd put full blame on the individual missing the band rather than Vicariousmartyr. If a person doesn't want to do any critical thinking and decide for themselves if the band is "garbage", they're just plain lazy and/or stupid. I'm gonna go on the assumption that the people here that read his opinion aren't either of those.
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

hefner wrote:

hefner.
I said they were garbage because I thought they were. No ones gonna skip them just because I said it. If the general consensus is that they blow, however, then thats a different story. So far, no one has voiced any strong opinions, which is fine. But I still think they were very poor. He near put me to sleep.

Hard working they may be. But their music is still boring. Nickelback was at one point a 'hard-working' band, but they still sucked and continue to suck.
I find it strange that anyone who enjoys the hip would find Joel Plaskett 'garbage'
:scratch:
They were like diametrical opposites, as far as music goes. What, they're both Canadian?? Is that why I should like them? They created absolutely no energy, and thats what I look for more than anything in an opening live act.

Forgettable they were. This is my opinion.
Cobbaygeon
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Cobbaygeon »

Awesome show as usuall. Had 13th row seats 5 and 6. Awesome vantage point as well. 'Boots' and 'Springtime' were pleasant surprises. Never heard them in person before. Joel Plaskett was good too. Too bad I couldn't have gone to Kelowna :x Ah well. D&C thanks for the cookies. biga (and mrs.) thanks for Portland.
vicariousmartyr
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by vicariousmartyr »

Hey Cobb, thats crazy...I was Row 13, seat 3. You were sitting beside my friend in seat 4. The 3 guys with long hair.... :)

You were in Portland as well? Too bad I didnt know before hand...oh well, hope you enjoyed it all.
anesthesiologist
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by anesthesiologist »

Here's a nice little review from canoe. Seems both this one and the canada.com one pan the new album though.
http://jam.canoe.ca/JamConcertsR2Z/trag ... 4-sun.html
All for now,
Aaron
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

I'm surprised to see that Makeshift, Joe, and You're Everywhere were considered less impressive in the review. :scratch:

-Jenna
Cobbaygeon
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Cobbaygeon »

Hey vicariousmartyr. It was my wife next to your friend then, she was wearing the long sleeve black TTH shirt from 2002. Pretty good crowd around us eh? Didn't get the chance to go to Portland. Kids will sometime do that to you. :D Yes, we had a blast. I take it you guys did as well? Glad that we got two encores.
Cheers
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

HOLY CRAP-A-ROONEY I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I AM SEEING!

:jump :jump :jump

4 MORE DAYS TILL CALGARY!!!!!!!
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

WOW, I think the mic stand controls Gord.

(King of posting two in a row, sorry)
that's gonna be by new name, I think
hefner
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by hefner »

Billy wrote:
hefner wrote:

hefner.
He's entitled to his opinion and how much or little he feels the need to share regarding it.

I agree that if someone missed an opening act based on one dudes opinion, that would be too bad, but I'd put full blame on the individual missing the band rather than Vicariousmartyr. If a person doesn't want to do any critical thinking and decide for themselves if the band is "garbage", they're just plain lazy and/or stupid. I'm gonna go on the assumption that the people here that read his opinion aren't either of those.
All I ask is that if you're going to say a band is 'garbage' in the REVIEWS section, back it up.
Did the band stand there and look at thier feet the entire set? Could the drummer not keep a beat? Was the guitarist a hack?? I don't think its fair to just say they sucked without any explanation. But hey, that's just my opinion.

hef.