2004-12-31 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2004-12-31 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

happy new year.

the show was good. the band was tight. everyone except the die hard fans were entertained.
I predict this thread will turn into a "I hate that set"/"Stop complaining about sets" type deal....and, im not one to choose sides, but if you must know, I think its a shitty deal that the hip cant find the time to play a surprise tune for the die hard fans....but who can stay mad at em..not me..

Drink to you drop folks, this is love, aww drink till you drop. Happy New Year.
kcpr3
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Hmm.

Post by kcpr3 »

What is it with Johnny breaking his cymbals lately? And it looked like Gord had his low E hanging around during a song also..

Great tunes, great sound, good venue (Not a big fan of Hamilton though..)

Some of the fans decided that they should be heard above Gord, and the last time I checked the lyrics to Courage were not

Watch The Band Through a Dancer

(Repeat until song is over)

I was also not impressed with the guys that spilled beer on me, but other than that, it was amazing! I really enjoyed both opening acts, especially The Weakerthans. I was gonna buy a T Shirt, but at $35 and XXL it was a little crazy, so I bought the Watersaver T for $20, and gave the other $15 to the Red Cross for the Tsunami Fund.
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

just got on the computer in the ramada lobby, sitting through a fire alarm. party in room 222 once this is over. :thumb:
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

ok... setlist, from Gord D's list... it's authentic, not even a photocopy... awesome!

scar
grace
music
gus
bobc
nautical
summer
courage
makeshift
gift
abac
nashville
meridian
family
poets
new O
-- set list says this is the end of the main set, but the band didn't leave the stage, and just launched into what should've been the first encore, mentioning something about staying on time....

heaven
good life
bones
-----
copenhagen
boots
blow
------
wheat kings
fire in the hole...

Great show... loved seeing the band from up close (first row!)... so I'm kinda biased as to the show as a whole.... but it was all good fun. Gord was still battling the microphone & the microphone stand, by the mic got away, and Gord got mad at it... because the stand stayed behind.

The show was real quick, which tells me that it was a stellar show... saw a couple of videos being taped in the first few rows.... tried to show off my Hipbase t-shirt as best as I could up front!
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

aww man too late, i just got home but i would love to party with you guys.

The show was good. Anyone who complains about the setlist gets 15 Tool points. Nobody held a gun to your head to go see this band. If you feel the need to complain, don't buy a ticket next time.
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

great night but the weakerthans stole the show.
beanmedic wrote:aww man too late, i just got home but i would love to party with you guys.

The show was good. Anyone who complains about the setlist gets 15 Tool points. Nobody held a gun to your head to go see this band. If you feel the need to complain, don't buy a ticket next time.
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Cpt. Trips wrote:happy new year.

the show was good. the band was tight. everyone except the die hard fans were entertained.
I predict this thread will turn into a "I hate that set"/"Stop complaining about sets" type deal....and, im not one to choose sides, but if you must know, I think its a shitty deal that the hip cant find the time to play a surprise tune for the die hard fans....but who can stay mad at em..not me..

Drink to you drop folks, this is love, aww drink till you drop. Happy New Year.
Based upon your comment, I believe what you meant to say was that only the diehard fans were entertained, which would seem to indicate that only the more casual fans were left with a less than savory impression of the show. To support my position, I offer the following definitions from Dictionary.com:
  • die-hard also die•hard
    adj.
    Stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.
    n.
    One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.
  • fan2
    n.
    An ardent devotee; an enthusiast. Short for fanatic.
  • fa•nat•ic
    n.
    A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
  • ar•dent
    adj.
    Expressing or characterized by warmth of feeling; passionate.
As everyone can see, a diehard fan would have most likely relished the allegedly "shitty deal".

Nice recovery in the last sentence of your post, though.
beanmedic wrote:... The show was good. Anyone who complains about the setlist gets 15 Tool points. Nobody held a gun to your head to go see this band. If you feel the need to complain, don't buy a ticket next time.
Rock on, beanmedic! :thumb:
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

i wont complain about the show since i wasnt there, but i honestly cant beliieve the setlist was so standard for a new years eve show...would love to see copenhagen live (best song on the new album IMO), but thats it...hope you all had a great time though, and happy new year!
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

ok so Im up.., what a nite! I thought that was a great show, the band sounded very tight, and Gord D was in terrific singing form, I think the 2 week layoff did them some good, as for sound it was one of the best Ive heard. Gord D really sang the songs and kept the grunts and ranting down a bit, at least during the songs, which was nice for a change. Anyone care to explain that little solo bit he was singing, I couldnt really understand what he was saying. Im not going to complain about the setlist thats for sure, it felt like a greastest hits type show, kind of, but is that really a bad thing? The only problems I had with the show was the drunken morons around us, the girl on my left kept falling down and dropping her camera every 2mins, and the meatballs on my right next to my wife were complete assholes, but thats what I expect at a NYE show. My highlight of the night was ABAC, it sounded great, that and meeting the Classy Stephen Dame, you rock brother :thumb: I also met another baser sorry I forget your handle I think it had a number in it, 75 maybe?? Either way it was nice to meet you as well. Great show, happy new years and cant wait for the next tour leg (if there is one). HIP! HIP! HIP! I rate this show :thumb: :thumb: two golden thumbs up, mostly for the fantastic sound and rocking hard, and for playing Copenhagen-one of my new all time Hip favorites! Peace. LK
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Cpt. Trips
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Cpt. Trips »

beanmedic wrote:Nobody held a gun to your head to go see this band. If you feel the need to complain, don't buy a ticket next time.
Don't be such a dick, first off I was being facetious, second how will I know what the show will be like unless I go to it...hmm, maybe I could get the hip to email me set lists 5 months in advance...

It's not against the law to enjoy a hip show, but comment that I was dissapointed in another 'standard' 2004 set. I wish I could find that old interview with the hip about how they make setlists; they mention how a lot of there fans will see them many times a year so they always do their best to mix it up, hmmm.....

scottidude wrote:die-hard also die•hard
adj.
Stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.
n.
One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.
I take clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause. But you were correct, although I wrote "everyone was pleased except die hard fans" I meant that although die hard fans enjoyed the show, they are probably beginning to wonder if some of there favorite songs are now lost for good, does that make more sense?

Anyways, gord commenting on the hockey horn was classic.
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

While the setlist was 'standard', the energy of the band was something else i thought. As stated above, the rest probably did help them, they looked fresh. I really enjoyed are we family, it was the first time I saw it live and I couldn't believe Gord didn't pull out the guitar, I would think if ever there was a song where he would, it would be family, but no, much to my glee. Also nautical, which never really blows me away live, did last night. Standard setlist yes, but also a great show, not like the hip would deliver anything else though.
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

As well, I should definitely mention two more things. HDRC and the Weakerthans, excellent choices. It was my first time seeing both of them, and they didn't disappoint. Hugh definitely knows how to get the show started.

Secondly, security at the venue did a nice little job. I was in the first row of the stands on Paul Langois' side, and saw a few incidents where they took out some drunken folks who were bordering on dangerous. As the same time, I didn't find them so anal about the smaller stuff (dancing in the aisles, the smoking, etc.) Good job.
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

I thought the setlist was standard, BUT, I also thought the band played every song with pasion. There wasn't a song that I thought wasn't great. I would have to say this show was definitly in my top 5. Met alot of hipbasers: Mike from buffalo, another mike, lizard king, the guy who runs onegeekopinion.com and got to see shannon again. Couldn't think of better way to spend $50 and bring in the new year. A++++
Rye
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Rye »

Nice to hear everyone liked The Weakerthans. I saw them in a really small place in town about a month ago with no more than 100 people. Hopefully The Hip will invite them to be the opening act whenever they tour again.
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB