2004-12-31 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

I think the theme of the night was confusion. The hip seemed to rush through most songs (execpt a kick ass merdian)trying to time the ballon drop with newo. Gord then asked the crowd what time it was, the rest of the band started to group off to the side and gord asked "wheres everyone going?" great moment.. so they decided to go into their encores. Ballons sort of fell during bones but they had some difficulties with the ballon net above us, so it took a little bit, and also there was no countdown at all. just of a sudden "happy new year" appeared behind them on the screen.

Fire was the highlight hands down, that song is not played at every show and it was really nice to hear it. I agree that hardcore fans could be/are disappointed in the set once again. Other than family and fire it was the same set as toronto pretty much. Still had a good time, after all it was new years!!

ps Met "BIGA". A really nice guy, he filmed the DVD beside me and it is pretty much dead center. Everyone should enjoy it!!! He also handed out some other DVDS which arent on the tracker yet. I will let him post them since they are his hard work and not mine. He said he will be putting the shows on very very soon.

HAppy new year
bomber18
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by bomber18 »

Hey who remembers when they played Last of the unplucked gems at midnight a couple NYE shows ago. NOW that was not standard!
Franchize
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Franchize »

gratts99 wrote:, and also there was no countdown at all. just of a sudden "happy new year" appeared behind them on the screen.
They had a countdown from 10 on the video screen, I think they could have down better though on the countdown.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Was the stage set-up the same as the Canadian tour?
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Anyone remember the Weakerthans' setlist?
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

the stage setup was the same as the canadian tour
tragicallymike
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by tragicallymike »

yea i cant remember. They didnt do anything new. Off the top of my head i know they played "Plea from a cat named virtue","Our Retired Explorer","reconstruction site","manifest","The Reasons","pamphleteer","confessions of a futon revolutionist"
"
highwaygirl28 wrote:Anyone remember the Weakerthans' setlist?
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

what an amazing show, i dont even care that they played alot of the same songs. boots or hearts was incredible, and so was ahead by a century. i love the way johnny plays that live with the heavy bass drum. they had alot of energy and played each song with passion. awesome.
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

The show was awesome, the guys were really on. I was 2nd row floor on Paul's side near the end of the row, which was great because the first row was actually 4 seats shorter on that side, so there weren't any seats in front of us. I was able to move right up against the barricade which was great for taking pictures.

Got there about halfway through HDRC's set, they put on a pretty decent show from what I saw. The Weakerthans were downright awesome. I'd never really heard much of their stuff before but I'll definitely have to look into buying some of their music.

As for The Hip, sure it would be nice to get a gem in the setlist but we did get Family and Cope, both of which I hadn't experiened at the previous 2 IBE shows I've been to. So I've got nothing to complain about. And Nautical as always was more than worth the price of admission on its own. The whole turning midnight thing clearly didn't go exactly as planned, and I think Gord even said something like "we'll have to plan better next new year's eve" at one point. But really no matter what happened I don't think there could be a better way to ring in the new year than with The Hip. Anyone have any idea what Gord's little solo after NOIS was?

Also I did have my new digital camera with me and took a lot of pictures, I'll post a few of the better ones once I transfer them onto my computer.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

gratts99 wrote:ps Met "BIGA". A really nice guy, he filmed the DVD beside me and it is pretty much dead center. Everyone should enjoy it!!! He also handed out some other DVDS which arent on the tracker yet. I will let him post them since they are his hard work and not mine. He said he will be putting the shows on very very soon.
No way, i saw you guys there and i didnt even realize it. i was in FL3 R8, which i believe was right across the aisle from you. i saw a guy in a hip jersey (which now that i think about it is the same as the one in biga's avatar) and he handed out some discs to people in his row and taped the show. i wish i would have realized this and said hi.
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

all and all a great night...
... last night being my fifth hip show since the summer, it was nice to hear a song or two that i hadn't heard on the tour yet.
... met hipbaser brian and saw a bunch of others at a distance (i gotta get me a hipbase shirt).
... the guy beside me who got gord sinclair's set list was nice enough to tear me off the encores
... as i was waiting in line to check out of the sheraton this morning bobby baker walked past with his kids, i wanted to tell him the show was great and wish him a happy new year but i didn't want to intrude on family time so i smiled as i walked by and left it at that.
... i think i enjoyed a rockin' tune to "start another new year" better than the slow songs of the past two new years shows.

so it was a wicked time and hopefully will suffice to keep me hip till they hit the road again / release the dvd / release some new recorded material.

happy new year to all
Franchize
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Franchize »

grimes wrote: Anyone have any idea what Gord's little solo after NOIS was?
I think it was just improve. He was told there was 10 minutes left to midnight and he just starting singing about 10 minutes to go.
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

the song after nois was just an improv, he was basically singing about being 10min early for new years while the rest of the band regrouped and decided what they were giong to do

when nois ended and gord found out what time it was he said "i guess it's request time" if only they had taken a request or something, that would've been great, but how do you take a request from 17000? different voices
dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

oh yeah i should have the audio ready sometime today for the hip tracker so keep an eye out for it

some of my thoughts on the show, when i saw them at the acc i was right beside the stage so i couldn't see the moniters or the back drop so it was nice to see them last night since i was on the floors, row 27 section 4 on the aisle (thanks chris), the crowd was a bit of a distraction, all the horns and shit and watching the same 2 retards trying to sneek closer every couple minutes get busted and sent back everytime was annoying yet somewhat entertaining, and before the show there were too drunken idiots running out to the radio station booths (y107, 97.7) and coming back with different shirts every 2 min

i'll quote sloan here "its not the band i hate, it's their fans" , now don't get me wrong i've met a lot of great hip fans and i know there are tonnes of them out there, i just seem to get stuck in the middle of the retards all the time

overall i enjoyed the show, especially once they play 100th, it was great with a nice long jam.
St.KittsAP
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by St.KittsAP »

silentbob wrote:
i'll quote sloan here "its not the band i hate, it's their fans" , now don't get me wrong i've met a lot of great hip fans and i know there are tonnes of them out there, i just seem to get stuck in the middle of the retards all the time
heh, I had that Sloan line running through my head alot last night.

while I can be added to the list of people who had beer poured on their head, I was still able to enjoy the show. unfortunately, ignoring all of the distractions just takes some extra effort on the part of the folks who actually wanna take in the whole performance.

but I ain't complainin'... I knew that going in. and I'm glad I went.