2004-12-31 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

dreyfuss
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by dreyfuss »

i agree i know what to expect when i go to a show, its not just hip fans by any means, pretty much every band i've seen (a hell of a lot) has the same problem

also i wouldn't want to spend new years any other way than seeing a band i love
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

beanmedic wrote: No way, i saw you guys there and i didnt even realize it. i was in FL3 R8, which i believe was right across the aisle from you. i saw a guy in a hip jersey (which now that i think about it is the same as the one in biga's avatar) and he handed out some discs to people in his row and taped the show. i wish i would have realized this and said hi.
i saw someone in my row(8), with a hipbase tee, with a girl l (i think they were both wearing khakis and she was a blonde ??) not sure if thats you? Biga was wearing his purple hip jersey and i was sitting beside him along with my other friend (tonyzzz) and his finace. go figure the one concert i dont wear i hipbase tee too.... :x :x

sorry bud
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Gratts, I think you saw me. I was flr 1 row 8 sitting 2 from the end wearing a hipbase shirt and my wife is blonde...Shoulda said hi...The guy wearing the Bruins shirt with downie on the back was, excuse my french, fucking awesome. I want one of them......maybe black and red with a sabre on it....
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

here's some pics from the show....if you want the full size versions just select the picture and click 'download.'

happy new year
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

yuppers that was you..cool. the guy wearing the bruins jersey is a guy by the name of Kevin, hes on the hipbase as well, screen name is TTH700FT .(check out his kick ass plate under profile) I know he just got the jersey in the mail a couple days b4 the concert.I will get him to post where he got it from and a pic if possible. He was also in my party ironically enough. The reason we didnt sit together is becasue we didnt know what the maximum number of tickets to buy were going to be so we decided to seperate into 2 groups.

Small hip world
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

Sounds like everyone had a great time. I wish I was able to go also. My memories of the 2002 show will have to do. I'm glad to read that many of you met or saw each other. Hanging out at the Hipbase and seeing a bit of the online personalities is interesting. But I think it is an added bonus to any Hip show to meet other Hipbasers in person and associate a face with the avatar and posts. Some of the Hipbasers I met at shows this year I would consider to be new good friends. Happy New Year to all the Hipbasers!
:thumb:
taitgr590
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by taitgr590 »

Beanmedic,

Is your name Adam? I think I met you last night. My group was FL3 R8 35-38.

Graham
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Hi all, just back home. All shouts to all the people I met, please pm me with your name and handle, I am sorry but I can not remember everyone I met. My head is still in the clouds!

Every hip show is a great and this one was no exception. What else can be better than spending a New Years with great people and great tunes!

I will post some samples later tonight if I can stay awake :) I see that the audio has been put on the tracker, wow that was quick. Cheers hipfan39!
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

tragicallymike wrote:yea i cant remember. They didnt do anything new. Off the top of my head i know they played "Plea from a cat named virtue","Our Retired Explorer","reconstruction site","manifest","The Reasons","pamphleteer","confessions of a futon revolutionist"
"
highwaygirl28 wrote:Anyone remember the Weakerthans' setlist?
they also played the prescience of dawn, psalm for the elks lodge last call, benediction, and aside. i think that's the entire setlist. another hip opener that i would love to see now.

i was also in the party with TTH700FT, small world. the next time you see him at a show, ask him how big of a bruins fan he is.

driving home to ottawa today i heard 3 pistols and greasy on the radio and it made me wish we had a few gems pulled out last night. then again, this was show 5 for me this year so it's getting hard to be surprised. only new song for me was copenhagen, great to see them play that one. even a no-surprise hip show still beats the hell out of any other concert so you can't complain. how can you after a night of singing and dancing like that? fingers crossed for some US club shows in the spring. cheers :thumb:
2feetaday
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by 2feetaday »

I didn't see a HipBase shirt all night but must have been surrounded by people - I was in FL3 Row 9 (far left side). I agree that the set list was a perhaps too standard but the band was definitely into it and the songs were all played with power and passion. I guess I shouldn't complain but the crowd around me was very tame - no obnoxious drunks to speak of but also very little enthusiasm. When we were walking out we noticed that the floor in our area was about the only section not sloppy wet with beer.

Overall a great way to bring in the New Year.
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

Hey, if anyone wants to start seeding a show I handed out, please go ahead it saves me the time. Thanks for checking ;)

Hip to the People!!

p.s. I am posting samples on my site.
john cage
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by john cage »

I got the "same 'ol" setlist yesterday - Molson Amp 7/1/04. Since I couldn't go to The Hammer this time, I had to listen to a show in its place. I'm not whinging.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

taitgr590 wrote:Beanmedic,

Is your name Adam? I think I met you last night. My group was FL3 R8 35-38.

Graham
yup thats me.....nice to meet you...again. i had no idea you were on hipbase.
the_wheat_king
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by the_wheat_king »

Well, another great show!

I took a ton of pics once again as i was in the 3rd row, FL3 on the far left (grimes...i must have been right behind you or something, i was in the red & white hip jersey with a jays hat)....anyways, great to hear copenhagen live along with family, giftshop, nashville, and nice to hear grace too again since i didn't hear it in London :(

Gord did some of his great stage antics with the microphone and riding his motorcycle. He thanked the guy with the blowhorn in the crowd as the sound of it reminded Gord about there being no hockey this season...or something like that. Gord mentioned that as the balloons dropped that they were dangerous and to be careful with them.

Nice to see beanmedic (adam), chancellor (Chris) & company again.

and ya, the setlist could have had a bit more variety to it with 8 from IBE and 1 from RA, M@W and IVL.

-later
02/18/99Hamilton * 12/03/00Toronto * 12/21/00Hamilton * 10/21/01Toronto * 10/15/02Toronto * 12/30/02Hamilton * 06/21/03Toronto * 09/06/03Barrie * 07/01/04Toronto * 07/23/04Darien Lake * 11/26/04Toronto * 11/27/04London * 12/31/04Hamilton * 06/18/06Guelph * 02/06/07Hamilton * 02/08/07Toronto * 09/30/09Hamilton * 10/03/09Hamilton * 06/28/12Niagara-on-the-Lake * 02/05/2013Kitchener * 02/14/2013Toronto * 02/20/2015Montreal * 07/01/2015Toronto
musicfan
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by musicfan »

We were in section 108, about 9 rows up, Bobby' side. Thanks to the THC for those tickets! Great sightline and the people around us were fun.

I was with an old friend who hasn't seen TTH in over 10 years. It was funny cause he was saying that he didn't like Bobcaygeon before the show, cause it was a little on the mellow side. Anyhoo I didn't want to ruin his evening by saying that they were gonna probably play it. Well, I looked over at him during Bobc and he was DIGGIN IT!!! It sure made me LOL. It was nice to go to a show with someone who didn't know all the songs, a casual fan at best. He was familiar with Vaccination Scar and a bunch of the older, more popular, hits. For sure he didn't know One night In Copehagen and Makeshift...oh well! I see people have started the "old" same setlist routine but as I glance over the setlist I see it certainly does offer a lot for my friend, the casual fan. So I'm happy for him. He was pleased with the show/experience.

As for me...I saw 3 shows this tour. The 2 Toronto ones and this NYE celebration. It was my 3rd NYE with TTH and I gotta thank the band for playing shows on NYE for us fans. It is THE best thing to do on NYE...that is, see YOUR band, play YOUR music. Every word was absorbed, every jam was cherished. Saying it was just incredible is an huge understatement.

The moments for me were many. Fire In The Hole probably summed it all up best, 110% energy. I still dig Vaccination Scar as the opener and love all the new songs played(that's why I keep going). One Night In Copehagen was may fave new song played, and, We Are Family, and...oh you get it!! I'm just preaching to the choir here 8) Call me jaded if you want but IMHO it's all good. There ain't any bad and I never tire of the old standards. Especially noteworthy were New Orleans, Courage, ABAC and Wheat Kings.

I was a little disappointed in not making in it on time to catch either opening band but alas I was with someone who thought the lineups for beer would be much better in our hotel room, rather than the coliseum. He was probably right. By reading the reviews it sure sounds as though I missed a lot of good music.

Overall it's probably my 20th time seeing the band(yes I'm old). I read the recent newspaper article in the View(Hamilton Entertainment Newspaper) and thought how great it is that they are getting into the Hall Of Fame and how they are not even close to considering retirement. In fact, Gord S goes onto say that they are working on a new cd already! That is just wonderful news. Isn't it great to have this band around??

Finally If someone could please offer me a BnP of the NYE show, that's currently on the tracker, I would really appreciate reliving the experience. Once I get a copy I will reoffer a BnP to the list. I can't currently download but I can surely reoffer! Thanks to the tapers, and thanks to this community. I just joined here a few months ago and it's nice to be with other hard core HIP fans.

Have a great 2005 !!!

Happy New Year :jump :jump :jump :jump