2005-04-02 - MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

will somebody post what songs they played already...jeez...

anyway, I CALLED IT! GRACE TOO! I WANT MY PRIZE! :mrgreen:
skippy the wonder dog
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by skippy the wonder dog »

You didn't watch? How many frigging tool points is that? :)

Fully Completely and Grace.
bug_superstar79
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bug_superstar79 »

For some reason I was betting on Nautical Disaster against courage, but I didnt think fully completely...I was very happy about that!!
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

i'm watching the western feed right now..what time will they come on so i don't have to sit thru all this bullshit
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

opiated wrote:i'm watching the western feed right now..what time will they come on so i don't have to sit thru all this bullshit
I'd guess about an hour into the show....immediately follows KD Lang
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

from junoawards.ca

The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

skippy the wonder dog wrote:You didn't watch? How many frigging tool points is that? :)

Fully Completely and Grace.
i was watching Wrestlemanie 21 for free, i'd rather watch a 4 hours of spectacular WWE at my buddy's house with friends than stay home so i can catch 2 hip songs that i've seen them perform live in concert before anyway.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

I'd rather watch Sum 41 perform than watch wrestling but to each his own. I'd pretty much rather do anything than watch a bunch of homos in tights wrestle each other but hey whatever.
o78
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by o78 »

The energy in that building tonight was unbelievable! Especially when the boys took the stage. Gord was definately on fire tonight! Two songs was almost a tease though.....I wanted them to keep going. The rest of the Juno's was pretty much a blur after that :thumb:

The red carpet bit with them was hilarious though. Gord was so out of it....if you are trying fake chit chat at least try to say the band's name right - "Alex On Fire" :lol:
HugeHipFan
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HugeHipFan »

Why do I love this band? Gordie sings the Weakerthans!

(It rhymes, say it two times!)
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

thedoog wrote:weakerthans tease was the best f'in thing ever.........

That was a magnificent moment indeed. I wonder if John and the boys were watching tonight? I've never heard the Hip sound that good on TV before. They definitely had their game faces on tonight. The band was unbelievably tight and Gord was going absolutely nuts. It was beautiful to watch.
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

Just FYI, plenty of pics of Gord performing here

http://www3.junoawards.ca/GAL_2005.php

just scroll down to the pic of brent butt on the bottom and click.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

joanie wrote:
thecompletist wrote:Don Cherry should've inducted them though!
Harmer was a great choice with her Kingston connection, her love of the band, and her own beautiful musical talent.

Don would've said "dese guys rock better dan Europeans or does wimpy French guys" and, frankly, that's neither my Canada nor my Hip.

Exactly! Sarah has much deeper connection to the band. From what I've read she's great friends with them and she's known them since she was 15. Her older sister used to sneak young Sarah into bars to see them back in the early days.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

direwolf74 wrote:
thedoog wrote:weakerthans tease was the best f'in thing ever.........

That was a magnificent moment indeed. I wonder if John and the boys were watching tonight? I've never heard the Hip sound that good on TV before. They definitely had their game faces on tonight. The band was unbelievably tight and Gord was going absolutely nuts. It was beautiful to watch.
It was beautiful to watch. I was laughing to myself thinking of what all the non-Hip fans in the building were thinking when the boys played. All the ranting and the fact that Gord looked like he belonged in a psychiatric ward!! Hip fans understand that Gord was terrific and it was a magnificent performance but I wonder what non fans think when they aren't used to seeing lead singers act like that or rant like that. When Gord was talking to the microphone, what the heck would the people think? They probably thought he was literally crazy and I love it!!!

What a great job by Gord to sing a few lines of a Weakerthans song, which I would bet not too many people in the audience picked up on. Do you think U2 would pay tribute to an indie band at one of their shows? Not that it's neccesary to do so but it just shows that the Hip are in touch with reality and are true fans of music. Gord mentioned The Arcade Fire and Alexisonfire on the red carpet, which are two bands I wouldn't imagine any guys in the Hip listening to. They have respect and show respect for a lot of Canada's music, which is more than you can say about bands like Simple Plan and Sum 41 who have no respect for the people that made the Canadian music scene before them.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just a little off-topic here (but still on the subject of the Junos), am I the only one who thought Brent Butt was a bad choice for Juno host? The guy was NOT funny. His bit about the upside down mic made me chuckle, but other than that he was just plain god awful. Maybe next year CTV could spend a little more cash and get somebody like Mike Myers or Jim Carrey to host the show. Hell, even Jann Arden would be better. She was quite funny when she hosted a few years ago.