2005-04-02 - MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

didn't see the acceptance speech... can I view it any place online?
LastStop
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by LastStop »

thecompletist wrote:didn't see the acceptance speech... can I view it any place online?

I was wondering the same thing...
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

Anybody see the show in High Definition???? I did it was amazing, widescreen, crystal clear and 5.1 sound. pretty sweet. YOu could see most of the band pretty much from every camera angle they used.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

thecompletist wrote:didn't see the acceptance speech... can I view it any place online?
I was hoping somebody could hook a brother up who missed the whole thing.
o78
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by o78 »

Stephen Dame wrote:
I was hoping somebody could hook a brother up who missed the whole thing.
The whole performance is on the tracker right now.
o78
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by o78 »

The Hip were actually inducted into the Hall of Fame Saturday night at a non-televised awards gala and that is when Gord gave his "speech." After reading the paper this morning I am dying to know what he said because he sure got people talking. These are from two separate articles in the Free Press:

"On Saturday, there was Gord Downie's fiery, defiant defence of Tragically Hip fans, embedded in a poem designed to infuriate the very people who find the singer-lyricist obtuse and indirect. Enough jaws dropped at the Winnipeg Convention Centre to force a saliva cleanup at tables one through 32."

"On Saturday, instead of delivering an acceptance speech, frontman Gord Downie read a fiery, intense poem that amounted to both a vigorous defence of Hip fans - often derided as hosers by the Canadian music press - and a roundabout way of thanking as many of their friends and supporters as possible."

The Sun also mentioned today that they choose not to say anything at the show and are letting Downie's poem stand as their official comments on the whole thing.

So who else would kill to get their hands on that poem?! How can the paper publish that and not elaborate. So not fair.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

shall we email the boys to try to get them to post it on their website.... i mean we should thank them for sticking up for us "hosers"
eh?
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Dam, Lets get that thang - start the emails
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

I'd love to hear the poem. Gord really seems to be defending his fans a lot more these days which is great, because we are all music lovers with great taste in music.

Anyone else notice Alex Lifeson had on a Trailer Park Boys T-shirt? I thought that was great!!!!

I knew the Hip and Harmer had a connection but I didn't realize Harmer was such a big fan of the Hip. Gord referred to Harmer as the country's finest songwriter at the White Ribbon Concert so the mutual admiration is very apparent.
longseason
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by longseason »

Must read poem. No poem and no beer make longseason something something...

Oh, google produced this from the National Pissing Post, in regards to the poem and the pope:

The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie made a cryptic reference to the death in a rambling poem during his performance at the televised awards Sunday.

"This might be my last Pope John Paul," he said.

http://www.canada.com/national/national ... a7bde01819

Oh and from the Glone & Mail:

The majority of Junos were distributed at a formal industry-only dinner on Saturday night. At that gathering, mainstay rock heroes the Tragically Hip were inducted to the hall of fame.

"We're here primarily to honour our friends and family, and the people we've worked with," frontman Gord Downie told the crowd.

He then recited a lengthy poem he'd written especially for the occasion.

"Go to a show. Look around. People together under the full moon and trust. Music lovers like the rest of us," he said with his usual gusto and showmanship.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... rtainment/

And from elsewhere in the Globe:

Frontman Gord Downie gave an impassioned acceptance speech in the form of a poem.

"Go to the show. Look down your row," he said. "All the lights are up. See the people you know.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... rtainment/

Hell, I'll piece together this poem from all the bite sized morsels that have crept their way into the rags...
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

If you do, I (and all the other nutsos on the board) will be forever endebted. It sounds like a must hear!

-Jenna
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

I'm surprised that none of the papers have printed the entire poem. I'd love to read it. And I especially love it when the Hip get defensive about their music and their fans. There was a great article that came out during the IBE tour where Gord went off on elitist holier-than-thou critics who constantly write them off. It was beautiful.
tina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tina »

EXACTLY HOW I FELT! nothing like one amazing HIP performance to stoke the flames of a road trip. And if ARA is back on the way!! Canadian Tire here I come for campin gear!!
see ya'll there!!

tina
Mr. Lahey wrote:The band was spectacular tonight! Gord was so into it that I couldn't keep the smile off my face!

I can't wait for that dvd now, from the mini-preview it looks great!

I can't wait to see these guys live again, they are so freaking amazing live!!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Quote from Chartattack.com:

"The Hip performed Fully Completely and Grace, Too in an odd spectacle that featured lead singer Gord Downie cryptically muttering nonsense between almost every lyric."

That's pretty much the reaction I'd expect from someone who had never heard of them or seen them live before. I'm guessing the folks over at Chart are all 16-year old Simple Plan fans?
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

From the Toronto Sun today:

Lead singer Gord Downie stunned the crowd on Saturday night with a lengthy, passionate acceptance speech that he called "a poem" but seemed to be an attack on critics of the band and their fans. "Hate the band, hate me, but don't hate the fans, it makes you sound like a f---ing fascist," Downie spat out. "And you'll never get laid with those politics."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSu ... 7-sun.html