2005-04-02 - MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

o78
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by o78 »

PurposelessPlay wrote:From the Toronto Sun today:

Lead singer Gord Downie stunned the crowd on Saturday night with a lengthy, passionate acceptance speech that he called "a poem" but seemed to be an attack on critics of the band and their fans. "Hate the band, hate me, but don't hate the fans, it makes you sound like a f---ing fascist," Downie spat out. "And you'll never get laid with those politics."

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSu ... 7-sun.html
God...I love that man. If that doesn't put a smile on your face, I don't know what will :D
thipfan73

Post by thipfan73 »

Jenna_Bird wrote:If you do, I (and all the other nutsos on the board) will be forever endebted.
At least we come by it honestly!! :lol:

From the Montreal Gazette

The Hip appreciation segment continued with videotaped tributes from a cast of characters, including Prime Minister Paul Martin, who described himself as "tragically unhip."

The Hip performed Fully Completely and Grace, Too during the broadcast. Frontman Gord Downie's seemingly impromptu poetic lines included asking the world to "move the UN headquarters to Halifax, all right?" and a reference to the weekend's biggest headline, saying, "This might be my last Pope John Paul." The Hip lost the hotly contested rock-album category to Sum 41's Chuck.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montreal ... aa452d587f
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

"You can download it for $4.99 shortly after this press conference on junior.com"

-- The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie on whether he's going to publish his lengthy "poem-speech."

"Go to a pee-wee game and see hockey the way it's supposed to be played."

-- The Hip's guitarist Rob Baker

Toronto Sun today...different article than I posted earlier

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSu ... 9-sun.html
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

Oh man that is SO cool that he'd defend the fans like that. Those pieces from the poem quoted sound great, so the whole poem must have been amazing. I would have loved to have been there, just to see the reactions of some of the people he was targeting.

Rock on Gord!
thedoog
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thedoog »

PurposelessPlay wrote:"You can download it for $4.99 shortly after this press conference on junior.com"

-- The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie on whether he's going to publish his lengthy "poem-speech."

"Go to a pee-wee game and see hockey the way it's supposed to be played."

-- The Hip's guitarist Rob Baker

Toronto Sun today...different article than I posted earlier

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSu ... 9-sun.html
I assume he said "zunior.com" - where you can download canadian independent albums for $8.88 from bands and artists like the dinner is ruined, mike o'neil, the wooden stars, etc.....

great joke either way...

any more quotes from the poem surface yet?
thedoog
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thedoog »

I just spoke with a colleague who was there on Saturday.

The poem lasted approximately 1 minute and was what she described as an ode to the fans. She didn't completely understand the context of the poem, but, she didn't notice any particular shock in the room when it was read.

I should hear back from a few other colleagues who were there today. We'll get to the bottom of this.
longseason
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by longseason »

Cool, thanks for the efforts!
willthenurse
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by willthenurse »

hey, i just downlaoded the juno performance from the 100th meridan ftp thing....holy shit is all i can say. After a performace like that how the hell can anyone start a poll about wether they should call it quits or not. they toally rocked out...downie is hilarious...they were soooo good.

:D :D :D

so "over opiated" right now....
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

longseason wrote:
Oh, google produced this from the National Pissing Post, in regards to the poem and the pope:

The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie made a cryptic reference to the death in a rambling poem during his performance at the televised awards Sunday.

"This might be my last Pope John Paul," he said.

http://www.canada.com/national/national ... a7bde01819
does anyone else hear "hotel hall" instead of "pope john paul"...?

hotel hall seems to fit in with the rant a bit better... i think gord makes a reference to craddling a key card, feeling lonely as hell. also it could be connected to the "drink till you drop, in front of the wrong hotel room door" rant from the recent tour... maaaaybe.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

borgs wrote:
longseason wrote:
Oh, google produced this from the National Pissing Post, in regards to the poem and the pope:

The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie made a cryptic reference to the death in a rambling poem during his performance at the televised awards Sunday.

hotel hall seems to fit in with the rant a bit better... i think gord makes a reference to craddling a key card, feeling lonely as hell. also it could be connected to the "drink till you drop, in front of the wrong hotel room door" rant from the recent tour... maaaaybe.
Yeah :thumb: I heard "hotel hall" and couldn't hear any mention of Pope John Paul. Maybe I'm deaf but I'm glad someone else noticed it also.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

I also hear hotel hall.

I love how Rob has his guitar off before the end of Grace, and Johnny fires off his sticks at the end. Hard as f*ck. :lol:
willthenurse
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by willthenurse »

tigerthelion wrote:
borgs wrote:
longseason wrote:

Yeah :thumb: I heard "hotel hall" and couldn't hear any mention of Pope John Paul. Maybe I'm deaf but I'm glad someone else noticed it also.
yeah, i heard "pope john paul" at first, then my buddy said, what are you talking about , he said "hotel hall"!?

Now, I hear hotel hall too... :roll:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

When I heard it live for the first time, I thought he said, "This might be my last hotel, Paul."

But after listening to the performance again I hear, "hotel hall."
opiated
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by opiated »

i love the "we're going back..back to the worst point in the bands career" during FC, just before "bring me back in..."
Ponch
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Ponch »

I just watched the performance yet again, and I cannot believe how much they tore down the house!!!

I just can't get over Gord and how hyped up he was, and how much passion he sang and ranted with. He put everythiing he had into those two songs. Amazing!!!

That may now be my all time favorite version of Grace, Too. There have been many great versions of Grace, Too throughout the years, but that one has to rank right up there.