2005-04-02 - MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Ponch
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Ponch »

The boys were on top of their game tonight. Wish I could have been at the MTS Center to hear the Hip fans singing away to the tunes and all the record companies stuffy-stuff's looking around in admiration.

But great choice of songs and great energy. That is classic Canadian music at it's finest. And I also loved the Weakerthans tribute. Nice of Gord to show his respects to them in their home town.

And kudo's to Winnipeg. What a frickin rockin, rockin week and the perfect place for the Hip to be inducted into the Hall Of Fame.
canes67
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by canes67 »

I was going to post exactly what tigerthelion posted. We're used to Gord, but you've got to wonder what people who've never seen him think, its unusual to say the least. Great job though, glad to see them perform like it was one of their own concerts, and not act normal because it was on tv.

Brent Butt didn't add anything to the show. I saw Corner Gas once too and I just don't find this guy funny.

Can't beleive Simple Plan are getting so much respect with all the great Canadian music out there.

And what was up with K-Os's acceptance speech? He looked pissed.
BigRon
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by BigRon »

I wonder what the younger fans of groups like Simple Plan and Avril think of a performer like Gord. He is literally the only singer I can think of who goes off like that. A tremendous amount of passion in every moment, and I am very glad he didn't tone it down like I expected.

I remember SNL back in the day and he seemed very straight there, not much movement etc.

Things I loved: The hand signal he made when he glaced back, after he whistled in the first verse to "Grace". Isn't that what military guys do to tell the guys behind them to stop.

The cracks the guys from BNL and Rush made about The Hip being stoners. The one about Paul was really funny.

eeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK SLAM!!!!

Ronny
Coneycat
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Coneycat »

Sarah Harmer's voice vibrating with excitement during her introduction of the Hip was one of the highlights of the show. That was perfect.

Amazing performance. I did wonder whether Gord is more psycho whenhe's nervous. I also thought back to various band interviews in which they explained they got Paul in the band because they liked him, and "you can always learn to play guitar." My new theory is they got Paul into the band with instructions to look after Downie. "Just... make sur he doesn't hurt himself."

Billy Talent were, I thought, pretty endearing and I enjoyed their performance. I could almost imagine their hyper little singer thinking, "Hell, after THAT, *I* can get away with anything!" Although I hate his hair. No, I don't hate it--it's just that my forehead breaks out just looking at him.

And Robby's "Jesus Christ Superstar" t-shirt was a nice touch. I didn't realize what he was wearing under the purple shirt until I saw a picture of it in the paper this morning. ]
the Doctorb
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by the Doctorb »

Coneycat
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Coneycat »

BigRon wrote: The cracks the guys from BNL and Rush made about The Hip being stoners. The one about Paul was really funny.
I somehow missed whatever ARush said right after BNL made the "older stoner brothers" crack--what about Paul? (Who, incidentally, should gain some weight. NOW. Or next time they play outdoors they'll have to tether him to something so he doesn't blow away.)
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

That was there best on tv live performance by far. Very well done. :thumb:
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

All I can say is....AMAZING, as always :jump Awesome performance!!!

We had to wait till this morning to watch it , due to a networking problem, :roll: BUT:

Thank you to all of you who got it out there so the rest of us could see it :thumb:
o78
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by o78 »

Brent Butt was pretty weak last night. The arena was pretty quiet when he was on stage...he didn't get strong laughs at all. But nobody was there to see him anyways.

Winnipeg is just buzzing this morning and it's all about the Hip! Everyone was just so impressed - as they should be :thumb: I taped the show, so I can't wait to see what it looked like on tv. The sound is just amazing in the arena...all the bands sounded awesome. Well, except Simple Plan...those guys are beyond awful. Worst show opener ever!

I just have to say that I am not a fan of Kd Lang's music but to hear her live was definately an experience. What a beautiful voice. She had everyone on their feet when she was done....and I very surprised to see her wipe tears from her eyes. Class act all the way.
eric_c
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by eric_c »

First of all, Gord was on FIRE! I was afraid that he wouldn't be able to get into it with just two songs and it was going to come off low-key and stilted, but Wow! Ranting and everything.

Walking away from the mike at the end of Grace, Too was great.

But......

Grace, Too was an awesome choice - a true quintessential Hip song, but Fully Completely? Why not Blow at High Dough, Little Bones, ATHM? Given his energy last night, those would of been amazing.

Actually, I was a bit surprised that one of the songs wasn't a little more recent; Gus would of been a nice touch.
Rye
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Rye »

Like everyone said, that Weakerthans tag was awesome. I bet anything The Hip at least try to get them to open for a full tour.
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 26, 2013 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Feb 14, 2015 Winnipeg, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

Anyone have video footage of their acceptance speech?

My favourite part of their performance was during Fully Completely, when Gord tries to take the crowd "back to the worst point in the band's career", a likely nod to what they've described as the sterile effort in recording Fully Completely. All accounts point to the record being more of a hassle than a joy to record, I think this could've been a reason for picking the song, almost a "yeah, we stuck it out, for you.....".....or something to that effect....
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Problem Bear
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Problem Bear »

Is it just me, or was the crowd directly in front of the stage sitting on their hands. It sure looked that way. I originally thought that might be why Gord was reminded of the worst time in his career.

My mother has always said she likes The Hip's music, but finds Gord Downie too frightening to watch live. I don't think last night helped. :lol:
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Not sure if the Weakerthans saw it. They didn't mention it from the stage last night, and we didn't get a chance to meet up with them afterwards. I would like to see them open the next tour, or play a solid role at the next ARA. There's just something about Left and Leaving that sends chills down my spine when I hear it live.

What a great night for music, all around

Cheers

Pat
scottykarate
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by scottykarate »

and his innability to flick the microphone back up, so funny
and then saying...."Hey, where are you going? you're a microphone, get back here"....

yep, great stuff.....goose bumps throughout!