2005-07-02 - Molson Park - Barrie, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Problem Bear
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Problem Bear »

I consider this performance (I'm basing this on the AOL feed, not the CTV or live sound) the litmus test of whether you will worship the band regardless of how any performance sounds. This sounds dreadful. The voice-shredding is aggravating, the mix is terrible, and the beginning of Music@Work sounds like they've never played it before.

I love them, too. But if they always sounded like this, I wouldn't listen.

Cheers,
John
Problem Bear
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Problem Bear »

Incidentally, I don't think the Neil Young thing is an oversight. The streaming video of the concert jumps from BNL directly to Tom Cochrane.

Cheers,
John
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

Problem Bear wrote:I consider this performance (I'm basing this on the AOL feed, not the CTV or live sound) the litmus test of whether you will worship the band regardless of how any performance sounds. This sounds dreadful. The voice-shredding is aggravating, the mix is terrible, and the beginning of Music@Work sounds like they've never played it before.

Cheers,
John
I find that Gord try's to over do it a bit when it is a multi act/ international bill, its like he is trying to prove something, but I don't know it was a poor performance, Poets was okay at best in my opinion and the other two sucked ass.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Problem Bear wrote:I consider this performance (I'm basing this on the AOL feed, not the CTV or live sound) the litmus test of whether you will worship the band regardless of how any performance sounds. This sounds dreadful. The voice-shredding is aggravating, the mix is terrible, and the beginning of Music@Work sounds like they've never played it before.

Cheers,
John
Actually, I thought MAW would have been fine if there was a better mix. You can't blame the band for the mishap at the very beginning of that song when the guitars weren't working.

I don't mind when Gordie gets amped and sings a little louder than usual. He was into it, which is cool.

However, I know what you're saying. The overall performance wasn't one of the better sounding. I can't really blame the band for 100% of it since Bobby was still playing some good guitar; I just couldn't hear it. I don't think Mr. Baker is responsible for how loud his guitar sounds in the mix.

Not the Hip at the top of their game, but not dreadful either. I think you're going a little overboard with this thing. I don't worship the band no matter what they do because I've criticized Gord and the boys on here before, but that performance wasn't "dreadful". Gord showed a lot of energy and the fans loved it. The performance was maybe average with the potential to be very good with a better sound mix.

As for Neil, I watched him on AOL last night. Neil is Neil. Legend. I finally saw what you guys were talking about when I watched Gord grinning up on stage. He looked like a normal fan of the guys on stage, not the leading rock frontman in the country. It looked to me like Gord couldn't wait to share the mic with Neil. Classic respect, unlike that tit everyone's been talking about from Buckcherry. What a hoser eh? :)
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

tigerthelion wrote: Not the Hip at the top of their game, but not dreadful either. I think you're going a little overboard with this thing. I don't worship the band no matter what they do because I've criticized Gord and the boys on here before, but that performance wasn't "dreadful". Gord showed a lot of energy and the fans loved it. The performance was maybe average with the potential to be very good with a better sound mix.

I agree. The performance wasn't their best, and Gord's voice was a little rough, especially during Music at Work. But even a so-so Hip performance is still pretty damn good. I thought Poets rocked somethin fierce, and Aykroyd on the harmonica was a nice touch. Anybody else notice how Gord's voice seems to sound better when the band is on tour? It's almost like he needs a couple of shows to warm up before he's in top form.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Check out the tracker as I just posted a torrent of The Hip's and Sam Roberts' performances from aol.com...

http://tracker.hipfans.com/torrents-details.php?id=190
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

I agree, lately he seems to be screaming rather than singing some songs. I know nothing about mixing a sound board, but I would think they could up his vocal and then he wouldn't have o scream. I don't see this (or hear it) on earlier live performances as much as lately. Overall, I think it was great stuff, Ackroyd can realy carry that song well. I think a mouth harp would be a good addition to the band...
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

Sorry I said sucked ass, that is a little harsh, and it is true that they don't get a chance to sound check and all that, I still thought Gord was over-cooking it a bit on his vocals, I think he tries to make a song that he has sung a million times a bit more interesting to himself
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

NMAS wrote:Sorry I said sucked ass, that is a little harsh, and it is true that they don't get a chance to sound check and all that, I still thought Gord was over-cooking it a bit on his vocals, I think he tries to make a song that he has sung a million times a bit more interesting to himself

I definitely think that's part of it. Notice how his voice is much more controlled on newer songs, particularly ones from IVL and IBE. But like I said above, I've noticed that when the band is on tour and playing every night, he always sounds great (just listen to the Ottawa/London boots from the '04 tour). But he doesn't seem to get enough warm-up time for the one-off charity gigs and his vocals suffer. But that's part of why I like him so much as a singer. He's kinda like Neil Young in that respect. His singing isn't always perfect, but for me it's his imperfections that make him so endearing. A few people over on the Pearl Jam forum were bashing the Hip's Live 8 performance, mostly because of Gord's antics. I think he's probably just too weird for them. Eddie Vedder is a more controlled performer when it comes to his voice and what he does on stage, while Gord on the other hand is never afraid to go nuts and let his freak flag fly, and I think that strikes certain people as being "unprofessional".

By the way, that wasn't a sleight towards Pearl Jam at all. I love that band! I'm just talking about the differences between the two singers.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

direwolf74 wrote:
NMAS wrote:Sorry I said sucked ass, that is a little harsh, and it is true that they don't get a chance to sound check and all that, I still thought Gord was over-cooking it a bit on his vocals, I think he tries to make a song that he has sung a million times a bit more interesting to himself

I definitely think that's part of it. Notice how his voice is much more controlled on newer songs, particularly ones from IVL and IBE. But like I said above, I've noticed that when the band is on tour and playing every night, he always sounds great (just listen to the Ottawa/London boots from the '04 tour). But he doesn't seem to get enough warm-up time for the one-off charity gigs and his vocals suffer. But that's part of why I like him so much as a singer. He's kinda like Neil Young in that respect. His singing isn't always perfect, but for me it's his imperfections that make him so endearing. A few people over on the Pearl Jam forum were bashing the Hip's Live 8 performance, mostly because of Gord's antics. I think he's probably just too weird for them. Eddie Vedder is a more controlled performer when it comes to his voice and what he does on stage, while Gord on the other hand is never afraid to go nuts and let his freak flag fly, and I think that strikes certain people as being "unprofessional".

By the way, that wasn't a sleight towards Pearl Jam at all. I love that band! I'm just talking about the differences between the two singers.
direwolf, you pretty much summed up my views. Gord is trying to sing differently these days. I agree that it is probably to change things up a bit because there are only so many times you can sing a song the same way time and time again.

As far as the voice goes, you couldn't have said it better. It's the frailty and imperfections in the voices of Gord, Neil, Bob, Gordon Lightfoot that make them stars. It's the feeling you put into the songs more so than the actual voice. That's why Gord will always be miles ahead of American Idol and Canadian Idol winners in the music scene as far as respect goes. That's why Celine and her precious voice couldn't hold a candle to true artists like Downie, Dylan, Young, Lightfoot, Cockburn, etc...

As far as Pearl Jam fans, I've browsed quite often on their message pit. There seems to be a lot of Canadians over there, but only a few Hip fans.
Most of them seem to think Mars Volta are the second coming of Jesus himself or that EVERYTHING Radiohead puts out is pure genius.

I gotta say I don't mind when Gord "loses it" at all. I love the emotion he showed at the Barrie concert. I thought Gord was the bright spot that salvaged the performance actually, with the music being so off kilter.
AndGraceToo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by AndGraceToo »

So, yes, I JUST now saw the feed..

Gordon is completely insane..he needs to be put away in some aslyum, seriously..

Rob will never shake the fact that I will stalk him until his flesh has rotted from his bones..

Paul still needs a hair cut..
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

AndGraceToo wrote:
Rob will never shake the fact that I will stalk him until his flesh has rotted from his bones..

That's just scary.

:what
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

direwolf74 wrote:
AndGraceToo wrote:

That's just scary.

:what
no shit
AndGraceToo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by AndGraceToo »

:twisted:

BOO!
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Alot of talk about pearl jam but I don't remember seeing them step up for live 8...