2005-07-02 - Molson Park - Barrie, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

brian1175 wrote:Alot of talk about pearl jam but I don't remember seeing them step up for live 8...
Apparently the Philly organizers asked them, but they had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts. Too bad, because they would have added a serious amount of quality and coolness to an otherwise crappy lineup. When you run down the list of performers for all the different cities, Philly definitely got the short end of the stick.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

This is the first time I've read this thread since I posted my initial thoughts on Live 8. I've gotten a chuckle out of those claiming 'anybody who liked this show just loves the band no matter what:' as if that's a bad thing, a knock on our objectivity or something.

First, Gord's never been Frank Sinatra, nor has he ever needed to be. Gord to me has always been energy, eratic behaviour and entertaining ad-libs on stage. He's elegant on paper and in the studio, he's energy on stage. He works live like he doesn't give a shit; he's more punk rock than pop rock and I love him for it. Use it up.

Second, if you love this raw performance, do you simply love the band no matter what? You're damn right. I wouldn't run the site, buy the CD's, collect the T-shirts, hang around here, buy the tickets, or follow them around North America if I didn't love them no matter what. Is there stuff I don't like? Of course. But they're not out there to please me, they're out there to make music... most of which I love no matter what.

They're a band, a damn good one, and in my humble opinion: the best in the business today.

From the time Gord says "Hello" to the point where "Johnny Fay leads the way" for that last encore, I've got a smile on my face. That's the way it was during the Live 8 performance as well. I loved it, not simply because I'm a fan, but because it was high energy, it was a big time gig, Gord was on, the boys looked to be having fun, and hell, those were our boys up there on stage for the world to see.

I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for The Tragically Hip.
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

Stephen Dame wrote:They're a band, a damn good one, and in my humble opinion: the best in the business today.
Amen brother!

:thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Stephen Dame wrote:This is the first time I've read this thread since I posted my initial thoughts on Live 8. I've gotten a chuckle out of those claiming 'anybody who liked this show just loves the band no matter what:' as if that's a bad thing, a knock on our objectivity or something.

First, Gord's never been Frank Sinatra, nor has he ever needed to be. Gord to me has always been energy, eratic behaviour and entertaining ad-libs on stage. He's elegant on paper and in the studio, he's energy on stage. He works live like he doesn't give a shit; he's more punk rock than pop rock and I love him for it. Use it up.

Second, if you love this raw performance, do you simply love the band no matter what? You're damn right. I wouldn't run the site, buy the CD's, collect the T-shirts, hang around here, buy the tickets, or follow them around North America if I didn't love them no matter what. Is there stuff I don't like? Of course. But they're not out there to please me, they're out there to make music... most of which I love no matter what.

They're a band, a damn good one, and in my humble opinion: the best in the business today.

From the time Gord says "Hello" to the point where "Johnny Fay leads the way" for that last encore, I've got a smile on my face. That's the way it was during the Live 8 performance as well. I loved it, not simply because I'm a fan, but because it was high energy, it was a big time gig, Gord was on, the boys looked to be having fun, and hell, those were our boys up there on stage for the world to see.

Great post, my friend! Couldn't have said it better myself.

:thumb:
brian1175
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by brian1175 »

Yeah, whay he said...
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

Goes triple for me! :thumb:
chantel
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by chantel »

Yes, I agree completely!
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

Still sounded like shit, And that is what most of the people were complaining about, most people were not complaing about the performance as much as the sound, I was however 'cause I thought Gord was singing like crap. I have been a fan since the '87, seen them live 23 times, and I feel like it is my right to critique a performance if I think it is poor. Doesn't mean I don't still love the band or anything.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Just got my new Rolling Stone over the weekend.
The only review they gave of Barrie was the encore with Neil Young being joined on stage by The Barenaked Ladies, Jet, and members of Aerosmith. Not even a nod to The Hip, again.
And Aerosmith - huh - did I miss something?
I did not even realize they were at the show until I just read this. Two guys from Aerosmith were part of the all star line-up joing DMC on stage. All-Stars? Well, at least that CSI guy has a job after the TV show ends.
Here are the other All-Stars - in case absolutley no one cares:
The all-star line up to join DMC includes:
Gary Dourdan (Star of CSI)
Tal Berger (VJ MTV Israel)
Lance Lee (Diana Ross)
Mark Meadow (Wall Flowers)
Elliot Easton (The Cars)
Romeo Antonio
Keith Denehy (Angry Hill)
Josh Todd (Buckcherry)
Joey Kraemer (Aerosmith)
Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith)
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

Stephen Dame wrote:This is the first time I've read this thread since I posted my initial thoughts on Live 8. I've gotten a chuckle out of those claiming 'anybody who liked this show just loves the band no matter what:' as if that's a bad thing, a knock on our objectivity or something.

I agree with your sentiment 10000000000000X1000000000 percent :thumb: :thumb: Your right on the Fuckin money man :thumb:
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

A lesser band woulda been destroyed by the sound problems that were entirely not their fault.
They are true professionals and they bring to the stage a compelling presence. After they get into the groove, they start to mesmerize.

Love them or hate them, this band seems to evoke a wide-eyed engaged response from the viewers. Either way, the band seems to evoke thought, even if people are just trying to figure out why the band has such a 'mystique', as if they are missing something, or sometimes they are remembering a long-forgotten love of some of their old songs.
Every now and then, one of those people has an epiphany, and then they are hooked (like the recent post I read about someone 'converting' their girlfriend)

This band kicks ass live. I still love those less perfect shows. I love watching how the guys respond by taking each other's cues etc. You get insight into song structure, band interactions, technical issues, etc. It makes me so grateful that they get out there so often and do such an incredible job and allow us to share that forever. Every single night is unique.

I love Live music and I love The Hip and I especially love Live Hip. No matter what.
BoondockSaint
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by BoondockSaint »

i agree that that sound wasn't the best but i'd take that over being stuck on a ferry for 14 hours without any hip at all like last summer when i went to nova scotia and forgot to pack extra batteries :cry:
Problem Bear
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Problem Bear »

kelman66 wrote: I love Live music and I love The Hip and I especially love Live Hip. No matter what.
Well, that was exactly my point when I said that this performance is a good litmus test. I wasn't questioning the character of people who liked it. I was simply saying that if you liked this, you'll probably like anything they do short of a catastrophe. That's what die-hards do.

It's a useful thing to know: If I know someone who's a diehard comics fan (I do), and he says the new Fantastic 4 film is terrific (he did), then I know to take it with a grain of salt. Nobody bats 100 per cent. Great bands give mediocre performances (or have terrible sound mixes). On this occasion, on the Internet at least, the sound misfired. I didn't like it. So sue me.

Now, group hug. :wink:

Cheers,
John
kelman66
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kelman66 »

(hug returned) ;)
Problem Bear wrote: Well, that was exactly my point when I said that this performance is a good litmus test. I wasn't questioning the character of people who liked it. I was simply saying that if you liked this, you'll probably like anything they do short of a catastrophe. That's what die-hards do.

Cheers,
John
I agree that the die-hards may like anything no matter what, but I don't think I can bridge the gap to then say that noone else could have liked that performance. I would also say that it is unfair to say that die-hards are not capable of critiquing.

Also, define "die-hard". I would consider myself a die-hard. Nobody in my neck of the woods likely loves the hip half as much as me, but compared to some people on this board for instance, I ain't a die-hard at all.
Are you trying to define "die-hard" by saying it is the line in the sand at whether or not you liked the Live8 show? Seems like it - "litmus test" is the phrase you used there. That seems a bit too black-or-white to me, but I do kindof agree to a point though....
A couple questions:
Did the Hip gain any new fans because of Live 8?
Did the Hip lose any fans because of Live 8?
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Speaking of rough Hip performances, I'm reminded of a great Gord quote from the High Sierra show in '98 after he had completely f**ked up the lyrics to Nautical:

"Everytime I try to improvise during that song, it always comes back and bites me in the ass. Good thing it's only music."