2005-07-02 - Molson Park - Barrie, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

Problem Bear
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Problem Bear »

kelman66 wrote: I agree that the die-hards may like anything no matter what, but I don't think I can bridge the gap to then say that noone else could have liked that performance. I would also say that it is unfair to say that die-hards are not capable of critiquing.

Also, define "die-hard". I would consider myself a die-hard. Nobody in my neck of the woods likely loves the hip half as much as me, but compared to some people on this board for instance, I ain't a die-hard at all.
Are you trying to define "die-hard" by saying it is the line in the sand at whether or not you liked the Live8 show? Seems like it - "litmus test" is the phrase you used there. That seems a bit too black-or-white to me, but I do kindof agree to a point though....
A couple questions:
Did the Hip gain any new fans because of Live 8?
Did the Hip lose any fans because of Live 8?

No, you're absolutely right on all counts.

I was being rigid and black-and-white for argument's sake. I wrote my post because I was incredulous about the poster who said, "That should be on the DVD!" (I think I'm also building up resentment because I seem to be the only person on this board who doesn't like it when Gord screams.) But I relent.

I'll stop disagreeing with opinions on this board (for at least a day) and get back to explaining to friends that I'm not crazy for loving the Hip just as much now as they did 12 years ago.

Cheers,
John
the Doctorb
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by the Doctorb »

Stephen Dame wrote: ... Gord's never been Frank Sinatra, nor has he ever needed to be. Gord to me has always been energy, eratic behaviour and entertaining ad-libs on stage. He's elegant on paper and in the studio, he's energy on stage. He works live like he doesn't give a shit; he's more punk rock than pop rock and I love him for it. Use it up.
One of the best summaries of Gord that I've read in a long time. Well said SD.
To side with Problem Bear for a moment, I don't like it when Gord SCREAMS instead of sings. But I've noticed that this tends to happen more while the performance is a television broadcast, or when the sound is not completely under the bands control.
Just my two cents though. I love the band, Gord is a genius when it comes to lyrics and performance. nuff said.
Doc
NMAS
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by NMAS »

the Doctorb wrote:
Stephen Dame wrote: ... Gord's never been Frank Sinatra, nor has he ever needed to be. Gord to me has always been energy, eratic behaviour and entertaining ad-libs on stage. He's elegant on paper and in the studio, he's energy on stage. He works live like he doesn't give a shit; he's more punk rock than pop rock and I love him for it. Use it up.
One of the best summaries of Gord that I've read in a long time. Well said SD.
To side with Problem Bear for a moment, I don't like it when Gord SCREAMS instead of sings. But I've noticed that this tends to happen more while the performance is a television broadcast, or when the sound is not completely under the bands control.
Just my two cents though. I love the band, Gord is a genius when it comes to lyrics and performance. nuff said.
Doc
Yeah, I don't know why he does it more when he is on tv, T.V. gives them the opportunity to reach a ton of new fans, he should do the best singing job he can do, not some screaming that sounds like crud.
AndGraceToo
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by AndGraceToo »

Very true that Gord is a complete package - and I admit when listening to Hip, especially live performances, that I imagine him and all his glory flopping around like a flounder, and even can be seen twitching in unison - however..

Now, come on, it was just a tad over the top..

I got a couple of these :scratch: when watching it with a non-Hip fan (not anti, just unblessed)