2005-09-03 - Magnetic Hill - Moncton, NB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Yeah, they had kids doing security checks. It was also "against the rules" to smoke. HA
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Yeah, they had kids doing security checks. It was also "against the rules" to smoke. HA

BTW, I forgot to mention the part of OLP's set that stood out for better or worse. During "Wipe That Smile Off Your Face", Raine stopped and said something about being face to face with this other person. Then he says, "George W Fucking Bush". That got the OLP fans cheering anyway. Raine seems to have quite bitter feeling towards the US PRESIDENT.
anorexicbadger
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by anorexicbadger »

This is the third time I've seen OLP. Not once have they been the reason I went to the show though... Anyway, I've noticed that everytime I see them they get a little better. They're a much tighter and more enjoyable band than they were when they toured with Everclear. Oh, and their guitar put in a couple of kick ass solos.

I'm not a fan of the band, but I do think they deserve a little more respect than they get, even though the "George W. Fucking Bush" comment just came off as pathetic.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Wow, I had a blast. Man, "Summer's Killing Us" kicked ass. Anyways, to the point: did anybody get in their recording gear?
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

Summiteer wrote:What was the setlist for the Stones?
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Live With Me
Tumbling Dice
Rough Justice
Ruby Tuesday
You Can't Always Get What You Want
All Down The Line
Night Time Is The Right Time
--- Introductions
The Worst (Keith)
Infamy (Keith)
Miss You (to B-stage)
Oh No, Not You Again (B-stage)
Midnight Rambler (B-stage)
Honky Tonk Women (from B-stage)
Sympathy For The Devil
Paint It Black
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction (encore)
scottitude
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by scottitude »

Great reviews all, and it sounds like it was a helluva show all the way around. Let's hope the "Super Hip" logo sticks around and shows up for sale on MapleMusic.com
1995-04-07 Toledo | 1996-06-29 Toledo | 1996-11-23 Detroit | 1998-08-22 Toledo | 1999-02-12 Auburn Hills |
1999-05-05 Grand Rapids | 1999-07-31 Clarkston | 1999-12-31 Toronto | 2000-01-01 Toronto |
2000-06-14 Pontiac | 2000-07-15 Clarkston | 2000-12-02 Detroit | 2002-08-31 Clarkston |
2004-09-18 Detroit | 2007-04-12 Detroit | 2009-05-29 Detroit | 2012-11-28 Detroit | 2016-08-08 London | 2016-08-16 Hamilton
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

What a night! The Stones absolutely blew me away! I've been to a lot of concerts, but i've never experienced anything quite like that in my life. This weekend was the most fun i've ever had. From the moment we left PEI Friday night until we got back this morning, i had a blast.
What a night though! Our Lady Peace were pretty good, the highlight for their set for me was "starseed". I was a little disappointed they didn't play "naveed" though. After OLP we took a walk up to the merchandise tent to have a look, then waited in line with 30 minutes to get into the beer tents to meet up with the rest of our crew. Apparently there was too many people in there so they wouldn't let anyone back in until it cleared out abit. Finally the big guy came back up and told everyone it would be "another half hour or more", so we gave up with that idea and went then to wait in line for the bathrooms - which took about an hour! So yeah, we missed all of Maroon 5.

The Hip were great, and i thought Gord sounded great. I was very impressed with their performance and they definitely didn't shy away from the hits, belting out on after the other. I was hoping for an encore, but oh well. The surprise of their set for me personally was "summer's killing us". It was the first time i've seen them play it live, to be honest i'm not a big fan of the song, but i loved it last night. The rest of you guys pretty well summed up their performance so no need to dulge any further.

The Stones were amazing, they just completely blew me away. I expected them to be good, but WOW! We were able to work our way up close for them, and wow! Mick, Keith, and Ron were full of energy, running around the stage like a bunch of teens. And the stage, how awesome was that. The lights, the fire, the fireworks, the explosions, moving "bstage"... How awesome were those first few notes of "start me up"??? Where to begin with the highlights from their set! I thougth "sympathy for the devil" kicked some major ass, and how about the ovation for the opening notes of "paint it black", which was another highlight for me. One of my favorite moments of the night was actually "miss you", it was probably my favorite performance of the entire day. And the closing with "satisfaction", how awesome was that! What a night, one i'll never forget.

And listening to C103 afterwords the buddy in the cruiser they were talking to said "traffic is moving smoothly". 2 hours later and we still hadn't moved even an INCH! It took us a good 2.5 hours before we were even able to move (the back side of parking lot 3). lol and walking back to parking lot 3 we were walking through the field with Mike doing his Mick Jagger walk & kicks and us all in hysterics, then he fell in a whole and sprained his ankle lol! What a night :)

And i'm looking forward to A Bigger Bang. Both "rough justice" and "oh no, not you again" rocked last night. Same goes for the Hip's "no threat". As good as the Hip were, and man were they good, the Stones just blew them and the rest of them away.
Last edited by ryan93 on Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

ryan93 wrote:yeah, we missed all of Maroon 5.
Lucky you. :thumb:

Sounds like I missed an epic concert, if it had been in Ontario I would of went, but hey why should we have all the fun eh! Im glad everyone on the East Coast had a great time, sounds like one for the ages.

:thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

Yeah i didn't exactly mind missing Maroon 5. We could still hear them though and to be honest they were both a lot louder and a lot rockier than i would have expected.

I can't wait until i get my pictures back! I still can't get over the size of that stage, the thing was 7 stories high!!
The Dire Bunny
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by The Dire Bunny »

Wow, I'm so glad I was able to be a part of that historic show, even if I had to walk 3 hours to get home...

but it was worth it to see the Stones spectacular stage and awesome performance. Seeing the Hip was definately an added bonus, and the "New Orleans is Beat/Nautical Disaster" tune was also very touching... and it was a great privilege to hear the new song live... I can't believe the first time I hear a new Hip tune I hear it live in a crowd of like 80000+ people!

great show and great memories!
The Darkest Canuck
Darkest One

Post by The Darkest Canuck »

no fucking WAY! thE stones splayed paint it black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ryan93
Completist
Completist

Post by ryan93 »

The ovation during the opening notes of "paint it black" was insane.
tommygunn
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by tommygunn »

"Paint It Black" is my all-time fav Stones song! :thumb:
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Paint It Black was FLAWLESS!!!! The Stones show certainly lived up to expectations. I wasn't up close enough to really see Mick moving around the stage but it was still an unbelievable show for me. I really think "Start Me Up" was the highlight of the show just because of the anticipation and the energy and the explosion of the song. It truly started up a very historic moment in music for the Maritimes.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

Sounds like it was an amazing show. I really wish I could have gone.

From Hamilton, Moncton is a 16-17hr drive if you cut through the US and about 17-18hrs keeping in Canada.