2006-10-22 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Just got home following a beer with some old friends after the show.

New songs sounded fantastic. This was the first show at the Phoenix I've seen in probably over a decade...great venue.

50 Mission Cap blew me away, as I can't remember the last time I heard that song played. Same with On The Verge. It took me about 10 seconds to figure out which song it was, as they haven't played it live in such a long time.

It was great to see all the hipbasers there, and looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night too!

Great show, great setlist, great venue...what more can you ask for?

:thumb:
Last edited by srb on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Besides a set to die for by the Hip, including the new songs which were amazing and On the Verge to close it out, Johnny Fay handed ME his sticks, and I just about fainted! I've always dreamed of being lucky enough to be front and centre for a great show and on top of that get Johnny's sticks, I am in awe! It was one of the greatest nights of my life.

Somehow the good times kept coming, and I had a conversation with Jay Harrison then Andrew Raycroft, who are both total class acts, and will take the time to speak with you. Hal Gill is a friggin monster too.

So thats my quick review, everyone else will get into the details further I'm sure.

I have a strong feeling, as with Fort York, the Hip will not repeat a single song, except for the WC stuff this week. They have such a large catalogue now, that they can use a fresh set each night. There are still so many great tunes left!

Hopefully they save No Threat, GoodLife and 3 Pistols for Wednesday night when I go for round 2!
BRoach
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BRoach »

i scored tickets for this show on friday night...
and drove in from london for it
this was without doubt the best show i've ever seen by the hip

thanks to the post-sale for making this happen
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

Lahey, were all the Leafs together? I saw and spoke to Gill but I didn't even notice who he was with.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Awesome show. nice to see some faces I recognize.

It appears the Johnny has dropped Ayotte drums and switched to Remo. I think he still has the Paiste symbols though.

Paul pulled out the old black Takamine for wheat kings which was weird to see without a smoke hanging from his mouth. It is also worth noting that he still has a guitar other than a Les Paul. I believe he also brought out a black Tele and what looked like an old Les Paul with the double cutout. Awesome if thats what it was.

Rob pulled out the nice looking Rickenbacker for the kids dont get it, but played the PRS for Escape which defies tradition if I remember correctly.

Sinclair played the bass guitar with the wear marks and probably the same strings that have been on there since 1980. God help us if he ever breaks a string during a show.

Great show - I wish I had tickets to the next 3 shows.
Vink Lippy
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Vink Lippy »

BDS28 wrote:Lahey, were all the Leafs together? I saw and spoke to Gill but I didn't even notice who he was with.
Most of them were. Lahey and I saw Jay Harrison standing by himself in the back after the show. He told us the other players were around the corner and to not be shy. He was a pretty nice guy. We also saw Matt Stajan and Brendan Bell, didn't get to talk to them though, I think they saw us coming.. haha
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

beanmedic wrote:Awesome show. nice to see some faces I recognize.

It appears the Johnny has dropped Ayotte drums and switched to Remo. I think he still has the Paiste symbols though.
I believe Johnny still has the same Ayotte drums he's had for a few years, he just has a white Remo head on the bass drum instead of the black Ayotte one, plus the larger tom has gotten a bit smaller.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Kick ASS!

Killer show, killer setlist AND I got to strike one of my white whales ("On the Verge") from my list of songs I haven't heard live. Also, I hadn't heard "50MC" live since my second Hip concert; astoundingly, I've seen them ten times since then and hadn't heard it, even though the vast majority of those concerts were here in Toronto. I'm still not sold on the new album, but most of the new songs sounded awesome live; "The Kids Don't Get It" and "Lonely End of the Rink" (which I'd heard at Fort York) were the standouts. Can't wait for Thursday; wish I was going to the other two as well.

Steve
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

Mr. Lahey wrote:

I believe Johnny still has the same Ayotte drums he's had for a few years, he just has a white Remo head on the bass drum instead of the black Ayotte one, plus the larger tom has gotten a bit smaller.
Ya that could be right.
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

Paul pulled out the old black Takamine for wheat kings which was weird to see without a smoke hanging from his mouth. It is also worth noting that he still has a guitar other than a Les Paul. I believe he also brought out a black Tele and what looked like an old Les Paul with the double cutout. Awesome if thats what it was.

Rob pulled out the nice looking Rickenbacker for the kids dont get it, but played the PRS for Escape which defies tradition if I remember correctly.

Sinclair played the bass guitar with the wear marks and probably the same strings that have been on there since 1980. God help us if he ever breaks a string during a show.

Great show - I wish I had tickets to the next 3 shows.
Nice instrument review...you certainly are an observant one....the "Old Les Paul" is more than likely a Gibson SG.
jodisoko
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by jodisoko »

Wasn't going to go to any of these shows ... breaking up with the husband don't get you in the mood to go ... but decided to buy them way overpriced on ebay ($100 a tix) anyway (thanks Jim and Tonya for not breaking the trust I put in you guys for leaving the tix at the box office -- can only trust other Hip fans I guess). And it was worth it ... barely had to twist my friend's arm to go, (prob bc I didn't ask for any money for her ticket since I was so desperate to go) First time ever seeing the Hip in such a small (but way overpacked and yeah super hot and sweaty) venue -- although did see Gordie's solo band in Toronto (forget name of the bar/small concert venue) sometime in 2003. The crowd was a little pushy, well maybe bc I was on the fringe of the "aisle" near the front bar, mostly the drunk guys, bouncers and bar backs who were the assholes shoving their way through.. but hey, it's the atmosphere right? Managed to get glimpses of Gord's facial distortions and body wirthering antics through weaves and bobs around much taller people in front of me... (this 5'1" petite fleur has got to wear heels or platforms next time!) going to shows is definitely worth hearing the music live -- esp Gord's streamofconsciousness ad-libbing -- but all the more meaningful if you can actually see him convulsing on stage -- it's mesmorizing and really the true reason why I go see him. All the new songs are amazing, love: In View, Fly, Luv(sic), Last night I dreamed you didn't love me -- it's as if they timed the release of the new album at the same time my marriage was breaking up --- seems their albums are always perfectly timed as a songtrack to my life -- coincidence or self-fulfilling prohesphy? Of course, Yer not the ocean is absolutely amazing and had it stuck in mind for the whole ride home. World Container was indeed an awesome live version -- way better than the album version. And def nice to hear some classics, it's only fun to hear 50MC and BobCay in Canada, esp Toronto ... and of course Lake Fever, Nautical Disaster and Dire Wolf were some great ones. Too bad Gord didn't get the reaction he wanted out of Wheat Kings ... not sure why but it seems the song is way overhyped by the crowd. Blow at high dough was another amazing song -- def a hint that the show was coming to a close... made our way to the front exit (right side of stage) at the encore, and damn it we should have stood there the entire show -- what a great place to stand, though you can't see the drums... but got awesome profiles of Gord and Paul ... but some dumb ass girl was annoying Gord by taking photos with her shitty delayed digital camera... if you don't have a good camera, don't bother Gord with your low res cameras. (If you have to get a good spot, get there when doors open, and don't drink more than 2 beers bc if you have to leave to piss you prob won't get your space back)
Verge was an amazing way to end the night. Hopefully I'll be able to come back Thursday night if my estranged husband invites me to go with him. (Taking bets on that to fund my next show) If not, anybody have any extra tix for Weds or Thurs?
PS. Wouldn't know a Leafs' player if he kissed me on the lips.
northern wave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by northern wave »

The Trailer Park Boys were there and Jim Cuddy, Dave Hodge, James Duthie, Justin Pogge too...Awesome show. The new stuff was incredible! Luv (sic) is my new favourite! Surreal moment, just after Gord was talking about fighting during the intro to "Fly" (can't remember exactly what he said)...a scrap broke out by the soundboard in the first minute of the song.

A rockin' show with a great setlist
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

good show lastnight. i was standing at the righthand side of the sbd. i dont remember seeing any fight, but then again, i was too busy watching the stage. met a few people from here lastnight which was cool. see ya tonight.
anothersaab
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by anothersaab »

robert goulet wrote: Nice instrument review...you certainly are an observant one....the "Old Les Paul" is more than likely a Gibson SG.
i was thinking it might've been a 335? double cutouts wouldn't work on an SG ;)
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

So it was super-packed in there eh? At what time did it start to fill up? I want to know when I should show up on Wednesday.