2006-10-22 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-10-22 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Well it's not in real-time... but Hip_11 just did the call in from the parking lot.
Close to 2 hours set....place was nuts!

...played entire new album he thinks along with these also...
NOT IN ORDER except for the final

50 MISSION CAP - 2nd song
ESCAPE !!
BOB C
AHEAD
LAKE
WHEAT
NAUTICAL
BLOW

WORLD CONTAINER
ON THE VERGE - LAST SONG

50, Escape, Verge is a decent trifecta

check back tomorrow I wanna text the songs to a local number to be posted here... as they happen.... email me if you can be on the team for this!
Last edited by thecompletist on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

thecompletist wrote:Well it's not in real-time... but Hip_11 just did the call in from the parking lot.
Close to 2 hours set....place was nuts!

...played entire new album he thinks along with these also...
NOT IN ORDER except for the final

50 SSION CAP - 2nd song
Escape !!
bob C
ahead
Lake
wheat
nautical
Blow

World Container
ON THE VERGE - LAST SONG

check back tomorrow I wanna text the songs to a local number to be posted here... as they happen.... email me if you can be on the team for this!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: wow, On The Verge and Escape, I cant wait for Wednesday and Thursday
kulpie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

wow...

Post by kulpie »

First post- long time lurker - have met the band and have been to approx 25 shows.

Put the baby to bed, watched the hip on the newsworld edition of 'the hour' and then had to go to the show. My wife, god bless her, was like go if you want...sweet.

Missed the first few tunes and squeezed into the corner and was blown away by how tight they were. And I'm in the camp that thought Gord had lost a bit vocally, but, tonight I think is one of the best vocal performances that I've witnessed from him -

Pretend stood out,
Family band had the crowd groovin and they should release this after Lonely End of the rink (I must have missed this tune tonight).
Kids don't get it also was excellent.
Wheat Kings, BobCaygeon, Nautical Disaster, Dire Wolf, Blow... all above par.
The Ocean is just amazing - another hit single in my mind.

AND On The Verge!!!!!! Gord had mike issues or fumbled through the first verse and then pulled it together - What an ending as they were at warp mind speed.

I haven't seen the hip since that night in TO and forgot how great it is to see them in a smaller venue again!

I'll be there tomorrow night as well!

Cheers and good night to all,

-Edward.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Nice first post Edward...welcome

Direwolf too!...geesh!
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

That was my reaction when I saw Direwolf! Love that song
SirMatticus
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by SirMatticus »

I just got back from the show - it was great, as always. They played all of WC I think (just like at the Horseshoe), but the surprise of the night for me was:

ON THE VERGE!

Wow, I haven't heard that one a long long time.

Time for some rest before tomorrow night,

Matt
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

FANTASTIC SHOW!!!

They played the entire new album and nailed all of 'em. Family Band was the main set closer and it was amazing. Gord's mic pack kept screwing up and you could tell it was pissing him off (pissed off at his equipment, not pissed off generally), but once that got sorted out he was cavorting about the stage and being Gord par excellence.

It was awesome to be so close up -- they all looked so huge after years of nosebleeds and lawn seats.

I can usually only remember by album, so here's all the songs they played:

Blow (total brain boiler)
On the Verge (mind blowing encore closer)
Fifty MC (Ok, but do you know this one ... crowd chanting Go Leafs Go afterwards)
Wheat Kings (a bit of a disappointment; Gord tried to get the crowd to sing the last verse, but people didn't really come in on time. He said "You take it!" and then after a few moments, "Ok, I'll take it")
Nautical (Anti-Harper ranting)
ABAC (all guitars going full speed; very well done)
Bobcaygeon (This is for the boys in blue ...)
Escape is at Hand (two shows in a row for me -- amazing!)
Lake Fever (Love in the time of cholera; Paul was really belting out his parts)
The Dire Wolf (Any Newfounlanders in the audience? I mean the Dog.)
Summer's Killing Us (this is the song where his mic pack was really screwing up)
Yer Not the Ocean (Gord on guitar)
Rink (opener -- tore the place up; after playing this and 50MC back to back, Gord's comment: "I went to a rock concert and a hockey game broke out)
In View (full complement of guitars; much better than plinky keyboards)
Fly (love it!)
Luv (Sic) (man, they sounded tight on all the new stuff)
Kids (my hair is still on fire)
Pretend (opened up the encore; crowd was digging on the Yes I Cans)
Last Night (don't go to bed angry)
The Drop Off (wow! this song'll be mental if it sticks around enough that the fans learn the fast parts)
Family Band (gotta love that they're using it as a closer)
World Container (for everyone who hates the "overblown" version on the album, the first bit is just Gord + guitar, but then the band takes over and sweeps you right in -- kinda weird mid-set, but great song nonetheless).

great night!

ct
puckstopper
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by puckstopper »

12:30am, just got home to Guelph....what a show!!! Not only did they play the ENTIRE new album which sounded incredible live. But I got to hear Dire Wolf which is one of my all time favourites!!! Too tired to write more....but I am sooooo tempted to try and get tickets to one more at the Phoenix!!! You're all in for a real treat this week...enjoy!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Since no one's posted yet... this is the full set in order (I think):

Rink
50 MC
View
Fever
Drop-Off
Escape
Summer
Bob C
Container
Last Night
Nautical
Luv Sic
Dire Wolf
ABAC
Fly
Kids
Wheat
Ocean
Blow
Family Band

Pretend
Verge
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

These new songs kick ass live, I knew they would! Tonight was a great show and as any HIP fan knows, they only get better as the week goes on! I hope they play No Threat tomorrow, and like I said maybe the best is yet to come! We heard them break out 38 years old for the Ft. York show, what could be next, Another Midnight possibly, one can only hope?

I would like to publicly thank one of the many die hard fans who frequent this site. EricW listed 2 singles for sale for mon & tues shows, I was lucky enough to be the recipient of those tickets! For me, it was like winning a lottery. Eric made roughly a 400km hike by bus to this show by himself. By himself because unfortunately his sister did not feel well enough to make the trip as originally planned. He said to me as we stood in line together if there's one song I want to hear tonight it's "Escape", I'm glad that happened, it makes your night just that much more unbelievable! Thanks Again Eric, I don't like the feeling of getting tickets because of an unfortunate event, but in the long run, I guess it's nice to know that's you really made a huge hip fans day, and you don't get low balled by a scalper, or even eat them as I have on several occasions!

A fight came more than close to breaking out at the west back side. I stepped in as best I could to try break this up. It didn't come to blows, and "that guy" was finally aprehended by security. I learned after, "that guy" was basically being a total prick, especially to some ladies in the crowd. It's too bad this shit goes down, but it usually gets worked out I guess. The one guy who was trying to "shake" some sense into him, actually bought me a beer after "that guy" was hauled away, CHEERS!

Enjoy the next shows as I'm sure they will rock, pigeon, looking, trickle, 3 pistols, cordelia, apartment, inch, Joe, Nashville, stay, etc. are all welcome this week for sure! Nice to meet and reacquaint with several of you this evening, see you tomorrow! Play "No Threat"!!!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Wow... I'm loving the fact that apart from the new songs there are no guaranteed songs to hear anymore (ie. Meridian, Poets, New Orleans etc.) like there were on the IBE Tour... also they came on stage at 9:10 and played until 11:00.

Nick
nhaste wrote:Since no one's posted yet... this is the full set in order (I think):

Rink
50 MC
View
Fever
Drop-Off
Escape
Summer
Bob C
Container
Last Night
Nautical
Luv Sic
Dire Wolf
ABAC
Fly
Kids
Wheat
Ocean
Blow
Family Band

Pretend
Verge
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

enjoyed the show a lot...awesome vibe at the phoenix (though it was about four billion degrees).

gord seemed kinda pissed a few times with his mike thing...even throwing it onto the ground at one point i think.

just curious...he seems to sing a lot of the popular songs "differently," namely the slower ones, when the crowd threatens to drown him out. is it cuz he doesn't want the sing-alongy thing? i guess it's potentially confusing for a singer when that happens. and not sure if he does this all the time...
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

ps...spotted dave hodge in attendance and we apparently saw andrew raycroft upon walking in. i wouldn't know him from a hole in the wall but my friend said twas he.
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

I saw Hal Gill walking in and spoke to him briefly....