2006-10-22 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

northern wave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by northern wave »

daaave wrote:good show lastnight. i was standing at the righthand side of the sbd. i dont remember seeing any fight, but then again, i was too busy watching the stage. met a few people from here lastnight which was cool. see ya tonight.
it was on the left side...a thousand bouncers jumped in quickly, so it thankfully didn't develop into much beyond a couple of drunks trying to land a punch.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

It wasn't that packed. No more than any other show there - there are fire regulations.

8:15 - 8:30 was when it really started to fill up.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Hey All!

Really enjoyed the show last night!
Getting ready for another great night tonight!

I have created a Flickr gallery of my photos from last night. Took 224 but got them down to 65 or so. Hope you enjoy. Wasn't able to get my DSLR in so these were taken on my Nikon Coolpix 4300. Man, I still love that camera!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevorconn ... 341660077/

Enjoy all and see you tonight!
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

northern wave wrote:
daaave wrote:good show lastnight. i was standing at the righthand side of the sbd. i dont remember seeing any fight, but then again, i was too busy watching the stage. met a few people from here lastnight which was cool. see ya tonight.
it was on the left side...a thousand bouncers jumped in quickly, so it thankfully didn't develop into much beyond a couple of drunks trying to land a punch.

I missed most of fly due to those stupid antics then having one of the combatants explaining to me what had happened. I broke up that fight, there was no security is sight Northern, they came about 2 minutes later and "that guy" was pointed out and taken away! Here's to tonight!
kulpie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

tickets for tonight??? anyone...

Post by kulpie »

I'm looking for a single ticket as the wife has given me a green light again!

Anyone, anyone...ideas? I went by the Phoenix but noone there and last night I bought off a scalper for a silly amount 5 songs into the show.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Cheers, Edward.
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

anothersaab wrote:
robert goulet wrote: Nice instrument review...you certainly are an observant one....the "Old Les Paul" is more than likely a Gibson SG.
i was thinking it might've been a 335? double cutouts wouldn't work on an SG ;)
northern wave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by northern wave »

hip wrote:
northern wave wrote:

I missed most of fly due to those stupid antics then having one of the combatants explaining to me what had happened. I broke up that fight, there was no security is sight Northern, they came about 2 minutes later and "that guy" was pointed out and taken away! Here's to tonight!
Sorry, That was you..oh, I thought you were a bouncer...I guess "quickly" wasn't the right word for the rest of them, you're right, they did take awhile to get there, my bad, and they all showed up at once...nothing like security that arrives when it's all over with.
elliot g
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by elliot g »

The guitar Paul's got there is a Les Paul Jr. Doublecut, likely a custom shop model or a real 1958.
GBV
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by GBV »

from the sun...3.5 stars:

Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto - October 22, 2006

New material highlighted

By JANE STEVENSON -- Toronto Sun

A veteran group playing new material in concert is always a dodgy proposition.

Never mind the entire album.

But you’d think notoriously devoted Tragically Hip fans would have gotten on board as their beloved band played the first of four soldout shows last night at the Phoenix in suppport of their barely weekold new disc, World Container.

Instead, the Canrock veterans, who hail from Kingston had to work hard to win over the 1,000 or so gathered in the intimate setting almost every time they brought out a new tune.

So for every barnburning old favourite like 50 Mission Cap, Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin’ Man, Nautical Disaster, Ahead By A Century, Wheat Kings, and Blow At High Dough — which all prompted enthusiastic singalongs — there was uncharacteristic stillness during many of the new songs.

Notable exceptions proved to be the concert-opening The Lonely End Of The Rink, the new album’s poppy first single, In View, Luv (Sic), Fly, Yer Not The Ocean, and Family Band, all driven by Rob Baker’s distinctive guitar playing and Gord Downie’s wailing vocals.

And some quieter, more reflective tunes like Bobcaygeon, the title track from World Container and the new tune Pretend, all deserved and got a more reserved response.

As usual, Downie proved to be a twitching, feverish frontman in head-totoe black, save for a red handkerchief which he waved behind him like a rooster’s tail or beside him like a matador’s cape.

By the end of the group’s hour-and-50-minute set, Downie was a sweaty, happy madman who praised “music lovers” for turning up.

Before the band, rounded out by drummer Johnny Fay, rhythm guitarist Paul Langlois and bassist Gord Sinclair, even took the stage fans were chanting, “Hip! Hip! Hip!” And upstairs on the catwalk it was a who’s who of sports personalities with Dave Hodge (TSN), Martine Gaillard (Rogers Sportsnet) and Kathryn Humphreys (City TV) all showing their appreciation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tragically Hip's Rob Baker and Paul Langlois joined us for a live chat to talk about their new disc, World Container. Read the full transcript here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hip play at the Phoenix tonight, Wednesday and Thursday nights before heading west to play four nights each in Calgary and Vancouver, and then head back for two more nights in Montreal.

The band is expected to launch a cross-Canada arena tour early next year and hopefully by that time, fans will be well-acquainted with World Container, a slight departure in sound with both slicker and poppier tunes produced by Bob Rock.

More Concert Reviews
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

beanmedic wrote:
anothersaab wrote:
robert goulet wrote: Nice instrument review...you certainly are an observant one....the "Old Les Paul" is more than likely a Gibson SG.
i was thinking it might've been a 335? double cutouts wouldn't work on an SG ;)
That's a Les Paul alright. However to address the double cut Gibson SG issue that 'anothersaab' mentioned, check out these models which all feature the double cutout SG's http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonEl ... 0Specials/

Nice photo btw Bean!
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

I also have my pics up from last night on Flickr, not trying to steal MS Eldorado's thunder or anything :thumb:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66226016@N00/

Pics from Guelph are also there. My photos have also been added to the main Hip group, like Chris suggested.
DisHarmony
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by DisHarmony »

I was wondering what was going on behind me last night. I was almost center in front of the soundboard.

I figured that standing back there, I would get less drunken idiots but I was wrong. It was a great show but can someone explain to me why the tall guys always stand in front of the girl? And they just stand there! I was bopping away through the whole show. One guy had the decency to pull his friend over a bit because he could see that I was really into it but then another just stepped right in there.[/end rant]

Great show, and I love what they did with In View. On the Verge was fantastic. Can't wait for the new year....
beanmedic
Completist
Completist

Post by beanmedic »

robert goulet wrote:
beanmedic wrote:
anothersaab wrote: i was thinking it might've been a 335? double cutouts wouldn't work on an SG ;)
That's a Les Paul alright. However to address the double cut Gibson SG issue that 'anothersaab' mentioned, check out these models which all feature the double cutout SG's http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonEl ... 0Specials/

Nice photo btw Bean!
I knew it wasn't an SG because it said 'Les Paul' on it. :thumb:

And it's not my photo - see here...
Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Hey All!

Really enjoyed the show last night!
Getting ready for another great night tonight!

I have created a Flickr gallery of my photos from last night. Took 224 but got them down to 65 or so. Hope you enjoy. Wasn't able to get my DSLR in so these were taken on my Nikon Coolpix 4300. Man, I still love that camera!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevorconn ... 341660077/

Enjoy all and see you tonight!
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Mr. Lahey wrote:I also have my pics up from last night on Flickr, not trying to steal MS Eldorado's thunder or anything :thumb:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66226016@N00/

Pics from Guelph are also there. My photos have also been added to the main Hip group, like Chris suggested.
You got some great shots too!
Thanks for sharing!
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

I did a search but I don't think anyone posted this one yet...

Tragically Hip: New album, fab show
BRAD WHEELER

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

THE REP

The arena band from Kingston, Ont., hasn't been cool in a while, its wild popularity in Canada working against it in the hearts and minds of those who show no love for music's Goliaths. But then, the band's last albums have been relatively unsuccessful. The overdog is now the underdog, with a new record that is thought to be its best in years. Can the Hip -- members of the Canadian Music Hall of Fame -- now gain the favour of the oh-so musically savvy?

THE LOOK

Singer Gordon Downie, the band's crucial and tall performer, feels "feverish and fluid." He is jittery and on the verge, with a reedy tenor that is intense and a manner that is gesturing. Not known as fashionable, he wears clothes that could be seen as either workmanlike or mod, black from cap to shoes. A red handkerchief, employed as a bullfighter's cape or more often as a sweat rag, is the sole decoration. Four bandmates play fiercely, but don't distinguish themselves visually.

THE ROCK

Sunday's appearance at the Phoenix Concert Theatre is the first of four sold-out Toronto shows, the smaller venue part of a promotional tour that heralds World Container, the band's 11th studio album. The disc is a departure -- the melodies are less muscled, the sound more layered. The album's Queen-like title track comes off as brawny cabaret, and Pretend is downright Burt Bacharach. Other new ones include power-pop single In View and the urgent show-opening The Lonely End of the Rink. After hockey-themed oldie Fifty-Mission Cap, hosers yell, "Go Leafs Go," to which Downie responds, "They held a rock 'n' roll show and a hockey game broke out."

THE REALITY

After the uber-blues of Blow at High Dough, the droning rocker Family Band closes the set. The song speaks to the band's camaraderie, as well as its relationship with its fans. At times, the stage lights extend into the crowd, showing wide grins and gladness from ball-capped and jersey-clad supporters who wouldn't wish to be anywhere else. Downie sings about music that plays big in the towns but fails to grip the cities, referring perhaps to metropolitan audiences who prefer buzz-music trends to homegrown stalwarts and maple-leaf nationalism. Band and audience -- exhilarated all evening -- exit beaming and grateful. Is this hip? No, just enduring and genuine. The Tragically Hip continue at the Phoenix tonight and tomorrow, with dates in Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal to follow.

link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ter_newsUp