2006-10-23 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Wow! What an awesome show. As Trevor and I were approaching the venue, we were joking about "Why are we coming to all four shows?"

When the intro notes of Pigeon Camera were played, I looked to him and said, "This is why!"

This was an excellent show from start to finish. M@W and NOIS were both awesome - the best version of NOIS that I've heard that didn't include a rant/Nautical Disaster; by far!

And for the third Toronto show in a row, the crowd was much better behaved with next to no pushing or "I just need to get to my friends at the front!" claims. I stood in front of Sinclair with one person between me and the barrier and only once did the drunks behind us push forward - and that was only to keep themselves upright - instead they just stood and sang, and spilled their beer.

But back to the show discussion, Wow! Another great show with some Hip friends.

Hugh23 was at the show, and will be posting a "Hugh's Review" I'm sure - he was really working the notes during the show, as always.

Great to meet a bunch of new Hipbaser's; looking forward to Wednesday.

-----

Now for my weird dream:
Ricky started selling bootlegs of Hip concerts - bootlegs that he downloaded from the tracker. He had a copy of "That Night in Toronto" and he photocopied the cover and then wrote in with a sharpie whatever city the show was from.

The next thing I know, George is trying to arrest me for aiding and abetting Ricky!

-----

I guess this is the result of a TTH + TPB.

sean.bonner wrote:I find it really bizarre how they have played the entire album two nights in a row... but at least all the other songs have been completely different these two nights. Great reviews, guys.
Three consecutive concerts including the Horseshoe.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

Ya Chris that version of NOIS was cool... they slowed it down as if Gord was going to do a rant... then he started kinda speaking some words... then I realized it was the NOIS lyrics.... he was just giving them the light treatment.... real nice.

That red bandanna has become quite the staple lately too!

I was at the back so only a couple simple pics for this one.
http://picasaweb.google.com/thecompleti ... xOct232006
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Hey Guys!

Well I have had some much needed sleep to ponder last nights show! I still come up with the same conclusion...WOW!

I won't reiterate too much of what has been said already but everything that has been posted thus far is spot on: The band was tight, the setlist was great, the crowd was awesome and the friends were even better. It's always great to get to a venue and see so many familiar faces. The time before the show waiting seems to just fly by!

To the guys and girls that I enjoyed that amazing show with (and you know who you are!!): I am sorry that I left without saying goodbye! It got kinda crazy at the front with the TPB's came out on stage and I guess I was still a little in shock by my recent gift from Johnny....yes, that's right folks, Johnny handed me (yeah me) his sticks last night after the show! What a wonderful gift!

I took another whack of pictures that I will try and filter through today. Hopefully have something up a little later.

Anyways, I await Hugh's powerful review and cannot wait for Wednesday!

Cheers all!
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

2 words...Gord, vocals :thumb:
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

sean.bonner wrote:I find it really bizarre how they have played the entire album two nights in a row... but at least all the other songs have been completely different these two nights. Great reviews, guys.
You really find it bizarre? That's the whole point of these shows -- to show off the album, and mix in some combo of hits and unplucked gems.

I think it's fantastic -- I've x-ed off an entire album now. The only album I've heard live in its entirety. (pretty close on TATH and PP, but never heard Let's Stay Engaged or The Rules).

ct
crazykid
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by crazykid »

You guys are pumping me up for Wednesday night already... great reviews.. I cant wait.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Chris Tanz wrote:I think it's fantastic
Couldn't agree with you more Chris!
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

With every review I read mentioning Pigeon Camera was played, it's like a dagger to my heart :(... WHY DIDN"T I GET TICKETS FOR ALL SHOWS?!?!!

I'm happy for all of you though. Sounds like it was amazing. I don't care what my wife says the next time they play 4 shows at the phoenix... I'm going ot them ALL!!!
nstaples
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by nstaples »

so, I made the mistake of checking out the soundboard. To my surprise the entire setklist was posted for the sound guy. I tried really hard not to look but could not help myself. The first song that my eyes picked up was "Pigeon Camera"... I couldn't beleive what I was seeing!!

Anyways ....killer show. The boys are tight and Gord sounds awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow night. This time I won't be going near the soundboard....its better when its a surprise.
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

The Phoenix Theatre was filled with excited Hip fans anticipating the 9 pm start of a nearly two hour rock show. The temperature was quickly rising along with "The Hip" chants, as our boys from Kingston took to the stage to play every song from their new album. The new tracks were intertwined with many long time favorites. Fans old and new, were singing along to many of the new tracks, but the seldom played Pigeon Camera and Titanic Terrarium were the suprises of the night.

The show started with Family Band and went into the classic Courage. Gord battered his mikestand back and forth throughout the song, finally sending it crashing to the floor. He then walked over to the dislodged mike, grabbed it between his feet and used a common soccer move to kick the mike backwards over his shoulder and into his hand. A few songs later Gord asked the crowd if anyone remembered Gus as he roamed from side to side on the stage like an angry polar bear, just before the song began. This was followed by Poets and an animated Downie who strutted back and forth like a rooster/peacock, fluttering his red handkerchief behind him like a tail. Gord ended the song by holding the base of his mikestand to his crotch and extended it like a giant penis out over the crowd. The fans responded by screaming wildly at him.

The Hip are always a hard working band, but I noticed that each band member's shirt was as sweat-soaked as Gord Downie's this night. The 100th Meridian was awesome as Gord danced wildly next to Robbie as he ripped through his solo for that song. I was impressed by Johnny Fay's drumming all night, but he was more than exceptional on Titanic Terrarium. Johnny brought the song to a loud cresendo and back to a quiet beat with his drumming. He was switching back and forth between his regular drumsticks and his padded toms. In fact, the song ended with him using one of each.

The Hip played a 20 song main set, then returned for a two song encore which ended with Fire in the Hole. Gord D. is always very entertaining to watch because of his on stage antics and the emotion he puts into the delivery of his lyrics. During the last song, he did something I have never seen him do before. We are all familiar with his mikestand battles and how he deftly kicks it back and forth. Last night he "stickhandled" the mikestand using only his feet. The mikestand was just like a hockey stick as he manuvered it from side to side, never losing control for over a minute, never touching it with his hands!

Overall this was a great show. I really enjoyed how all the World Container tracks sounded great live. It seemed as if the band really enjoyed playing them. It was also good to see all the fans singing along to all the new songs less than one week after the new release.
kulpie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by kulpie »

After a couple year hiatis from seeing the Hip it has now been 2 nights in a row for moi - and I am definately going on Wednesday!

The crowd last night was really into it and the spirit was unbelievable! Titanic Terrarium was just fantastic. And Family Band is becoming a fave for me - Great opener!

So after posting my very brief review from show one, 'the completist' welcomed me to this board...and then, by coincidence, I met him last night before the show - right after I bought a ducat from a scalper (he had an extra that I could have purchased from him). Only point here is that it is a small world and that the hipbase is obviouly a great community filled with good people - Amazing that a band can bring us life loving people together!

OK, enuf of the sappiness; I too, heard they were going to be playing Pigeon Camera and would also have liked the surprise but it did not diminish it one bit - I have a copy of a live version from years ago and last night they were spot on - the memory of that tune live last night will saty with me forever!

Looking forward to Wednesday and meeting a few more Hip and music lovers!

Cheers, Edward.
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

probably just coincidence, but i thought it was funny to see gord, near the end of the show, gesture as if he were smoking a cigarette and then bending over and putting it out all the while staring out of the corner of his eye up to the small balcony above the washroom entrance where everyone up there was smoking, kinda thought gord was mocking them or trying to tell them something since smoking is band and people get fined.
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

nstaples wrote:so, I made the mistake of checking out the soundboard. To my surprise the entire setklist was posted for the sound guy. I tried really hard not to look but could not help myself. The first song that my eyes picked up was "Pigeon Camera"... I couldn't beleive what I was seeing!!
I saw the setlist on monday for the board guy, but looked away as fast I could and never looked back, part of the fun is always wondering "what could be next" ?
Last edited by hip on Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

daaave wrote:probably just coincidence, but i thought it was funny to see gord, near the end of the show, gesture as if he were smoking a cigarette and then bending over and putting it out all the while staring out of the corner of his eye up to the small balcony above the washroom entrance where everyone up there was smoking, kinda thought gord was mocking them or trying to tell them something since smoking is band and people get fined.
Early during the set, the bouncers removed a couple from behind/beside us for smoking. I was surprised that nothing was done about the gang on the walkway.
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

Wow! Excellent setlist. :D I'd love to hear Pigeon Camera live.

I hope everyone had a good time. I'm very jealous.