2006-10-25 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I ended up having the opportunity to go last night so I jumped on it. So glad I did too. Last night I was much closer to the stage than Monday.

What more can I say on top of what others have already said? Great set list. Long Time Running was awesome, so was Twist my Arm and Little Bones. I'm not normally a fan of Tiger the Lion, but last night I really appreciated the music behind it. Again, the new stuff rocked.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

AWESOME SHOW!! One of the best setlists for a die-hard you'll ever see. Awesome to meet you Mike (hip), thanks again for the brew, and Colin too. Also nice to see Owen as well (O.N.) among many other hipbasers.

I decided to stand at the back for this show near the bar. We were a bit elevated so it was easy to see over everyone and get a great view. The sound was just so much better at the back too. I could actually hear all of Gord's word. Yawning and So Hard Done By were highlights for me last night. I still can't believe not one repeat from the older material in 3 shows. If they keep this up tonight, I think we'll all be very shocked at what we hear.

Good luck getting a ticket Mike. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for anything.

Oh ya, and to the ladies who we offered to stand in front of us because they were so short; thanks for the beers. I think Mike mentioned hipbase to the short blonde on her way out. With any luck, she might make a stop in at the site.

I'm feeling a few oldies tonight. I'm thinking Pistols, Boots and maybe even Greasy. See ya'll tonigt.

Jamie
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

really good show lastnight. not sure what to expect tonight, but im sure its going to top the last three.
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

Were any of you NOT as impressed by the band as you have been at other shows?

I mean the setlist was crazy, and the band was still much better than any other bands out there, but to me, compared to other Hip shows I've been to, and especially the other ones this week, they seemed out of it.

Gordie really seemed out of it especially in the first half of the show. Not as much dancing and ranting and all that. For one song, I think maybe it was Fly, his guitar tech came to bring him his acoustic and he just made a motion as if he was too lazy to use it and he just wanted to do the song without it.

Also there were a couple tech problems, guitars missing que, and in the into to LTR Johnny completely missed his intro hits.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chris wrote:
SirMatticus wrote:Tonight was the single greatest night for me as a Hip fan! I'll be running into many of you tomorrow night so I'll give you the details then.

Matt
Matt... you can't leave us hanging like that! Tell us more.
I think Matt must have stayed for the afterparty!!
nstaples
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by nstaples »

I would have to say that the setlist was for die hard fans, so I really enjoyed it. I brought a Hip virgin last night and although he said he really liked it I don't think the setlist was for new recruits. I myself was blown away as I got to hear some real gems. I was really excited when I heard "Save the Planet" but I wasn't expecting it to be the closer.

I wish I had tickets for tonight as I think this could be the best show ... as anything is possible. Oh well , 2 out of 4 ain't bad.
Gibie
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Gibie »

Wow... wicked concert... I loved every minute up it, TIGER was great. The people up at the front left were great.... everyone rocking out and having a blast... great to see them in such a small venue, really shows they care about their fans!!!!!!!!!!

Mav, was that you on the balcony at the left snapping all the photos?
lilbones
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by lilbones »

As for the new songs, Rink, Drop off and Family Band seemed to get the most out of the crowd.

Especially The Drop off. It's sorta like when Bobby talks about in the documentary about how that part in Blow makes everybody jump. There's the same sort of enthusiasm, I guess to a lesser degree, that Drop off seems to spawn. That song is just filthy.
googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

I was standing by a group of 4 short girls dancing like crazy the whole show. There were actually a lot of people dancing around them, but not getting in the way that bad. Kind of in the middle-left a little way back. Anyone around there?
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
chris wrote:
SirMatticus wrote:Tonight was the single greatest night for me as a Hip fan! I'll be running into many of you tomorrow night so I'll give you the details then.

Matt
Matt... you can't leave us hanging like that! Tell us more.
I think Matt must have stayed for the afterparty!!

I'm curious too!! Let's hear it Matt?
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

Great show last night, incredible setlist. I finally got to see Yawning or Snarling live. So Hard Done By, Tiger the Lion and Save the Planet were excellent. I brought someone who had never seen the hip live before and she loved the show. Unfortunately a couple of drunk morons came over to our area about half way through the show and proceeded to chant "Apple Road" and thought Yawning or Snarling was Springtime in Vienna, but I didnt let it ruin the evening. Anyways, can't wait for tonight, see y'all there.
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

BDS28 wrote:For one song, I think maybe it was Fly, his guitar tech came to bring him his acoustic and he just made a motion as if he was too lazy to use it and he just wanted to do the song without it.
He never plays guitar on Fly.... the guitar tech probably screwed up.

Nick
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

nhaste wrote:
BDS28 wrote:For one song, I think maybe it was Fly, his guitar tech came to bring him his acoustic and he just made a motion as if he was too lazy to use it and he just wanted to do the song without it.
He never plays guitar on Fly.... the guitar tech probably screwed up.

Nick
then it could have been another song. who knows... he did seem off last night though, especially the first half of the show... my buddies all noticed it too.
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

For sure it was one of the best setlists for die hards like me and my 3 friends that went last night. There is talk about retiring our hip jerseys and making this our last concert, cause folks, you cant get any better then that ..wow! It was well worth the wait!!

So hard, Yawning and Tiger i dont believe have been played in 6 years since the evening with tours, and the songs sounded as tight as ever tonight. Another strong point was fully. Gord laid down on the ground before the last verse and didnt get up, he just put his feet up on the monitors and belted out "bring me back in shackles...." all i could see were his feet twitching in the air, great moment in a great moment packed night for sure.

Gord had some great moments with the mic and mic stand again last night, something i really didnt see in the summer fling tour. He must of kicked the stand at least 6 times with it going down, and of course arguing that its just a mircophone stand, not a man.

The new songs sound amazing, family band , ocean, drop off, luv sic are great rockers for sure.

There was a couple dedications which i havent seen in a long time. Tiger the lion was dedicated to tony....and there one or two more that slips my mind right now.. I always wonder if some lucky guy is in the back with the band requesting songs or if its just gord dedicating songs to the crew.