2006-10-26 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Great show.... again.

A couple of notes - Gord dedicated 38 Years Old to Mike "This one's for Mike. He's not a killer. But he would kill if he had to!" And he changed the lines slightly during 38 Years Old: he changed it from being a first person story, ie. held back the curtains for his older brother Mike.

As well, the microphone and the microphone stand are two characters now. The microphone is a woman, and the stand is a man. Gord cursed out the stand for letting go of the microphone - "He just a man, and he thinks he can just let her go whenever he wants. What the f**k? f**k!!!!"

Another highlight was how well behaved the crowd was. Again. I was just left of centre, second row and didn't have a single jackass try to push his or her way through me to the front.
chives
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chives »

Classic set again. I have to say although Pretend is a great song both studio and live, they might think about dropping it, it really killed the flow, and I really didn't notice anyone interested in the song. Should have played Last Night I....Great part of the show was when Gord walked backwards and bumped into the mic stand, and he threw his hands up in the air as if he had a gun pointed in his back. After about 30 seconds, he turned around and noticed it was just the mic stand..."oh, its just you...haha" Classic stuff. Yes a well behaved crowd, but I still can't figure out why people actually walk around during a show. People walking around, trying to get better views I guess?? Just sit still will you? All in all, a great show, great set list and a great band..
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

AWESOME TIME LAST NIGHT!!! Sirmatticus himself ended up with Johnny's sticks, Emperor Penguin got the setlist which I called in to Jeffro right after the show.

Good to see that Mike (hip) got himself in again. Too bad about having to shell out so much but It was worth it for a few of those gems we heard last night.

I wish I was flying out West tomorrow because I can't seem to get enough.

Only 3 more months until the next show.

Have a safe trip Slogs.

Jamie
Zenith
Completist
Completist

Post by Zenith »

chris wrote:As well, the microphone and the microphone stand are two characters now. The microphone is a woman, and the stand is a man. Gord cursed out the stand for letting go of the microphone - "He just a man, and he thinks he can just let her go whenever he wants. What the f**k? f**k!!!!"
:lol: Excellent! I always look forward to the 'Microphone Stand' rants. :D
anothersaab
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by anothersaab »

"You're supposed to watch out for her! Where the f**k were you? f**k!!!!!'

awesome.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

anothersaab wrote:"You're supposed to watch out for her! Where the f**k were you? f**k!!!!!'

awesome.
Yeah that came right after Gord did one of this patented mike leans and the microphone feel out onto the floor. Gord chased it down, got back up and started reaming the microphone stand out!

Classic!
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

Chris Tanz wrote:Well, crunching the numbers, he's what I see to be the potential older material for tonight, with my guesses marked with an asterisk:

Up to Here Potentials -- Boots or Hearts*; 38 Years Old; Opiated
Road Apples Potentials -- The Luxury, Three Pistols*, The Last of the Unplucked Gems*
Fully Completely Potentials -- Lionized, Locked in the Trunk of a Car*, We'll Go Too
Day for Night Potentials -- Grace Too*, Daredevil*, Greasy Jungle
Trouble at the Henhouse Potentials -- Don't Wake Daddy*, Flamenco, Sherpa
Phantom Power Potentials -- Something On*, Emperor Penguin
Music@Work Potentials -- Putting Down*, Stay
In Violet Light Potentials -- Are You Ready, The Darkest One, Silver Jet*
In Between Evolution Potentials -- Heaven is a Better Place Today*
Well, they played 7 of my 11 asterisked songs and 10 of the 24 songs I identified as potentials. That's not too shabby. The only two I missed were Blow and Bobcaygeon, and they cheated by repeating those from Sunday night.

ct
SirMatticus
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by SirMatticus »

3 Pistols and Locked have always been two of my favorites. Add to them all the other classics and you get another phenomenal setlist.

I honestly can’t believe everything that has happened this week:

Horseshoe Tavern, Phoenix x 4, meeting the band, Johnny handing me his sticks… I'm still shaking my head in disbelief over everything.

It was great to share these experiences with all of you.
emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by emperor penguin »

INCREDIBLE night!!!!!! amazing setlist, great spot in the crowd, great to see alot of hipbasers again, no drunk morons pushing everyone around, I dont think it can get any better than last night. Hard to pick a highlight because the entire show was so great. Gord was definately on the top of his game for sure with the microphone stand rant. And getting the setlist was awesome. Thank you to The Tragically Hip, and all the people I met and talked to last night. Can't wait untill Barrie.
sadohert
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by sadohert »

Wow... I'm spun... upside down and inside out. I don't know what do with myself. The whole onslaught last night has left me tattered... beaten... broken. I wasn't at the other shows this week, so I can't compare, but last night has easily launched itself into being of my my top two shows. There were 3 rookies in our party of 8 last night, and THEY were all RAVING aobut the show after the fact. We were all dancing and singing and rippin' it up hard!!! Old tunes, new tunes, big tunes, chill tunes, microphone antics... I can't get over how low down dirty the tracks get when you see them live! They just rip my guts out and stuff them back in through my ears. There was some girl near us who was out for her birthday, Hip rookie as well, and I'm pretty sure she was feelin' the show the way we were.

Man... thank god I have this forum to spew my ravings onto, or I'd be one pent up hipfan.

Oh yeah, Phoenix was a killer venue too...I'm baffled... still baffled.

What's my name again?!?!
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

I can't waittttt

Post by VioletLite »

Ooooooooooooooh I am sooooooooo excited for next weekend!! I need to stop reading these reviews and try to calm down a bit!!! I hope 'Last night I dreamed' is back on for the show on Nov 4. I am dying to see it live. Nonetheless, they could sing 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' and I would leave happy........ :mrgreen:
All I'm hearin' is youuuuuuuu
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Hi All,

Well the last of my 4-show run at the Phoenix is over but not without first posting the pics!!! Sorry it took longer than it has normally for me to post them, today was quite busy at work.

Go here to have a gander: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevorconn ... 347575828/

Thanks for looking!
Trevor
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Hi All,

Well the last of my 4-show run at the Phoenix is over but not without first posting the pics!!! Sorry it took longer than it has normally for me to post them, today was quite busy at work.

Go here to have a gander: http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevorconn ... 347575828/

Thanks for looking!
Trevor
Great pictures as always Trevor! Rob must have taken the braids out of his hair right before going on stage.... :lol:
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

srb wrote:
Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for looking!
Trevor
Great pictures as always Trevor! Rob must have taken the braids out of his hair right before going on stage.... :lol:
:lol: :lol: I thought that as well as his hair was all still crimped and everything. Too funny!

Thanks for the compliments Scott! You missed one heck of a show!
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Man-Sized Eldorado wrote:
:lol: :lol: I thought that as well as his hair was all still crimped and everything. Too funny!

Thanks for the compliments Scott! You missed one heck of a show!
Yeah I know, but I saw 3 great ones too.....can't complain :thumb: