2006-10-26 - Toronto, ON - Phoenix Concert Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

googolplex
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by googolplex »

Man, I totally should have gone to this show.
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by thecompletist »

googolplex wrote:Man, I totally should have gone to this show.
You and I and a few other Hipbasers...

It's obvious they may be dropping "Last Night..'; - gone from setlist 2 night in a row...

And as for the "Save The Planet" last night encore... I'd take that instead of Heaven.... any show... they can pack that one away for awhile.
Last edited by thecompletist on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
under_pressure
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by under_pressure »

Wow! Nice setlist! 38 Years Old and Sherpa! Would of enjoyed seeing those, although Night 2 (I think it was Night 2) was probably my favourite setlist. Pigeon Camera!!

And yeah, it does seem like they're dropping Last Night. I don't mind that, it's the only song from the album I'm not a huge fan of. It just seems pretty tacky to me. And I like In View.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

killer set, i wish i had gone to this show
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

Just got in. Setlist is accurate--just flip the last two songs (it went Locked, then Family). "38 Years Old" was a shock (duh), and the place went nuts when it started. Epic versions of "Grace" and "Gems" (the battle with the microphone stand resumes!). "Blow" blew away the version from Sunday, and thank GOD it was played instead of "No Threat" (imo, anyway). New songs are growing in stature, and I think "The Kids Don't Get It" is the undisputed king of the new stuff in a live venue--it's frigging titanic, man. Very, very, very good show tonight. I still can't believe I've just seen the Hip twice at the PHOENIX. Can't wait for others' views! wOOt!

Steve
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

Well at least now I don't feel as bad about not being able to go tonight...don't get me wrong the setlist was fantastic, but last night I got 4 songs that I'd never seen live before (so hard done by, save the planet, twist my arm, and LTR), whereas tonight it doesn't look like there would have been any for me. I was dreading coming on here and reading that they played had Emperor Penguin...if I had missed that I would've had to throw myself off my balcony or something!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

Was at all 4... I'd say Wednesday was the best. Not that tonight's show wasn't great, but all of the older songs except Pistols and Locked were played during the Summer Fling Tour. Last night we got 2 songs that hadn't been played since 2000 (Yawning and Tiger), and So Hard and Planet have only been played a couple of times since 2000.

There were some great singalongs tonight (notably during Grace and Blow).

Nick
daaave
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by daaave »

i have no idea what night to pick as my favourite, but i do know that getting to see all four shows was one of the best experiences ive had.
hip
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hip »

Wow, 38 again, that was great, but nothing beats the first time! No Threat is amazing live, too bad they dropped it from the list! If you get to hear it out west, you are in for a big treat! $120 from a scalp to get in, it was worth it, 3 pistols never fails to bore you! I like the fact they bring out a killer for the second song, probably to get the crowd pumped! I think the Hip would benefit more from having killer encores, Heaven doesn't belong there! We all have our own opinions and personal favs but I think majority would agree.

Overall for all 4 shows, it has been a blast! The music sounds tight, and Gord's voice sounds as good as it can! The upcoming gigs will be sweet, the crowd really gets into in view at every show. Luvsic is SIC, and drop off lives on the stage! Lionized was performed as well as it could be tonight, very well done! Grace was powerful tonight and I think that is when Bobby lit it up! Nice to see Gord still has a little faith in the crowd supplying some lyrics as the crickets sang the last verse of wheat kings on sunday! The Hip are live music and long live them and their shows, looking forward to the stadium tour!

Mike
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

great show, great setlist.

sherpa was powerful... a hilight for me.
38 years old was cool as all hell.
gems was long and jammy and cool.
lionized and pistols - classic rockers that will never dissapoint.

good on the hip for giving us a variety of old songs over these 4 shows and for rocking the new tunes are hard as they did.

even after 1200km of driving in a week and a half and 3 shows... febuary still can't come soon enough.

thanks boys.
anothersaab
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by anothersaab »

wow, what a f*cking show! not much else to say... very cool at the Phoenix tonight, everyone was in order. the workers were out on the QEW and no one noticed. the volume was loud and crisp, the front was calm and the back was collected.

and, to come home and see my 'Bres went 10-0! what a day, what a day...

highlights:
38 Years Old
Rink as the opener made me well up under the eyelids, that shit is powerful
Family Band
Pistols was tough as f*ck
anothersaab
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by anothersaab »

i swear too much after i see the Hip...
Gotcha
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

great show

Post by Gotcha »

Ive been to a lot of great hip shows and I have to admit tonight was one of my top3 easily..

What a show...

Highlights for me were-

Sherpa, Unplucked Gems, 3 pistols, Ocean to say a few,

wow...
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

hopefully they will play no threat in calgary on saturday as thats the only show i can make it to, would love to hear it live
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
tragicallysteve
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by tragicallysteve »

anothersaab wrote:i swear too much after i see the Hip...
I DO TOO!!!!

I thought I was the only one, but apparently I'm not alone.