2006-10-29 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
Last edited by mrlayance on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thug_in_perpetuity
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by thug_in_perpetuity »

Can't believe I missed out on Fiddler's Green.

I hope they do NOT play it tonight, it would take away from the experience of those in attendance.

I would like to hear 1 of the following tonight (In order, starting with most desired)

ANOTHER MIDNIGHT
Last American Exit
She Didn't know
38 yrs old
eldorado
pigeon camera
yawning or snarling
Kamloops Feb '95 ~ ARA Vancouver July '95 ~ Calgary Nov '96 ~ ARA Vancouver July '97 ~ Calgary (both shows) March '99 ~ Red Deer March '99
Calgary Nov '00 ~ Calgary (both shows) Sep '02 ~ Kelowna Aug '03 ~ Calgary Nov '04 - Calgary (2 of the 4 Mac Hall Shows) Oct '06
Kelowna July '07 ~ Penticton Aug '09 - Ottawa Sept '09 - Victoria July '12 - Vancouver (2nd Show) July '16
- Calgary (2nd Show) Aug '16
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

just got back from the show. this was going to be my night off but i picked up some cheap tickets this afternoon. nothing as shocking as fiddlers last night but a few old gems. in order of release this is what was played:

blow at high dough
little bones
three pistols
long time running
at the hundredth meridian
thugs
scared
flamenco
poets
it's a good life if you don't weaken
gus: the polar bear from central park

plus all of world container
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Ok, I guess I'm the first one back, so I'll report what I remember...

They played all of World Container tonight, along with.....
Pistols
Dough...
Bones...closed the show perfectly
Scared
Flamenco
THUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poets
Long time Running..amazing rendition
100th Meridian
Gus
IAGLIYDW

I'm sure it won't be long for a proper setlist to appear..Amazing show altogether, not Quite like last night, but hopefully Wed will be even better.

As for Monday, I still have a couple of extra tickets to get rid of...
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

I thought it was a great show too. I really wanted to hear escape is @ hand, as I've only heard them play it live once (and I don't remember it because it was on the TATH tour and I didn't know the song) and it's my favourite tune, but flamenco made up for it. They better play escape tomorrow (the 30th); I'm going to make a sign because I need to hear that song!! I really liked 100th Meridian tonight; it had a really good jam in it and I thought Gord's frantic singing was great. I also thought Last Night I Dreamed... was pretty good live. I don't care too much for it on the album, but maybe that will change now. I never liked Fire in the Hole much, but when I heard it live I was won over and now it's one of my favourite tunes on DFN. It was great to see the Hip in a smaller venue and I thought the sound was good. Rob's guitar could have been a bit louder but that was a minor issue for me. This is easily one of the best shows I've seen them play; I really like the mix of songs that they seem to be playing on this tour - touching on all their albums. I'm looking foward to tomorrow night!
Last edited by Escape@Hand on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

Real good show, once again the band was extremely tight. Gord was really on fire tongiht, more animated than I have seen him in a very long time. It was nice to see a longer jam in the middle of 100th. During it, Gord had some issues with his mic and/or stand and he slammed it into the stage. Another mic was brought out, but I think there were also some issues...all in all it made for a more prolonged 100th. Scared was real nice to hear. They hit Fly much better than they did last night. Kids rocked the place again...might have been my favorite of the night.

All in all, it was a great show, but it last nights takes the prize for me.

Even though I don't have tickets (can't afford them, it's not for lack of want) I may just come sit outside the Mac Hall entrance and listen to tommorw nights show. I noticed a few dudes who were doing this, and why not. The volume would be great and there are comfy seats there. We'll see...one of the buddies I was with said he'd do it with me in a heartbeat.

BigA, Mark, Bauer...pleasure to meet you guys!
gambler
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by gambler »

Tonight's setlist, in order:

1. Yer Not The Ocean
2. Three Pistols
3. In View
4. It's A Good Life
5. The Drop Off
6. Gus
7. Poets
8. Thugs
9. Luv(sic)
10. Long Time Running
11. Pretend
12. 100th Meridian
13. Flamenco
14. Fly
15. The Kids Don't Get It
16. Scared
17. Family Band
18. Blow At High Dough
19. The Lonely End Of The Rink
---
20. Last Night I Dreamed
21. World Container
22. Little Bones

A big bonus was getting to hear everything from WC. The songs were pretty damn tight, and sounded good. In View just isn't the same w/out the keyboards... yes, the guitars are good, but the keyboards are the hook that make that song so damn catchy. Ocean is a good opener, better than I thought it would be, but still doesn't have the same impact that Rink does. Every time I hear Kids and Drop Off, they move up on my list of faves from the album. WC was okay, but I'm not sure it belongs in an encore. Last Night is a sweet song - everything in it just goes so well. As for Pretend... well, I think it would be great on a Gord solo album, but I'm really not sold on its place in WC.

It'll be interesting to see the arena shows, once the radio fans have had a chance to mull over another single or two, and maybe give the album a few more listens. I was really, really surprised by the number of 'younger' (not necessarily a reflection on age) fans in the audience - people who seemed way more familiar with the newer albums. There was one girl beside me who looked to be in her mid 20's who was belting out Last Night like the world was coming to an end, but then developed a vacant glaze when Little Bones came on. Don't construe this as being negative - I'm actually really impressed at this wave of newer fans. It keeps things fresh for everyone, IMO.

Three songs off of Road Apples, two from DFN, then one apiece from UTH, FC, TATH, PP, IVL and IBE. Flamenco was beautiful, Scared was a thrill and Thugs was just a MF'ing bonus. The breakdown in 100th was awesome, as was Blow (I usually don't like that song, so admitting this is like eating a huge piece of humble pie).

All in all, a wicked show. I don't know if I've seen the band this "on" in a long time. Gord was on top of his game - simply amazing lyrically, and a much greater presence musically than during previous tours. Thanks go out to the band and you fellow fans for making it a great show. I'm looking forward to the next two here in Cowtown.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just back from the gig and my ears are ringing like crazy. Amazing show and one of the best I've ever seen! Thugs, Flamenco, Scared, Long Time Running, Three Pistols...ya couldn't have asked for much more. The new songs all sound incredible and the band was really on fire. This new album really seems to have re-energized them in a very positive way, and the entire band looks like they're having an absolute blast up there. They've always been amazing live, but there just seems to be something special in the air with these new songs and this current tour. They've never sounded better!
Billy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Billy »

One thing I noticed tonight was much more interaction between Gord D. and the rest of the guys. He spoke to Robbie a few times and gave him a pat on the back at one point, and he spoke to both Gord S. and Paul at various times. I don't recall so much of this in past shows. He also jumped in the audience at the end of Little Bones and introduced himself to people and shook hands...never seen that before.

He gave a nice intro to Gus about a polar bear that died recently in TO. Some dude yelled out that he grew up at that zoo, so Gord made some good jokes about that. At another point, some guy yelled something to him, and Gord made the crack that he sounded like Billy Talent, but in a good way, then he proceeded to yell in a high voice...I presume that's how Billy Talent sounds??

The band really seemed to be having a blast up there tonight.
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Good, but not nearly as good as night 1. Like frozen yogurt after ice cream.

Songs checked by not played:

Are We Family?
Cordelia
Let's Stay Engaged
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

daylight wrote:Good, but not nearly as good as night 1. Like frozen yogurt after ice cream.

Songs checked by not played:

Are We Family?
Cordelia
Let's Stay Engaged
Do you mean that they were on the setlist, but not played?
Or that they played this during the sound check, and they didn't play it?
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

So, they're warming up Let's Stay Engaged and Cordelia??

Wicked!

Let's Stay Engaged is my white whale from TATH.

ct
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

sean.bonner wrote:[Do you mean that they were on the setlist, but not played?
Or that they played this during the sound check, and they didn't play it?
B.

Luckily the venue is within a big university building, so we got to listen while we were in line. Let's Stay Engaged was especially sweet (though not as sweet as the previous night's soundcheck for me).
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »