2006-10-30 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-10-30 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Hall

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
keithtalent
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by keithtalent »

just got back from calgary night 3. here's the setlist, probably not in the exact order:

family band
courage
in view
lake fever
daddy
luv(sic)
puttin' down
grace
drop-off
gems
kids
fully
fly
sherpa
bobcaygeon
container
ocean
rink
---
pretend
escape
fire

family band worked really well as an opener. courage was awesome, gord let the crowd take over in the middle. fever was introduced with the cholera outbreak story similar to the version from fort york.

"northtrop frye said love is the only virtue there is and i said 'f**k yeah!'"

gems and don't wake daddy were the highlights for me. gord was using the red hankerchief as a matador's cape before one of the tracks, can't recall which one. the last three nights are starting to all blend together, i'm sure i'm forgetting a lot from tonight! anyway, see you wednesday music lovers.
clayton_k
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by clayton_k »

I went to the UofC tonight to just listen to the concert from outside while I worked on a report and about 3 or 4 songs into it some very generous guy gave me one of his tickets. I think he said something about getting stood up by a couple of friends and I thought he was kidding me - I actually asked him "Are you serious?".

The concert rocked - Gords voice is ridiculously awesome, and Johnny beat the hell out of those drums.

Kelman congrats on the setlist on Sat night, thanks for letting me play paparazzi on it. I tried snagging one tonight and I had a roadie on one side giving out setlists, and a roadie on the other side going for a handfull of Gord's guitar picks...I made my choice and went for the picks and landed a GD pick. I'll store it in my guitar case next to my Rob Baker one from Saturday night!

What an awesome week!
gambler
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by gambler »

Tonight's setlist:

1. Family Band
2. Courage
3. In View
4. Lake Fever
5. The Drop Off
6. Don't Wake Daddy
7. Puttin' Down
8. Luv(sic)
9. Grace, Too
10. Bobcaygeon
11. World Container
12. Fully Completely
13. Fly
14. The Last Of The Unplucked Gems
15. The Kids Don't Get It
16. Sherpa
17. Yer Not The Ocean
18. Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
19. The Lonely End Of The Rink
---
20. Pretend
21. Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
22. Fire In The Hole

What a damn fine show... way better than last night, IMO. Sherpa and Gems were rare... well, gems, and hearing FC, Locked and Escape was pretty damn good too. Can't wait 'til Wednesday!
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

Well I gotta say this is the best Hip show I've been too. So many good tunes, and I finally got to hear my favourite one, Escape is at Hand...I got a set list from one of the roadies so here is the exact set:

Family
Courage
View
Lake Fever
Drop Off
Don't Wake Daddy
Puttin Down
Luv (Sic)
Grance Too
Bobc
World
Fully
Fly
Gems
Kids
Sherpa
Ocean
Rink

Pretend
Escape
Fire
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Bah, way better setlist than night 2. Wish I'd lied to the boss about being snowed in, or something.
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Pretty much a dream setlist, I really wanted to see FC, and love don't wake Daddy. I guess that's what I get for not going to all 4 shows...

I guess that means they saved the Dark Canuck, Vapor trails, Opiated and maybe Tiger for Wed
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

Calgary, cmon, where are all the reviews and comments. You guys aren't hipped out are you?

ct
surferguy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by surferguy »

The review is coming, just busy at work....noon will be my writting time. Just trying to figure out a way to describe Grace Too. I hope your guys in Vancouver and Montreal are ready for what is coming to you... These club dates will go down in history as some of the best live shows this band has ever done. I said it!!!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

surferguy wrote:These club dates will go down in history as some of the best live shows this band has ever done. I said it!!!
Agreed! I wasn't there last night, but I was there on Sunday and it was freakin' incredible. They've never sounded better, and the long lost gems they've been pulling out from the vault have made this tour very unique.
bug_superstar79
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bug_superstar79 »

I went to the first 2 nights of Calgary...and decided to go back to Saskatoon. I can't f'ing believe I missed this show. They played 2 of my favorite songs...gems, escape is at hand....not to mention don't wake daddy. Congrats to all those who got to see the show. Hopefully the crowd was better than Sunday.
surferguy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by surferguy »

It was GRACE TOO that turned teh crowd into a mad house. Yes teh crowd was better...

The long drawn out into to Grace basically turned the crowd into a frothing mob just waiting to sing along....

I still get the chills thinking about it
aaronck
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by aaronck »

Totally agree with you Bug, I just assumed that 3 out of 4 would be good enough, then you see the setlist....
TLB
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by TLB »

decent setlist, nothing too exciting. Daddy & Sherpa were cool.

just a normal vibe for us - once you see Fiddlers Green & Thugs, it's hard to stack up other setlists next to them.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Great show last night. Loved the intro to Gems and the version of Fire In the Hole last night was the best I've seen. Grace was fantastic as always and Daddy and Sherpa were incredible. Gord screwed up a bit at the start of Escape and said, I'm gonna start over, okay? Or something to that effect.

The new songs are sounding awesome. Family Band was a great opener. Kids, Drop Off and Rink are great live, full of energy and the crowd was loving them.

Fully was great, Gord was figting the mic again and the mic actually got a good shot in at him right in the eye. Looked like it caught him off gaurd a bit and he was kinda feeling his face to make sure he was alright. Funny stuff.

Can't wait for Wed. Hopefully they break out Penguin and Another Midnight.